The obvious truth

Thread starter #1

nrp

Hasn't posted much yet...
NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Guys

The facts are clear. Genesis (Hyundai?) still don't know what to offer as "premium service", how to offer it, how to execute it, etc. Quite frankly, it is a disaster.

Another poster said that at Lexus he had his butt kissed all the time. I feel the same way at Audi and *specially* at Porsche.

Genesis/Hyundai has no clue how to do that.

Now I also have a Porsche, an Audi and a Toyota.

Genesis dealers service is not comparable to these other brands, not even to Toyota.
When I call the Toyota dealer and press 2 for services, someone answers the phone. Isn't that amazing?

Today I tried my Genesis dealer more than 10 times, at different times during the day, and all I got was voicemail. I had to ask for an operator and ask her to chase someone down for me. It is bad. It is really bad.

And services? On Monday if I drop the car. With concierge, only on Friday. "We don't have drivers available, sir".

Rest assured, if I had to buy another car today it would NOT be a Genesis. I value the ownership experience as much as the car itself, and Genesis does not cut it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Guys

The facts are clear. Genesis (Hyundai?) still don't know what to offer as "premium service", how to offer it, how to execute it, etc. Quite frankly, it is a disaster.
Genesis/Hyundai has no clue how to do that.

When I call the Toyota dealer and press 2 for services, someone answers the phone. Isn't that amazing?

Today I tried my Genesis dealer more than 10 times, at different times during the day, and all I got was voicemail.
I can agree with some of what you say. SOME of the dealer suck, but not all of them. There are three dealers in a range I can easily use. Of the three one is not up to par, the other two are excellent.

Genesis knows what to do, but they are not doing it very well. The 100 dealers plan would have helped the service but caused other dealer problems. It is still going to take some time to sort it out.

When i called for service, the phone was quickly answered and I could choose any day. The "only Friday" is not going to cut it. Most dealers use part time drivers, often retired people looking for something to do. They should go to the local coffee shop and recruit a couple.

The other factor is cost. Perhaps the service is not on par with other luxury brands, but neither is the cost. Not everyone agrees with me, but I'm willing to use the same restroom as an Elantra owner and buy a car for thousands less than the fancier dealer brands.

Obviously, your dealer sucks, but not all of them do. Genesis has to do better sorting the good from the bad and I think they are trying. I'm on my second Genesis and good chance my next car will be also. But. . .your money, your choice.

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I agree that the Genesis is for the most part being treated like a higher end Sonata. Nothing in this world is free; I knew that going in and didn't need the ego stroke/cash extraction I got from the Mercedes or Audi dealers in past. Although I miss the tighter German ride but I'll probably stick with the trouble free Genesis unless something drastic happens.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have been very happy with my dealer. I have the cell numbers for both the salesman and the Genesis service manager. I get prompt replies to my calls and I am happy with the service. I have worked with them occasionally when scheduling service to make sure a loaner is available but it was never a problem. That only happens if I try to schedule a last minute appointment.

JoshStark

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have owned 3 Hyundai Genesis, 1 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and 1 Hyundai Equus. Before the introduction of the Genesis I was and XG owner.

My decision to get the Equus was an effort to never again have to physically visit a Hyundai service department thanks to the provided concierge service. That worked relatively well and prevented me from feeling like I was being treated like an entry-level auto owner by the service department.

After my Equus I returned to a Genesis and again find my self so completely frustrated by the lack of quality, respectful service that this will definitely be my last Genesis. The dealership does not care that we have purchased within their luxury brand. There is no distinction in their level of service and even the management of the dealership seems to not care that they are pushing away potential buyers who would enjoy and love the Genesis product. Luxury buyers will refuse to be treated as entry-level buyers for the service of their vehicles. It's either a luxury brand or it isn't.

Until Hyundai provides distinct, separate service centers for Genesis only, this problem will only continue. I realize the complication and expense of providing a fully separate dealership from Hyundai but they must realize their dream of a split-off luxury brand will never work as long as they continue to provide service from their Hyundai dealerships.

I'll be sad to say goodbye to Genesis, but my patience and understanding is gone.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
After my Equus I returned to a Genesis and again find my self so completely frustrated by the lack of quality, respectful service that this will definitely be my last Genesis. The dealership does not care that we have purchased within their luxury brand. There is no distinction in their level of service and even the management of the dealership seems to not care that they are pushing away potential buyers who would enjoy and love the Genesis product. Luxury buyers will refuse to be treated as entry-level buyers for the service of their vehicles. It's either a luxury brand or it isn't.
I'm really not sure what you are expecting or what I'm missing. What level of service do you expect that is not given?

My car goes in, they do the service or repaid, car is returned. Oh, it is washed too. Are you not getting that? My MB dealer was no different, they just charged more.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I too agree with EdP. In addition, I think this is more an issue with the dealership that he went to rather than solely an issue with Hyundai/Genesis. With the franchise laws each dealer is independent and Hyundai/Genesis can’t control everything with respect to the dealer.

Paul

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm in concurrence with EdP as well. My experience with both Hyundai dealerships here in Jacksonville have always been pleasant. The service writers are abundantly helpful and always super friendly.
There have been a few instances when I've scheduled bigger services such as the tranny or coolant flush where they've offered the concierge service with a complimentary loaner, but I never expected it. (For the trans service, they came and picked up my car and left me with a a loaded G80!) When I bring my car in for service, It ALWAYS comes back spotlessly washed and detailed.
I really don't know what else to expect.. I make my appointment, bring my car, they do their thing and I get my car back in much cleaner condition than when I dropped it off.
Truth being told, I personally feel that considering that Hyundai isn't a "premium" car manufacturer, their service department does a superb job. Buy a Ford and see what sort of service you get. I spent nearly $70K on a loaded Expedition EL and feel like I get shit on when it goes in for maintenance. Those guys give zero f*cks in regards to customer satisfaction.

secundinus

SUPPORTING MEMBER
National Capital Region
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
For me as a new G90 owner as of 6/24, I was caught off guard when on 7/3 I got an email scheduling a service appointment for 10/1 for “vehicle maintenance” and “perform multipoint inspection.” I assume this is for the 3,750 mile visit as listed in the maintenance log.

For me, this is a positive sign of high quality of customer service, which is all I’m asking for all the time and willing to pay for.

I think one element from the OP is the “branding” of everything. The form email all has Hyundai logos, says “Hyundai G90” in the type of car, and the service advisor (Adrian) is listed as a Alexandria Hyundai.

I’ve watched many official GenesisUSA and GenesisWorldwide videos on YouTube & the experience doesn’t match the marketing yet — there are still these gaps in “Hyundai” vs “Genesis.”

My expectation would have been for the email to have been in the Genesis “style” (like the other stuff we get).

So far, though, I’m happy with at least someone being forward leaning enough to schedule in advance & have me thinking about it.

I do hope that the misspelling of maintenance in the email, though, doesn’t indicate a lack of attention to detail in my service appointment.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have owned several different vehicles from several different brands over the years. For example, I have owned a Mercedes-Benz, an Infiniti, and currently a Genesis G80. I also owned two older Hyundai Genesis (2011 and 2013). When I compare the dealership experience at Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti with the experience I get at the Hyundai dealership I always use (and have used for many years), I see little valuable difference.

At MB and Infiniti, the staff wear oxford shirts, ties, and slacks, while at Hyundai the staff wear polo shirts and slacks. Oxfords and ties makes the staff look nicer, but it doesn't change their attitudes. The MB and Infiniti dealerships look nicer, as in more expensive wall treatments, flooring, etc., but the Hyundai dealership certainly doesn't look like a dump. Again, the materials used to build the establishment have absolutely no impact on the quality of service I receive. Oh, and the MB dealership offered massaging chairs in the "owners lounge". I never used them.

It's nice being in a MB dealership or Infiniti dealership. Feels premium. But, where it matters to me is what I have to pay to get back out the door. With Genesis (not counting the three years of complimentary service), the service costs are decently low. Infiniti was higher, but not by too much. MB? Absurd. Way too expensive. MB has no problem charging hundreds of dollars for an oil change even though they do nothing special compared to any other dealership maintenance department. They know that charging absurd rates makes some people feel better, like they must be getting something special.

The only thing that stands out above the rest is the Infiniti dealership always gave me a loaner, even for the simplest of maintenance issues. They had no problem handing out vehicles, that's for sure. They would also drive me around if I ever needed to go somewhere and they didn't have a loaner for me. So, kudos to that particular Infiniti dealership. They handled that part well. My wife drives a 2018 Chevrolet Traverse and receives the same treatment from her preferred Chevrolet dealership that I received from Infiniti: she always gets a loaner or, at the very least, a ride to and from the office. Every time. My MB dealer never did that and would come up with plenty of reasons why they couldn't give me a loaner.

But let's be honest: it's not the brand that determines the quality of service, it's the staff. I have walked into an Audi dealership and been completely ignored. When I walk into my Hyundai dealership, I am greeted and treated with respect. I have also dealt with other Hyundai dealerships that were disastrously bad. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
<snip>
It's nice being in a MB dealership or Infiniti dealership. Feels premium. But, where it matters to me is what I have to pay to get back out the door. With Genesis (not counting the three years of complimentary service), the service costs are decently low. Infiniti was higher, but not by too much. MB? Absurd. Way too expensive. MB has no problem charging hundreds of dollars for an oil change even though they do nothing special compared to any other dealership maintenance department. <snip>
I'm not really in a position to comment other than to say this. This is an interesting video put together by a populer DIYer on Mercedes oil changes, which might at least partially explain the cost of changing the oil on a MB. It's entertaining!

