The Dealer Experience Is the "Weak Link" in the system

carlosinseattle

Getting familiar with the group...
Seattle
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I've never had a favorable dealership experience with Hyundia, except once. The cars are fantastic but it's a shame that they haven;t figured out how to work with customers who expect to be treated like human beings.

Here's some background on me and my experiences over the last few years.
I had a 2001 Mercedes S600 that was a phenomenal car in pretty much every manner. It had things on it that still aren't in come cars today. But as it got older it got too expensive to service and maintain.

So in 2011 I looked at a bunch of cars and narrowed my choice to 3 cars...don;t laugh; these were my actual top 3 choices.
2011 Jaguar XFR
2012 Genesis R-Spec Sedan
2011 Kia Optima, whatever the top of the line model was.

I decided against the Genesis only because I don't like buying first year releases, and it was the 1st year of the R-spec and the 5.0 motor. before that the 4.6 was the top of the line motor. I actually went to purchase the Kia but the salesperson was such an idiot, probably his second day in the business, that I walked off and swore off Kia forever.

Aw week later the Jag dealership called and told me they had just got a Black XFR with the "London Tan" interior. That was that, I was done. Excellent experience start to finish. Lease lasted until 2014, so I turned the car in. Nothing to complain about with that experience.

Mid 2014 I said I'll look at the Genesis again. The dealers in the Seattle all only had 1 or 2 left and were not really willing to negotiate. Finally Hyundai of Kirkland said yes, you can lease the car for the price (capitalized cost) of $43K, with a lease payment of $449/mo plus tax, I said GREAT!!. I asked them to email me the documents ahead of time or deliver the car to me and let me sign at my home/office; I live by the airport, which is 22 miles from the dealership. My wife was traveling so I would have had to take a cab; this was pre-Uber for me. They said no, you have to come in the store and we can sign the papers here. So I get there and the price, payment and the money factor are all different than what was agreed to over the phone and on emails. I literally showed the sales manager the email and he said no, he could not honor it. I asked why and he said "credit" I just about jumped over the desk to strangle him. My credit was over 800; he was telling a blatant lie. I didn't get too upset, but I did leave.

Turns out a dealership from Salem Oregon, Withnell Hyundai, had a black on black R-spec. I told them what i wanted and they matched what the Kirkland Hyundai dealership had agreed to but didn't follow through with. We did everything overt the phone and they delivered the car to me at home. They had a guy drive it 235 to my home; the car had 250 miles on it when I took delivery. I signed at my kitchen table and took the salesperson to the train station for his trip back to Oregon. That's what you call service!!!!! If you're in Oregon you have a stellar dealership!!

Lease ended in June 2017 so that was that. I wound up buying a 2014 Equus Ultimate in October 2018 from Carmax. I chose Carmax because of the cost of the extended warranty. I'm covered to 120K miles or October 2023, whichever comes first.

I ran into the front air suspension problem in March of 2019. Only one dealer had the ability to service my vehicle...Hyundai of Kirkland. I had to drive beyond 2 closer dealerships because the other dealerships can't service the air suspension; they said they don;t have the equipment to do it properly. Well; the experience at Hyundai of Kirkland's service was awful, just like the sales experience had been years earlier, but the repair was done.

I say all that to say Hyundai has along way to go with the dealership experience. It's a shame to make such an amazing group of vehicles, and not just the top of the line cars, but every car in the Hyundai line-up is pretty much awesome, and not be able to offer a satisfactory experience at the dealership. I've had a saying for awhile that crappy service is the "price you pay for low prices". I'm fine with that at Walmart but it's hard to be as Ok with it when spending thousands of dollars. The Equus is a fine luxury car, 80% of my Mercedes at 25% of the price and maintenance costs. Problem is the horrible dealership experience is hard to quantify, and even harder to deal with. I wish I could have the car and NEVER have to step foot into a Hyundai dealership.

That lease ended in June of 2017.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Sorry to hear about your experiences, Carlos. Unfortunately, this is not the first time we've heard about the horrible Hyundai dealership experience on this forum.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sorry to hear about your experiences, Carlos. Unfortunately, this is not the first time we've heard about the horrible Hyundai dealership experience on this forum.
Not just a Hyundai but a general car dealer problem. We've all heard similar stories from every brand. I've walked out of a few dealerships over the years. After buying a car you can relax and get a root canal to soothe you though.

