Test pipes aka secondary cat delete pipes

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yep. Nice sound from engine, little added noise out at the rear. Passed emissions without a problem. When you see these cats you see the amount of inside restriction with the fine wires. Seems slightly more responsive particularly at high rpm( over 4000 to 6500). Engine definitely loves them off.

Thread starter #5

Jimmie

Hasn't posted much yet...
Jackson MS
Yep. Nice sound from engine, little added noise out at the rear. Passed emissions without a problem. When you see these cats you see the amount of inside restriction with the fine wires. Seems slightly more responsive particularly at high rpm( over 4000 to 6500). Engine definitely loves them off.
Roc did you order test pipes or took them off and had pipe welded in?

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Got the bolt in ones. Came with gaskets and easy to replace cats. Exact bolt in fit. No need to weld.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Test pipes I got fit both 3.8 & 5.0 Sedans. Not sure about coupe. Someone else must answer that.

mcieutat

Covington, LA
Genesis Model Type
roc i am not at all computer literate but i am searching for the test pipes and not having any luck. i checked msa and wasnt able to find. would you have a part number for them?

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Ok Guys. Know your frustration. Called MSA directly and talked to owner. Said only had one or 2 per month so stopped making them . HOWEVER, said if he had 10 new orders he would gladly start up a new run again and keep same price of $100 for set. His Phone # is 501-327-6637. They are redoing their web site so best to call, I guess.. It's up to the Genesis sedan group to see if you can get 10 or more. They will fit the 1st & 2nd Gens 3.8 & 5.0 sedans. Good luck. They do make a difference and simply bolt in.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I've actually been recently wanting some and even put aside the money for them (didn't realize they were out of prod). Should we start a list in this thread? I can DEF do $100.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Another no cost option might be to just cut out the innards of the 2nd cats you have, or use them as a mock up to have a decent welder/muffler shop make up a pair of cat deletes. Not astrophysics. Once made, it is a simple bolt in and you are done.

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
It is very easy to "gut" the innards of 2nd cats. I've done it. First, remove the cat(s). Then use a pipe or similar instrument with a hammer to knock out the innards. These mods to cats are "non-detect", except the car may not now pass a California-type "sniff test". I live in OR where we do not have smog tests.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
May not be a problem because emission sensors are up stream from 2nd cats. Passes Md OBV emissions each time and no trouble codes recorded. If really concerned just have a local muffler shop duplicate the cats external design with made up "test pipe". nothing special in its design, construction, take off or put on effort- 2 nuts and bolts for each one. They mount flush as originals so no insertion problems. Can even use original gaskets if taken off gently.

Genesis Device

Hi guys and gals

Longtime lurker, 1st time poster...with MSA no longer manufacturing test pipes, does anyone know by chance if a test pipe for a coupe will work on the sedan? I know the question was asked earlier in this thread, just giving it a bump. Coupe test pipes are a dime a dozen out there and I know they are the same for both the 2.0 and 3.8 in that application. I know it's apples to oranges but one lives in hope that Hyundai used the same cat on both the coupe and sedan.

Now if only I could get my hands on an x pipe too...

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
I suspect a coupe test pipe will work on any sedan. Do a cross check of part numbers, and I think you will find that these secondary cats are exactly the same, coupe or sedan.
Magnuson and Dynomax (sic) make cheap X pipes.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.