Temp gauge reading on 2017 G90 3.3

karasdad

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle, WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
After hearing about the coolant leaking issues I've become more aware of the engine temp gauge reading. I've observed that mine settles in between the quarter mark and the half way marking. I'm curious if that's consistent with your observations, thanks.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would prefer it to be set at the half way mark like most of my recent vehicles. Reason, straight up and I don't have to think about it. It's a relative setting anyway. I don't remember from my younger days, but I think car thermostats are normally set to either 160 or 180 degrees F. Since this is a Korean vehicle, maybe this one is set to whatever the numbers would be in celsius. Same difference, I'm old school and straight up is in the GREEN.

ogogolby

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My 018 Ultimate reads just below half

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
On my V8 with OBD reading through the phone app, coolant operating temp ranging from 190-220F. A bit higher than my other Toyota/Lexus 181-200F.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Bought a bottle of coolant for the trunk. Will be checking the levels weekly.
I wasn't saying anything about the temperature guage other than I would prefer it to be set so that the needle is straight up at operation temperature. I doubt there's more than a couple of vehicle that may have leaks in the cooling system. If you do and you're on the road, bottled water will work fine. Certainly nothing to worry about.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
I wasn't saying anything about the temperature guage other than I would prefer it to be set so that the needle is straight up at operation temperature. I doubt there's more than a couple of vehicle that may have leaks in the cooling system. If you do and you're on the road, bottled water will work fine. Certainly nothing to worry about.
Prefer to be prepared.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Certainly nothing to worry about - that is ridiculous. I experienced my car overheating on the freeway. The week before I was on interstate between Phoenix and San Diego, one mile north of Mexico. Would you worry about it when you overheated there? Stop minimizing a serious problem on a new vehicle with less than 8k miles. Carrying coolant or water is ridiculous - take it to the dealership and make them fix the faulty o rings, NOW. To settle and accept this flaw is saying it is ok I'll wait until my car overheats.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
If it overheated on the Interstate between Phoenix and San Diego, wonder how long I would be out there waiting for a tow truck. Then where would they tow the car? How long would it be before I got the car back. Would I have gotten a loaner from a Hyundai dealer somewhere between Phoenix and San Diego and would a California Hyundai let me take their loaner to Arizona? The ramifications of a known problem is very large, and until it happens to you, with family in the car, you will not take this problem seriously. Users can make things better, do not accept, I will wait until it happens.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Carrying coolant or water is ridiculous - take it to the dealership and make them fix the faulty o rings,
Curious what you mean by "O rings"? As far as I know, the main reason a car would overheat is low on coolant or a bad thermostat. You shouldn't be low on coolant unless you have a leak.

When you say your G90 overheated, did you get a warning?

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Curious what you mean by "O rings"? As far as I know, the main reason a car would overheat is low on coolant or a bad thermostat. You shouldn't be low on coolant unless you have a leak.

When you say your G90 overheated, did you get a warning?
The G90 has transmission cooling radiator connect with pipes and hoses, the little rubber sealing in the coupler called "O rings". Somehow, the original O-rings are bad and cause a very slow leak which you may not know until it's too late.
You'll only get a warning on the dash when the engine overheated and it could mean your engine will need new cylinders and head gasket.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Starflyer - Please read all the posts on this. The overheating is due to a slow leak of coolant because there is an o ring leak. It took my vehicle 10 months for it to finally overheat. There is a TSB out on how to fix this. It seems to be on V8. I got no warning except the day it overheated and the message was on my dash and the gage read H - hot. However, when I first got the car I did smell a coolant odor which went away after about a month, but 10 months later the overheating. Some headings are transmission fluid leak, o ring leak, coolant leak. All one in the same.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.