• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Telluride vs GV80 - is it worth upgrading to a GV80?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
Not even sure the Telluride would be comparable to this due to its FWD-based drive dynamics, and the fact that it's a class larger of a vehicle than the GV80. It's meant for a different audience who want a people mover instead of a luxury high-sitting grand tourer.

That being said, I am curious if the 116-inch wheelbase of the new platform will be carried over to the new G80. I hope it doesn't, because one of the most distinguished aspects of the G80 was having the longest platform in its class at 118.5 inches- the same as some full-size luxury sedans. Not only did it make it drive better than some of its rivals with air suspension, it also made it look incredibly dramatic, almost Jaguar XJ-like.

KANE

Registered Member
Front drive - based vs rear drive - based. Just picture the basic design without a body, just a "frame." What are the physics with the heavy engine hanging out in front of the front axle line as in the front drive - based design, or the engine mostly or completely behind the front axle line. There is a reason that all but the lowest models of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Jaguar, and even the Hyundai group are rear wheel drive - based designs.
Is that because of size of Telluride that it cant be a RWD ?

Last edited:

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Based on what I have read on this forum, folks say it's a FWD platform

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you mean the 3.8L? There is no 3.3 for the Telluride and Palisade, and I noticed you said feels slow in those. It would probably feel faster than that NA 3.8.
Sorry, I meant 3.8L.

the 3.8 in the Hyundai/Kia makes essentially the same power as the Ford Explorer, Toyota Highlander, and Honda Pilot, roughly 291 horsepower and 262 lb-ft of torque

yeah the 2.3L TURBO would feel faster as the turbo gives it a lower torque curve, but it is the same power 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft of torque.

however if you read the tow capacity specs on the Ford, it is only 2,000lbs with a class 1 hitch and 3,000 with a class 2, even the AWD, the Turbo V6 with 400hp can get you a 5,000 lb tow cap, but is $20,000 MORE in price.

The Telluride and the Palisade both come with a 5,000 tow capacity from the base model up.
You are looking at the old Explorer. In the current one (2020), the 2.3L turbo makes 300hp and 310tq and tows 5300lbs. The 3L turbo's tow 5600lbs and in Canada anyway, only cost about $10K more msrp (loaded vs loaded).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to tow 5000lbs with that engine or the 3.8L in the Telluride/Palisade. But I think it is very unfortunate that the only engine available in those SUV's have less power than the base 4 cylinder in the Explorer.

benboy12

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I would be interesting in seeing a comparison between the GV80 and the Palisade/Telluride. I know they are on different platforms, but I’m interested from an interior perspective too. For example, is the Nappa leather in the Palisade the same as what’s in the GV80?

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was in a Telluride and was very impressed. I'm not impressed by the drive train and the look is not my favorite, but overall, it's a great value and an SUV I would strongly consider if I wanted or needed a large SUV and or could only afford something in that segment.

I don't feel it's fair to compare the two SUV's. The Genesis has taken things to a different level. The looks (subjective of course) are so much nicer for the GV80 as are some of the color options. That extra money goes into a better drivetrain etc..

ON paper and in reviews it seems like both are close to the leaders in their segments. I go over the 'Hyundai' badging once their cars became reliable a few years ago, unlike most of my friends who have to have a European badge. Most won't even look at the Lexus brand. I just like a great car. Heck, I love the Mazda's look and drive, lol.

Vaidhy

Getting familiar with the group...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I just like a great car. Heck, I love the Mazda's look and drive, lol.
Mazda has been killing it for the past couple of years. Good looking cars with very nice interiors!

KANE

Registered Member
I was in a Telluride and was very impressed. I'm not impressed by the drive train and the look is not my favorite, but overall, it's a great value and an SUV I would strongly consider if I wanted or needed a large SUV and or could only afford something in that segment.

I don't feel it's fair to compare the two SUV's. The Genesis has taken things to a different level. The looks (subjective of course) are so much nicer for the GV80 as are some of the color options. That extra money goes into a better drivetrain etc..

ON paper and in reviews it seems like both are close to the leaders in their segments. I go over the 'Hyundai' badging once their cars became reliable a few years ago, unlike most of my friends who have to have a European badge. Most won't even look at the Lexus brand. I just like a great car. Heck, I love the Mazda's look and drive, lol.
I like boxy SUVs so I like Range Rovers or Telluride or Tahoe or Denali.
not a fan of vehicles looking like Santa Fe or Nissan or Mazda.
personal preference I guess..looks are subjective

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I WANT ONE!!!!! WOW!!!!

I think I found my current Cadillac Escalade future replacement; hopeful the GV80 value depreciates like the G80 sedan or worst so that I can buy a used cheap($25k-$30k) fully optioned out model by 2024.:)
I like boxy SUVs so I like Range Rovers or Telluride or Tahoe or Denali.
not a fan of vehicles looking like Santa Fe or Nissan or Mazda.
personal preference I guess..looks are subjective
of course it’s subjective. Heck I love the look of many. The Jag to me is beautiful but I too like the Land Rover. I was looking at a Discovery Sport model.

I just feel that the Genesis nailed the look for me.

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

KANE

Registered Member
Yep; purely subjective.

I'm on my third Genesis, and for all the right reasons.
Our family situation calls for a crossover or mid-sized SUV, so I've been following the introduction of the GV80 eagerly. But what I've seen so far is just another fancy SUV. Granted, likely furthering the Genesis quality brand but..
My F Pace's presence, its simple, flowing elegant look, evokes the unmatchable E Type Jag. As of now, I'm keeping it.

View attachment 26899
How would you rate reliability/ownership costs/driving handling and performance compared to Genesis owned by you till date?

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ctsooner

Registered Member
Berlin, CT
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Great write up, thanks. I love getting the F Pace as a loaner. I have had a few electrical issues with mine. I love the 5 year service too. They offer HUGE discounts on Jag's in Aug/Sept to move last years models. If I get a Jag, it would be around this time as my Jag lease is up at the end of Sept. They know I'd have to have the S with a few of the goodies. They really are a blast to drive. Most folks don't understand. I drive much slower in the Jag than my Wife's Audi and I have the S sedan, lol.

I'm hoping the GV80 will be a decent handler. Money will be very very close after the 10% off that Jag offers before cutting into the dealer profits, lol. Just not as many goodies and I'd have to get the color combo I wanted. If the SVR isn't moving, they will try to get me into that one, but I told them it would have to be for near their own cost with the rebates, lol. :)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums