Test drove genesis today. My driving experience.

Jerrie86

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hi there,

I am in market for Genesis 2015/16 model and drove 2015 3.8 today and was impressed by the way it looked. The doors were so heavy that it felt like I had put some force to open those up. That felt solid.
The moment I entered into the cabin, the cabin was very well laid out and way more spacious than my A4 but it didn't feel that modern as compared to other cars in the segment. Also , the feel of Steering wheel was underwhelming comparing to my 09 A4. However the car seats were very comfortable and the panaromic roof looked beautiful.

Now came the time to drive this beauty. There was barely any road noise and drove like a knife on a butter. No road noise, didnt feel any bumps and the steering felt solid. I am coming from an A4(3.2 V6) and thought 3.8 V6 2015 model would outperform it , however, felt like power was tamed in this car and doesnt have that acceleration I was hoping for even in the sport mode. Maybe it was done in order to keep the ride more even and keeping comfort as the main priority. In total, it is not as fun to drive as my older car but definitely aces in another department such as comfort, quietness and road noise.

I am going to test drive 2016 soon and see if its any different in driving. What were your first driving experiences on Genesis?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Monkey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hi there,

I am in market for Genesis 2015/16 model and drove 2015 3.8 today and was impressed by the way it looked. The doors were so heavy that it felt like I had put some force to open those up. That felt solid.
The moment I entered into the cabin, the cabin was very well laid out and way more spacious than my A4 but it didn't feel that modern as compared to other cars in the segment. Also , the feel of Steering wheel was underwhelming comparing to my 09 A4. However the car seats were very comfortable and the panaromic roof looked beautiful.

Now came the time to drive this beauty. There was barely any road noise and drove like a knife on a butter. No road noise, didnt feel any bumps and the steering felt solid. I am coming from an A4(3.2 V6) and thought 3.8 V6 2015 model would outperform it , however, felt like power was tamed in this car and doesnt have that acceleration I was hoping for even in the sport mode. Maybe it was done in order to keep the ride more even and keeping comfort as the main priority. In total, it is not as fun to drive as my older car but definitely aces in another department such as comfort, quietness and road noise.

I am going to test drive 2016 soon and see if its any different in driving. What were your first driving experiences on Genesis?
I just picked up a 16’ Ultimate 5.0 awd. It’s a blast to drive. I traded a C6 Corvette in on it and this is a great combination of. luxury and sport. Try one.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Hi there,

I loved my 2015 Genesis 5.0 from day one. It handles like a decent sport sedan while being as quick as many smaller sport sedans even for it large size. It is good combination of luxury and performance that do not cost as much a house to obtain.:)

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
felt like power was tamed in this car and doesnt have that acceleration I was hoping for even in the sport mode. Maybe it was done in order to keep the ride more even and keeping comfort as the main priority.
Yup, it's not meant to be a sports sedan. If you're looking for "fun to drive" you're looking in the wrong place.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I've never driven the V6 model so I can't rate it. I was taken by the 5.0 Tau when I first test drove an Equus. I thought long and hard about a Genesis R Spec but the next generation won me over. My 2015 5.0 Ultimate makes me enjoy driving. Combining value, comfort, and performance into one package that while some others may better it in one category, I haven't found anything superior to it when all three factors are considered.

P.S. And our decision to buy another Hyundai product was supported by the excellent value/performance we have with our 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited. I've NEVER had a new car that was as problem-free as it is. Other than regular maintenance and tires....nothing else.

Jerrie86

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yup, it's not meant to be a sports sedan. If you're looking for "fun to drive" you're looking in the wrong place.
Yea < I really like the way it looked and Audi has spoiled me I think.

Jerrie86

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My Sonata was in the shop overnight when the dealer screwed up the ECU. They gave me a 2014 to use as a loaner. Next day my wife and I were going out and we put about 75 miles on it. We loved it. The 2015s were out for about 6 months so I decided to drive one and we got a good deal so I bought it.

I find the 3.8 to be adequate. It is a great luxury cruise. If you want a sportier car with better acceleration, the 5.0 will do it for you. I personally could not justify the additional cost, but perhaps you can, especially on the used market where the difference is now less.
I guess I will try the 5.0 as well. but additional cost and gas mileage is something would be little worry some.

