Thinking about buying a 2013 3.8

paulhunde

Hasn't posted much yet...
IA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thread starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking pretty hard at buying a 2013 3.8 sold locally. It's got about 46,000 miles, so I figure it's got quite a bit of life yet. I've only owned domestics, like Grand Prix's, Bonnevilles, etc. I love the looks of the Genesis, and the power it offers for the price. Only thing is, my wife will be driving it mainly, and she's driven mostly FWD cars. I've read on here quite a bit that all I need is to put a set of Blizzaks or similar, and it should be fine in the winter.

But overall, just looking for some input.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
What part of the country are you located??? I mean if you are up "north" where most people get snow tires on rear wheel drive vehicles...then I suspect the same is needed here.
I have driven my rspec in some snow and light ice and it is fine. With a light/controlled foot on the throttle. Especially once used to how the vehicle responds.
I will say, no where near as predictable as my previous vehicle - Acura TL front wheel drive in snow/ice.

Either way you both should love the Genesis!

Last edited:

dhall57

Getting familiar with the group...
Welcome from NC. I bought a 2013 3.8 CPO with tech pkg back in April 2017 with 36,000. Been a great car so far with no issues. The V6 with 333hp will get up and go and has all the power I need. My wife drives the car 99% of the time on loves it and I think yours would to.

Gunkk

Registered Member
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Paul,
Yes you'll want to get your wife a set of snow tires (Blizzaks, X-ice, etc.). You'll also want to get an extended warranty. These cars are cheap to buy, but expensive to repair.

girty

Hasn't posted much yet...
I wouldn't buy another genesis especially the 2013 I had and still having a issue with the transmission slipping from 3rd gear!! I went to the dealership and they stated that they wouldn't repair it because i wasnt the OG owner and that the 100,000 mile warranty only covered OG owner..the trans started slipping after 60,000 miles one I drove it to Apex NC about 4 hours away from where i live and was jerking really bad so i went to the dealership and the tech there told me that he would do a download to the transmission module which he did and it didnt jerk has bad from 3rd to 4th he said that Hyundai knew of the problem with the A8LR1 and for me to email the warranty to see if i could get a exception to getting it fixed. even with his documentation they denied my request..

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I wouldn't buy another genesis especially the 2013 I had and still having a issue with the transmission slipping from 3rd gear!! I went to the dealership and they stated that they wouldn't repair it because i wasnt the OG owner and that the 100,000 mile warranty only covered OG owner..the trans started slipping after 60,000 miles one I drove it to Apex NC about 4 hours away from where i live and was jerking really bad so i went to the dealership and the tech there told me that he would do a download to the transmission module which he did and it didnt jerk has bad from 3rd to 4th he said that Hyundai knew of the problem with the A8LR1 and for me to email the warranty to see if i could get a exception to getting it fixed. even with his documentation they denied my request..
If you had bought a CPO car, the powertrain warranty is restored to non-original owners. It costs the dealer about $1000 to make a car CPO (assuming it still is under the original warranty).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.