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you watch the video, you see that he thinks the price for a MB oil change is stupidly high. He calls their $320 A-Service a "glorified oil change." Not only did the video end with him suggesting that the $100 he paid for materials was "on the high side" but that it was "way less" than what Mercedes would have charged. In other words, it's expensive, and absurdly so.

secundinus

SUPPORTING MEMBER
National Capital Region
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have owned several different vehicles from several different brands over the years. For example, I have owned a Mercedes-Benz, an Infiniti, and currently a Genesis G80. I also owned two older Hyundai Genesis (2011 and 2013). When I compare the dealership experience at Mercedes-Benz and Infiniti with the experience I get at the Hyundai dealership I always use (and have used for many years), I see little valuable difference.

At MB and Infiniti, the staff wear oxford shirts, ties, and slacks, while at Hyundai the staff wear polo shirts and slacks. Oxfords and ties makes the staff look nicer, but it doesn't change their attitudes. The MB and Infiniti dealerships look nicer, as in more expensive wall treatments, flooring, etc., but the Hyundai dealership certainly doesn't look like a dump. Again, the materials used to build the establishment have absolutely no impact on the quality of service I receive. Oh, and the MB dealership offered massaging chairs in the "owners lounge". I never used them.

It's nice being in a MB dealership or Infiniti dealership. Feels premium. But, where it matters to me is what I have to pay to get back out the door. With Genesis (not counting the three years of complimentary service), the service costs are decently low. Infiniti was higher, but not by too much. MB? Absurd. Way too expensive. MB has no problem charging hundreds of dollars for an oil change even though they do nothing special compared to any other dealership maintenance department. They know that charging absurd rates makes some people feel better, like they must be getting something special.

The only thing that stands out above the rest is the Infiniti dealership always gave me a loaner, even for the simplest of maintenance issues. They had no problem handing out vehicles, that's for sure. They would also drive me around if I ever needed to go somewhere and they didn't have a loaner for me. So, kudos to that particular Infiniti dealership. They handled that part well. My wife drives a 2018 Chevrolet Traverse and receives the same treatment from her preferred Chevrolet dealership that I received from Infiniti: she always gets a loaner or, at the very least, a ride to and from the office. Every time. My MB dealer never did that and would come up with plenty of reasons why they couldn't give me a loaner.

But let's be honest: it's not the brand that determines the quality of service, it's the staff. I have walked into an Audi dealership and been completely ignored. When I walk into my Hyundai dealership, I am greeted and treated with respect. I have also dealt with other Hyundai dealerships that were disastrously bad. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Great points. For me, the theme of saving time is all I really want. That theme is what attracted me in some of the Genesis ads I watched & the research I did. Saving time without it costing me a lot money.

So long as I can get to the shop, drop my car, get a loaner to run around with productively until my car gets done when I need to, and not charge me a ton, then I’ll be very, very happy.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

Another poster said that at Lexus he had his butt kissed all the time. I feel the same way at Audi and *specially* at Porsche.
Generally, while the lux brands have better service (much less amenities), they aren't always consistent from dealership to dealership (just as there are good Hyundai dealerships, bad ones w/ most probably somewhere in btwn).

The worst dealership experience for me was at a BMW dealership.

And there have been people who have had bad experiences w/ Lexus (granted, overall, most Lexus dealerships are pretty good).

But even putting aside poor service, not honoring a warranty, etc. - there have been Lexus owners complaining about having to pay for a loaner (some Lexus dealerships charge a modest fee for loaners), while others have complained about not getting a Lexus loaner, but a Toyota, Hyundai, etc. (whether it be a car from one of the dealer group's mainstream brands or a rental).

Having a certain level of service and amenities befitting a lux brand is a major reason why Genesis is going through the process of building out a separate dealership network.

That being said, while the overall level of service should be better, some Genesis dealerships will be better than others.

There are a good # of Lexus owners who take their vehicles to a Toyota dealership for basic maintenance (as it is cheaper); wouldn't be surprised if Genesis owners end up doing the same (altho there isn't quite the overlap when it comes to engines and transmissions as w/ Toyota and Lexus).

Last edited:

Corpnupe85

Smyrna, GA
Genesis Model Type
I have owned 3 Hyundai Genesis, 1 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and 1 Hyundai Equus. Before the introduction of the Genesis I was and XG owner.

My decision to get the Equus was an effort to never again have to physically visit a Hyundai service department thanks to the provided concierge service. That worked relatively well and prevented me from feeling like I was being treated like an entry-level auto owner by the service department.

Until Hyundai provides distinct, separate service centers for Genesis only, this problem will only continue. I realize the complication and expense of providing a fully separate dealership from Hyundai but they must realize their dream of a split-off luxury brand will never work as long as they continue to provide service from their Hyundai dealerships.

I'll be sad to say goodbye to Genesis, but my patience and understanding is gone.
I totally agree with you. I am probably going back to Lexus.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.