J Dixon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I guess I will try the 5.0 as well. but additional cost and gas mileage is something would be little worry some.
I drive somewhat conservatively (meaning it ain't a daily race) and I average around 20mpg with mixed driving, and have flirted with 29mpg all-highway. I'm currently trying my first tank of regular instead of 93 octane, and I don't notice much difference in performance or mpg. The 15-23 ratings on the 5.0 worried me at first, but if you drive with limited need to floor it (or stay in SPORT mode), I think you can be confident to get better mpg than the sticker implies.
This is the first car I've owned where I've seen a noticeable drop off in mpg in rainy conditions (lose 2-3 mpg in heavy rain). Can't explain that.

My biggest gripe with this car is how far down the seat belt connector is for the driver!

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
LOL. If you are really concerned about fuel economy then do not buy the V8 engine. Just stick with turbocharged four cylinder engines or DI V6 engines.

However, remember you got to pay to play.:)

Jerrie86

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
LOL. If you are really concerned about fuel economy then do not buy the V8 engine. Just stick with turbocharged four cylinder engines or DI V6 engines.

However, remember you got to pay to play.:)
Yea I get that and thought V6 should be good enough to play as my older V6 car.

Aurally

Hasn't posted much yet...
Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
I think the main problem with acceleration feel is in the transmission, not the engine. In normal mode, it is usually two gears too high. Sport mode is more aggressive, especially since it doesn't use the 7th and 8th gear, but still likes to up shift. The only workaround in my mind is to manually shift down two gears before you even step on the throttle, let the engine rev up to around 4000 rpm first before you make the intended maneuver.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I think the main problem with acceleration feel is in the transmission, not the engine. In normal mode, it is usually two gears too high. Sport mode is more aggressive, especially since it doesn't use the 7th and 8th gear, but still likes to up shift. The only workaround in my mind is to manually shift down two gears before you even step on the throttle, let the engine rev up to around 4000 rpm first before you make the intended maneuver.
You may be correct about the gear selection, but the Genesis also have some sort of throttle delay program which gradually opens the throttle body regardless of how hard the gas pedal is pressed based on different parameters like gear,speed,etc. The throttle sensitivity is based on the drive mode with Sport mode being the most aggressive setting. However, even Sport mode is restrictive and is just a bit less gradual than Normal mode.

Aftermarket throttle tuner modules like Sprint Booster and Pedal Commander helps eliminate the throttle-by wire programming lag and gives the throttle more of an 1:1 ratio without the added delay.

Jamesalanb

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
if you're still thinking about mileage, I'll add that my 16' AWD is what some would consider - a boat.
I am not light footed at all, 75% city, and average an EPA accurate 16-17 mpg. That ain't good, but I knew it going into the purchase. My last car averaged 23 but I was paying .50-.60 more per gallon, as I was using premium. Saving 15-20% at the pump and losing 25% in MPG.
Fair trade for a larger, more comfortable, stronger, and better appointed family sedan. Coming from a tuned turbo 4, I find the 311 hp V6 to be plenty strong.

Kon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
if you're still thinking about mileage, I'll add that my 16' AWD is what some would consider - a boat.
I am not light footed at all, 75% city, and average an EPA accurate 16-17 mpg. That ain't good, but I knew it going into the purchase. My last car averaged 23 but I was paying .50-.60 more per gallon, as I was using premium. Saving 15-20% at the pump and losing 25% in MPG.
Fair trade for a larger, more comfortable, stronger, and better appointed family sedan. Coming from a tuned turbo 4, I find the 311 hp V6 to be plenty strong.
The gas mileage in the AWD 3.8 really is terrible.

I always drive like an old geezer and manage to get 19 mpg in my Sequoia, which is a ~6,000 lb. vehicle with a 5.7 liter engine. In the Genesis I'm averaging about the same. If I use the adaptive cruise control it's only worse -- that system loves to accelerate quickly even in Eco mode with the follow distance on 4.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Monkey

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The 5.0 is hard on fuel but I also knew that going into the purchase. I have a somewhat heavy foot.

verwey83

Registered Member
WI #920
bought a '15 5.0 in may of 2015 and love it!, use it mainly for road trips and personally think its a highway machine. have only logged 13k miles on it but have not had any of the previously mentioned issues. dealer experience has been great. i knew i wanted the v8 and mileage was not even top 10 concern for me but i feel the v8 really is the way to go...... for what its worth i get about 23-24mpg with cruise set at 100, 20'' wheels...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.