The official Illinois thread

doug725

Been here awhile...
I live in Downers Grove. I'll be buying a Genesis next month at Pugi. A 3.8 w/Premium Plus most likely. I just cannot decide on the color!

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
I live in Downers Grove. I'll be buying a Genesis next month at Pugi. A 3.8 w/Premium Plus most likely. I just cannot decide on the color!
Sweet! Just don't get the two-tone Black/White like mine. Oh. That's road salt. Never mind.

Seriously, if you're happy with the deal they offer that's great. If you think you should do better, let me know... my last 4 cars have come from there (3 VW, 1 Gen) and I may be able to help. Fwiw, the service writers are actually pretty cool and the Gen tech (yes, only 1 tech is allowed to touch the Gen's) has a great, helpful attitude.

Good luck!

doug725

Been here awhile...
Yes I understand about the black. I think the balck looks very sharp, but my current car is black and I'm kind of over that constant need to polish - LOL. Course Patrick Hyundai in Schaumburg has a very tempting deal on a used (!) 3.8 - black of course. So that got me to thinking about the whole color thing again. Someone had that car for 4 months, put 7,000 miles on it and got rid of it already. Kind of makes me wonder.

DanTheMan

Been here awhile...
I used to live in Westmont, but now live in Knoxville, TN. I bought a 3.8 PP+...the color to choose is Cabernet Red Pearl. It's stunning w/the black leather interior! It's the car in the pic when you first open up this forum. Picture that car w/tinted windows (35% is legal where I live) and that's my ride. I've had it since early August (about 6 months now) and I love it!

Dan :>)

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Yes I understand about the black. I think the balck looks very sharp, but my current car is black and I'm kind of over that constant need to polish - LOL. Course Patrick Hyundai in Schaumburg has a very tempting deal on a used (!) 3.8 - black of course. So that got me to thinking about the whole color thing again. Someone had that car for 4 months, put 7,000 miles on it and got rid of it already. Kind of makes me wonder.
My last 4 cars have been black/black. All you can do is wait for a +25 (or so) degree day and get it washed. Thankfully, Pugi threw in a free anytime wash; not just when in for service. I'll be stopping there tomorrow or Thursday to get rid of the two-tone.
As for the used Gen, you never know: didn't like winter driving, maybe lost a job, maybe the wife refused to drive a Hyundai to the club.

doug725

Been here awhile...
Speaking of winter - what's your experience been in the snow and ice around here? I test drive the other day on unplowed roads and thought it did OK even with stock tires.

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Speaking of winter - what's your experience been in the snow and ice around here? I test drive the other day on unplowed roads and thought it did OK even with stock tires.
That's my experience: I am totally comfortable in the snow/Dunlops. Others here have implied I'm insane;that may be true but has nothing to do with my using the all-seasons in winter. I use the Shiftronic extensively, especially to get started at a light or stop sign (start in 2nd). I also use it to downshift/brake. I can go from 40 to a complete stop without ever touching the brake pedal.
Ymmv, but I'm coming out of a 4 wheel drive VW and have no problems. And as you know, this has been a very snowy winter here.
Good luck!

doug725

Been here awhile...
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought my Genesis. Got it at Pugi after having several dealers bid. 3.8 white pearl. I love this car!

doug725

Been here awhile...
The one in the showroom had the Tech package and I didnt swing for that -just the PP. I think they got it from Elmhurst.

What's your opinion on all this rough ride talk? I must admit I had some of the oscialltion today on route 88 on the way to work

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
The one in the showroom had the Tech package and I didnt swing for that -just the PP. I think they got it from Elmhurst.

What's your opinion on all this rough ride talk? I must admit I had some of the oscialltion today on route 88 on the way to work
Well, on about 2-5% of roads I notice harshness but not the "dolphin/oscillation" as described by some. Make sure you check your tire pressure for 33.
I also have 150 lbs of salt in the trunk.

doug725

Been here awhile...
Yes- yesterday I checked air pressure and indeed, the rear two tires were significantly overinflated - despite my request to the dealer to check air pressure before I picked it up. Properly inflating and adding some weight in the back made a big difference on that strecth of 88 where I oscillated yesterday Still was some oscillation on that stretch - today, but not as much. I do think there is a bit of an issue for the car on certain (as you say 2%) of surfaces - it's not enough of an issue to be a deal breaker for me, but should probably be addressed by Hyundai. For me its the only "negative" on an otherwise wonderful car.

C-Russ

Hasn't posted much yet...
Ha Ditto to all of the Above.

Got my Black and Tan 3.8 Tech from Pugi. Properly inflated tires make a difference, sitting in the back seat exaggerates the problem and makes you REALLY feel it on stretch of 88 north of Naperville.
Can't complain about the car other than its the WORST to drive in snow, otherwise, the honeymoon isnt over yet after 5+ months. Still has that new car smell. LOVE IT

PS I still have yet to see another Genesis on the Rd in Chicagoland.

doug725

Been here awhile...
after driving it today on 355 I'm really starting to reget my purchase - it was a truly awful ride. Going to explore over weekend how to get out of this car.

doug725

Been here awhile...
The dealer and the Manager are being helpful and understanding so far. Hyundai at this point claims the bucking is normal and due to the road. This means that apparently, you can't expect the car to handle certain kinds of road surfaces or they designed it to exhibit bucking on purpose. Course, this would mean the demo was defective since it did not buck on the same stretch of 88.

doug725

Been here awhile...
For comparison I'd really love to experience the ride in someones else's Genny - particular of those satisfied with their ride quality and/or a V-8. This could maybe help me determine what the heck is going on with my car. Anyone near Downers Grove who might be willing to give me a quick ride around?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.