Test pipes aka secondary cat delete pipes

Genesis Device

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thanks Rey & J fields...did some research and hassled some Hyundai service techs and the coupe secondary cats are the same both coupe and sedan so test pipes are good to go...ordered. Great news about MSA, will order shortly. Was going to get an x pipe and have the rest fabbed to match up but if MSA are still selling I can just slap it in once the weather gets decent....thanks!

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Genesis Device is entirely correct. The 3.8 coupe 2nd cats have the same part # as the 5.0 R Spec., so test pipes will fit. GD, If you got the part # for the "Test Pipes" please post it so others that want to delete the 2 cats can get them through the company. By the way what is the $$$ for the pair?

Genesis Device

Ok good and bad news...contacted MSA and no go on the xpipe, no longer manufactured...I also happened to ask if they had test pipes. They said they might have some left in stock but never bothered to get back to me so I'll assume no on that as well. However did find an xpipe by itself on Amazon and a local shop will fab it into place for me. Just Google "Lawson xpipe" and you'll find it. I tried to paste the link but I suck. - lol. Test pipes I found on a local classified site we have in Canada called Kijiji - not sure if that's avail in the US but it was a local pick up sale. Just a dude who had made a bunch up and was selling locally. I'll contact him again and see if he's willing to ship. Hopefully I get back with good news. Paid $40 each.

Last edited:

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
MSA told me a month ago that they did not have test pipes but were willing to start a new run if enough (10-12) subscribed. See my above replies. However knowing this site, we never get enough REAL players to get any good orders, just words.. Also,were you able to get the Hyundai part # for their factory test pipes? You know they will fit. Your Canadian source @ $80 plus shipping W/gaskets per pair is about what MSA was charging($109 incl shipping).

Genesis Device

Sigh...the douchebag that said he was making them apparently does not. After getting in touch with him again and mentioning there was some interest here, he came clean and he got them "from ebay or something". And he only had one test pipe left, not "lots" as he claimed. Either way, I have mine, but did some looking around and found this set at gctuner.com: http://gctuner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_129&products_id=852#.WnRJ_8uvA0M

Further searching, found an even cheaper set on ebay.ca's website...put in "test pipe genesis" and found a set for $105 + $15 for shipping. I'd paste the link but I'm using the app on my phone, don't know how. If they're willing to ship internationally, the exchange will likely pay for the shipping if you're in the States. Likely where said douchebag got them. Either way he took a bath on them so I don't care lol.

Today the xpipe gets welded in, cost me a manicure to silence the wife, but well worth it I think...quieter wife, louder car, win win.

Genesis Device

Ok tried to reply early this am...but did not post so here's the abridged version:

Dude that sold me the test pipes and said he had "lots more" had only 1 left and said he got them off of ebay. Found these from gctuners.com: http://gctuner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_129&products_id=852&zenid=52a1d203a926e5e0c3d851a4bf007502#.WnT0aMuvA0M

$129 plus extras

Did a search on ebay.ca and found cat deletes for $105 + $15 CDN. If they are willing to ship internationally then the exchange would pay for the shipping if you're in the States. Search "cat delete genesis". Would paste the link but found it in my phone app, don't know how to do it.

As an aside, had the xpipe welded in today, very happy, can't wait to bolt the test pipes in! Only cost me installation and nail jobs for the wife & daughter. Win win.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
Just talked to a Hyundai parts mgr. They have the "test pipes" and a part #, but unfortunately can't sell them to general public because of EPA requirements. Would be fined. Said, yes deleting 2nd cats does make a nice power difference and the vehicle will still pass emissions testing. However, said just take them off and go to local neighborhood pipe bender and have it copied so you can revert whenever to original.Not a bid deal. They are getting similar calls now that the car is on the 2ndary used market with guys looking for more performance.

Genesis Device

Good news all around...thanks Roc for confirming e test pass, I would assume a cat delete wouldn't throw a dtc as most tests these days is just a matter of plugging into the obd port and scanning for trouble codes.

Got in touch with the Canadian vendor for the deletes I mentioned earlier and they are fine with shipping to the US. They are a reputable hot rod shop in Toronto that just fab them up themselves.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Genesis-Coupe-Secondary-Cat-Deletes-Testpipe-3-8L-2008-2016-Left-Right-Sides/273051503910?hash=item3f93234d26:g:QBEAAOSw1JVaFizf

This will likely take you to the Canadian ebay and form there message the vendor. Hope this helps with anyone still looking for a set of deletes on the BH.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
One reason it passes emission tests is that the last O2 sensor is up stream from the 2nd cats, thus anything read out is before the 2nd cats. Good luck. Think you will enjoy them and also the slightly more throaty exhaust note. Be surprised at the blockage by the internals of the 2nd cats when you remove them. Hard to believe the engine gets any exhaust out with them on.

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I just sold my 4.6 today (delete pipes now off the old car). Getting a '15 or '16 soon. Does anyone know if the 2011 4.6 delete pipes will fit a 2015 or 2016 5.0?

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
is the reason for the 2nd cats simply for California emission?
After removing the (40lb each stock mufflers) I can only imagine the extra weight and restriction in seemingly unnecessary pieces.

MrBonez

I jus gutted mine and it wasn't hard at all took about an hour. Car feels a little smoother And and my mpg seems to be a lil better. Jus save your money and gut them.

Paul

Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
Do a search for a place called CNT. They sell a set of 3.8 coupe test pipes for $149 that WILL fit the 5.0. They are currently sold out but I would think that they should be in stock fairly shortly. CNT Test pipes

As another option, go to your local exhaust shop and have them fabricate a set of test pipes for you. You 'might' pay $150..

Here's the deal; secondary cats on the 2.0 turbo, 3.8, 4.6 and 5.0 are all the same size @ approximately 10.5" in length with 2.5" flanges. Simple stuff. ~Or~~ You can go the ghetto way and hollow out the secondary cats. For those that have a cat-back exhaust on the V-8, don't be surprised if you get some weird harmonics created by the shape of the cat body, it tends to add a sort of drone that might be annoying to some.

From an emissions standpoint, the only purpose for the secondary cats is to add some extra emissions scrubbing for those unfortunate enough to live in California. The secondary cats aren't monitored and there is absolutely no negative harm from removing them. (Unless you're a tree hugging hippie, in which case you should be driving a Prius, not a 430hp, full size sedan!)

Scorp

Genesis Model Type
If someone sends me a message, I have a set of pipes available. They came off my 2011, don't fit on the 2015 I now drive.
Can't send you a message, probably because I am new.

I recently acquired a 2G 5.0, you're saying that the cats are a different size than the 1G?

inmanlanier

Getting familiar with the group...
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Genesis Model Type
That's correct. The old system had the rear Cats bolted into the exhaust. The 2nd generation 5.0 has the rear cat included in a portion of piping (tubing if you want to get technical about it!).