Test Drive question

canucklehead604

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
i have a question, possibly a dumb one, for those who have done a test drive through a GXM. when they 'bring the car to you' for the test drive, is it a representative demo model? or is it the specific car you may have ordered (assuming they have it in stock)?

i.e., if you ordered a 3.3T AWD Sport or a 2.0T RWD 6MT Sport, will they bring you that demo vehicle of that same trim? or your actual vehicle? my assumption is that the dealers have one demo of every trim, and will bring the suitably spec'd demo as the test vehicle.

i am used to be able to go in to a dealer and try several trims out to compare between them. this 'bring the demo to you' sales model is new for me...

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They don't have new vehicle stock, only a handful of dedicated demonstrators. That's the beauty - all stock is owned by Genesis Canada and stored at the port or local compounds. If you buy a car you're allocated a brand new one, with no miles on it. No one gets a car with 600 km of demo miles on it - the few demo cars they do have get far more miles and are resold as used cars.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They don't have new vehicle stock, only a handful of dedicated demonstrators. That's the beauty - all stock is owned by Genesis Canada and stored at the port or local compounds. If you buy a car you're allocated a brand new one, with no miles on it. No one gets a car with 600 km of demo miles on it - the few demo cars they do have get far more miles and are resold as used cars.
They still have new vehicle stock in every major city. Like you mentioned, no matter which city it is in, it is owned by Genesis Canada, but you can go look at cars sitting in a lot even though that isn't their main selling strategy. But I went for a drive with the GXM and walked the lot in Edmonton to look at the different colors in the sun as I wasn't sure on color.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Isn't delivery a week or more if not nearby? Sure, most of us can wait but I drove into the dealer at 1 PM and drove out with my G80 at 4 PM. Most miles I had on a new car was 43. With your example of 600 km it would be heavily discounted if they had one like that. If the dealer does not have what you want in stock, they often do a swap. Sometimes they drive rather than carry them though so it could add 100 miles.

Your system probably makes it easier to get the exact model and color you want. The dealer experience in the states is spotty no matter the brand. Would be good to see how the Canada system would work here.

canucklehead604

Thread starter #9
looks like the first 2.0T Sports are not being allocated as demo models. test drives of this trim are done in the pre-ordered units as spec'd by the prospective owner. in other words, the demo test drives will be in the actual vehicle the potential buyer had pre-ordered.

this is contrary to all the above feedback, but it seems to be the case nonetheless. perhaps this is some wrinkle specific to the 2.0T Sport trim only?

Last edited:

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Isn't delivery a week or more if not nearby? Sure, most of us can wait but I drove into the dealer at 1 PM and drove out with my G80 at 4 PM. Most miles I had on a new car was 43. With your example of 600 km it would be heavily discounted if they had one like that. If the dealer does not have what you want in stock, they often do a swap. Sometimes they drive rather than carry them though so it could add 100 miles.

Your system probably makes it easier to get the exact model and color you want. The dealer experience in the states is spotty no matter the brand. Would be good to see how the Canada system would work here.
It’s too bad Genesis is not able to do this in the US. We all like to think of the US as a place of free market and capitalism and all that. Actually, our economy, especially when it concerns cars, is highly regulated and cumbersome. Yes, much of it is necessary for consumer protection, but in other ways it slows things down.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.