Seems manufacturers have little control over how dealers treat customers. They are independent businesses.

Fromsfca

Registered Member
Louisville, KY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I worked in the industry for a number of years. We would say, "sales sells the 1st car: service sells the next ones". In other words, it's much easier to sell a car to a current, satisfied customer, than to find and close a new one.

The Kirkland dealership unfortunately represents that segment of car dealers to avoid. Not all dealers are that way, though....one of the things I like about this forum is a venue to share notes on good dealers (in some ways, sorry I'm not in DFW, due to some of the reports I've seen here).

I have 2 dealers in my town: one whose sales approach is "hide the weenie", which won't work with upper scale customers. The other is in a working class side of town, where most folk buy economy....they had some nice cars (15 G70 in inventory), but couldn't make a good enough deal for me.

I hope when it's time for service, one of them is able to live up to the "Genesis Service Experience" hype.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have 2 dealers in my town: one whose sales approach is "hide the weenie", which won't work with upper scale customers. The other is in a working class side of town, where most folk buy economy....they had some nice cars (15 G70 in inventory), but couldn't make a good enough deal for me.

I hope when it's time for service, one of them is able to live up to the "Genesis Service Experience" hype.
A good deal is one that both sides are happy and the dealer can afford to give you the service you deserve. Both sides have to realize that. Probably one reason some of the long distance deals are good as they get a sale and never see you again.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
A good deal is one that both sides are happy and the dealer can afford to give you the service you deserve. Both sides have to realize that. Probably one reason some of the long distance deals are good as they get a sale and never see you again.
I see a potential problem in that many folks are going long distances to purchase. The dealer knows that this potential buyer is not coming back for service. So there is not much in it for him to play nice as long as he closes the deal. Sure there is word of mouth referrals and the next car for the buyer but those situations are a long way In the future.

carlosinseattle

Getting familiar with the group...
Seattle
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I'm not sure if distance is a factor as much as dealers who are accustomed to purchasers who aren't of the caliber that can afford a luxury vehicle. I had great service both in sales and service with my Mercedes, at 2 dealers, and with my Jaguar at 2 dealers, and 3 dealers from when I had my A8L. I had an Infinity Q45a a long time ago but never dealt with the dealer so I can't vouch for Infinity.

In my former company we dealt with dealers, even the Hyundai dealership closest to my home. It was obvious by the way they talked about their customers that they see their customers as "deals" and/or suckers who can be taken advantage of.

At luxury car dealerships they know people don't "need" to buy the car from them or anybody else. And just like when I bought the majority of my luxury vehicles "time" was never a factor. But if a dealership is accustomed to dealing with people who "need" them they have a totally different attitude. I remember when I took my R-Spec in for it's 1st service and the service adviser looked down at the invoice and then looked up at me as if to give me some bad news. He say, "hey you know that car has a 5 liter motor and takes synthetic motor oil so it's a lot more expensive than other cars." I'm thinking Oh S..t, this guy is about to put the screws to me. Then he tells me the invoice was for something like 74 bucks. I almost fell on the floor laughing. After having that Mercedes S600, where just an oil change was $425 at the independent shop and $600 at the dealer I couldn't believe how cheap this was. And I think he thought I was about to respond harshly, when I really thought he was joking.

I tell that story to illustrate a point; $100 means different things to different people. If Hyundai dealers don;t learn how to deal with people who have all kinds of choices they will not make this work, even with the amazing group of Genesis vehicles. It's not snobbish to ask to be treated like you and yor money have value. Hyundai/Genesis needs to learn that and apply it to their dealership experience.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My experience with Sewell Infiniti if Dallas was the best I've ever had, and that was over a 10 year period. I still have another Infiniti, a 2016 QX50 and will have it serviced there - but it's never needed service. Sewell sells several luxery brands and each had their own dealership.

My buying experience with Genesis of Plano (north of Dallas) was good; I was treated respectfully, given a car to treat drive and take home for a day, got to drive others, and they did all they said they would do. Only complaint is using conventional oil instead of required synthetic, but there are several opinions on that. Their valet service is offered and I received it. I'm go back for other services, but will likely change my own oil. I have all the tools and don't mind doing it - and want ACEA A5 oil in my car.

If the Dallas-area Sewell chain of dealerships ever sell Genesis, I'll be a customer for life. Like the people on some of their TV commercials say "I don't know what my next car will be, but it will be a Sewell".

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums