Thank You to MapnSoft for unbricking my Nav!

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I recently purchased a 2016 Ultimate with only 11303 miles. I checked and found that the Nav software and maps were still from 2015! Apparently the little old man who previously owned the Equus never went anywhere and saw no need to keep current. I sent my 140 bucks off to MapnSoft and a week later received the thumb drive containing the latest revision.
The install went smoothly...right up until the last step. The screen asked me if I wanted to now install the latest version. I foolishly clicked on Yes! Nothing worked after that, I had no control over the Nav screen and nothing would show except an intermittent Equus symbol. Arrrgghhhh. No HVAC control, no radio and needless to say no Nav. It was now 11:15 pm and I did exactly what the screen had warned me against -I shut the engine off. I sure wasn't going to leave it running until they answered the phones in Irvine the next day.
Long story short: Oliver at the MapnSoft help line had me do a hard reboot (secret button pushing sequence), restart the update installation, and this time to answer NO when it finally asked if I wanted the update installed! I said No and it worked like a charm. A quick check showed all my data present and accounted for with full functionality. Man, was I nervous having read a few horror stories about bricked Nav units. All's well that ends well.

Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I recently purchased a 2016 Ultimate with only 11303 miles. I checked and found that the Nav software and maps were still from 2015! Apparently the little old man who previously owned the Equus never went anywhere and saw no need to keep current. I sent my 140 bucks off to MapnSoft and a week later received the thumb drive containing the latest revision.
The install went smoothly...right up until the last step. The screen asked me if I wanted to now install the latest version. I foolishly clicked on Yes! Nothing worked after that, I had no control over the Nav screen and nothing would show except an intermittent Equus symbol. Arrrgghhhh. No HVAC control, no radio and needless to say no Nav. It was now 11:15 pm and I did exactly what the screen had warned me against -I shut the engine off. I sure wasn't going to leave it running until they answered the phones in Irvine the next day.
Long story short: Oliver at the MapnSoft help line had me do a hard reboot (secret button pushing sequence), restart the update installation, and this time to answer NO when it finally asked if I wanted the update installed! I said No and it worked like a charm. A quick check showed all my data present and accounted for with full functionality. Man, was I nervous having read a few horror stories about bricked Nav units. All's well that ends well.

What version where you’re coming from and what version did you end up with ?

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
why would it not install the latest version? I don't understand
Because there was a glitch in the software. After downloading everything over the course of an hour or so (going thru screens 1 through 6) the screen asked me if I wanted to install the software. Of course I selected Yes. Thereupon it would start at the BEGINNING as if I were at screen 1!
This happened repeatedly over 5 hours. Naturally I was selecting Yes every time. Finally I had to shut the engine off and that's when the screen locked up. The 'fix' was to answer No. Go figure.

Last edited:

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
What version where you’re coming from and what version did you end up with ?
To the best of my memory I started with a v.8 and ended up with a v.12. I can check the final version later on when I'm home. I noticed that there were at least a couple improvements in the functionality, there may be more. The Equus isn't my daily driver so I can't check now.

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Your post turned out to be a disappointment. My eye caught V8 and V12 and I thought you were going to tell us about some great optional engine now available. An 8 liter V-12 would be a fun ride.
Heck, just a 3 liter V-12...I'd pay good money to hear that make a 9000 rpm pass at 100+ mph. Smell that avgas?!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Heck, just a 3 liter V-12...I'd pay good money to hear that make a 9000 rpm pass at 100+ mph. Smell that avgas?!
Jaguar had a 5.3 liter. For every hour on the road it spend 2 in the shop getting tuned. IIRC, it had 4 carburetors.

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Why is this post in this thread?
Because the thread has pretty much died and we’re just having a good time.

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Jaguar had a 5.3 liter. For every hour on the road it spend 2 in the shop getting tuned. IIRC, it had 4 carburetors.
That was an awful engine. It was an attempt to retain some power in a choked down emissions compliant Frankenstein made from two straight-six blocks welded together. It didn’t sound anything like that Mercedes.
Or am I only recalling the XJ12?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My Genesis dealer refused to update me to 12.5 because he said that last time he tried on a car it bricked it and claimed Genesis had to replace the head unit. I suspect they just didn’t know what they were doing. Going to try again with a different dealer. I’ll remind them not to answer yes when it’s done. Thanks for the help.

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
My Genesis dealer refused to update me to 12.5 because he said that last time he tried on a car it bricked it and claimed Genesis had to replace the head unit. I suspect they just didn’t know what they were doing. Going to try again with a different dealer. I’ll remind them not to answer yes when it’s done. Thanks for the help.
What makes that interesting to me is what the Mapnsoft tech rep told me. I kinda gave the shortened version of how they helped me install the update. The first time we tried, it failed to install and the rep told me that if we were unsuccessful I shouldn't worry, they would have a local dealer install a new head unit! That was not very reassuring because I sure didn't want to go through that. However, the third install attempt was successful and nothing further was required.
I forgot about the rep's remark until your post. Apparently lock up or lock out problems are not unheard of. How software updates can damage hardware is beyond me, but I guess it happens.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I forgot about the rep's remark until your post. Apparently lock up or lock out problems are not unheard of. How software updates can damage hardware is beyond me, but I guess it happens.

Not really hard to understand. Think of a regular computer hard drive, start an install of windows or macOS then pull out the cd/flash drive half way through and force a reboot, nothing loads because only part of the startup software routines got loaded to memory.

No different with a car head unit, the update wipes out the old firmware on the ROM chip, and writes a new one, if anything interrupts that process and it doesn’t complete then the unit doesn’t have the proper boot up instructions and can’t get back to a menu screen. Unlike a computer however typically you can’t boot from an SD or other external device to recover and start again, same as with most smart phones. You interrupt the update and the unit is “dead” until it is hooked up to a test bench with the proper equipment to reflash the ROM, hence refurbished units.

In all the cars I have had with oem GPS and the many, many updates I have done in the past 18-20 years, I have never had an issue updating or “bricked” a unit as they say.

The general rule of thumb is the car has to be running, not just on ACC but engine running, for 30-40 minutes for most of them, the smart thing to do is to fire off the update when you have to drive somewhere for that length of time.

On newer cars with backup cameras you don’t want to put the car into reverse during the process either that can interrupt it as well, so start it once you are moving forward and know for fact you will not turn the car off until it is complete.

I always do mine on my commute to work, it is normal 45+ minutes and I’ve never had an issue, suck to have no music during that time, but such is life.

Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

According to Mapnsoft regarding my update from 11.5 to 12.5 on my G90: “There is no lock-up issue that we're aware of. If it were a known issue we would immediately disable the availability. Your dealership should be able to validate your VIN and order the update without issue.”

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just for the record, I was going from an original install (v. 8.X?) to the latest software in a 2016 Equus Ultimate. YMMV.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums