Thank You to MapnSoft for unbricking my Nav!

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Last edited:

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Heck, just a 3 liter V-12...I'd pay good money to hear that make a 9000 rpm pass at 100+ mph. Smell that avgas?!
Jaguar had a 5.3 liter. For every hour on the road it spend 2 in the shop getting tuned. IIRC, it had 4 carburetors.

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I forgot about the rep's remark until your post. Apparently lock up or lock out problems are not unheard of. How software updates can damage hardware is beyond me, but I guess it happens.
Not really hard to understand. Think of a regular computer hard drive, start an install of windows or macOS then pull out the cd/flash drive half way through and force a reboot, nothing loads because only part of the startup software routines got loaded to memory.

No different with a car head unit, the update wipes out the old firmware on the ROM chip, and writes a new one, if anything interrupts that process and it doesn’t complete then the unit doesn’t have the proper boot up instructions and can’t get back to a menu screen. Unlike a computer however typically you can’t boot from an SD or other external device to recover and start again, same as with most smart phones. You interrupt the update and the unit is “dead” until it is hooked up to a test bench with the proper equipment to reflash the ROM, hence refurbished units.

In all the cars I have had with oem GPS and the many, many updates I have done in the past 18-20 years, I have never had an issue updating or “bricked” a unit as they say.

The general rule of thumb is the car has to be running, not just on ACC but engine running, for 30-40 minutes for most of them, the smart thing to do is to fire off the update when you have to drive somewhere for that length of time.

On newer cars with backup cameras you don’t want to put the car into reverse during the process either that can interrupt it as well, so start it once you are moving forward and know for fact you will not turn the car off until it is complete.

I always do mine on my commute to work, it is normal 45+ minutes and I’ve never had an issue, suck to have no music during that time, but such is life.

Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

DSXMachina

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)