Thinking of buying G70 2.0 or the IS300. Help me out

MCHammer

No Genesis Yet!
Hey everyone,

So i'm pretty much undecided. I've gone back and forth to multiple dealerships in NYC hoping I can stick to a decision. I actually like the G70 more in terms of the interior, exterior..etc. There are a few things that kinda make me not want to get it.
1. It's fairly a new car so the reliability is really unknown. I could be driving great for 2-3 years and it can then start having massive problems. I know the IS is reliable, it's a lexus. But G70, i'm a bit worried. I was hoping the forum would discuss things but most people are just bringing up the mileage problems on the 3.3T.
2. Is it a city car? I've test driven them but test driving isn't the same as doing it every day. Any good on the occasional shitty road that NYC has

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
Welcome Hammer time. I just bumped a thread to the top of threads on the main G70 page about accumulated G70 issues. Considering that there have been 1,300 threads begun and 45,000+ posts, the issues mentioned by 2-3 (or perhaps a few more) owners I think the accumulated experience here is that it is generally a reliable car, by my estimation.
Two people here had their car repurchased by Genesis and the process for them was not difficult so even the very worst situation can be redeemed.
NYC streets? Others may carry the load on that question.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
One never knows about the long-term reliability of electronics/gizmos, but the powertrain components of the 2.0T have been around for quite a while.

Assuming getting the auto, the 8 spd is tried and true.

Primarily for other configurations (transverse/FWD set-up), the 2.0T has had issues leading to a recall.

According to CR's latest reliability rankings, Genesis was one of the most reliable brands w/ the G70 being the most reliable model.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis G70
One never knows about the long-term reliability of electronics/gizmos, but the powertrain components of the 2.0T have been around for quite a while.

Primarily for other configurations (transverse/FWD set-up), the 2.0T has had issues leading to a recall.

According to CR's latest reliability rankings, Genesis was one of the most reliable brands w/ the G70 being the most reliable model.
I can speak directly to NYC roads since I drive on them as well. I find ride quality to be excellent on the 18 inch tires. Of course, depends on what you're benchmarking, but it's a bit better than the G37 I had before, comparable to my 2015 Civic Si but a lot more buttoned down (less lateral/rocking motion over bumps), and worlds better than my old 2006 Miata.

If you're used to driving a Lincoln Town Car you might feel differently, but I never wish for a better ride when I'm going about my business.

daviderle

Registered Member
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Welcome aboard.
Although the G70 are pretty new, Both the 2.0T and the 8 speed have been around for 8+ years and both are pretty reliable. Frankly, with the 10 year powertrain and the five year electronics warranties, there should be little to worry about. But If you are going to keep the car for a while, you can consider also buying the extended 10 year bumper to bumper HMA warranty for around $1500.
Lexus are fine cars, have impeccable dealership service, but IMHO the Genesis have in many ways surpassed them, that is why I am on my forth Genesis, even though I was an avid believer in Japanese and German engineering prior to that time.

GNS

Genesis G70
A
Hey everyone,

So i'm pretty much undecided. I've gone back and forth to multiple dealerships in NYC hoping I can stick to a decision. I actually like the G70 more in terms of the interior, exterior..etc. There are a few things that kinda make me not want to get it.
1. It's fairly a new car so the reliability is really unknown. I could be driving great for 2-3 years and it can then start having massive problems. I know the IS is reliable, it's a lexus. But G70, i'm a bit worried. I was hoping the forum would discuss things but most people are just bringing up the mileage problems on the 3.3T.
2. Is it a city car? I've test driven them but test driving isn't the same as doing it every day. Any good on the occasional shitty road that NYC has
Are you leasing or buying?

MCHammer

No Genesis Yet!
Definitely buying
I tend to keep cars longer than 3 years. And leasing, my insurance is at 350 for this car. If i cash it out, I can just get the liability for 120

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis G70

Recieved this months CR and the G70 2.0 came out on top in the compact luxury sport sedan category. On top of some notable brands.

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I came from Lexus and Toyota my entire life. I still like them very much. But for this time around with a new car, the IS lineup is just too aged to even consider for me. The base price for the G70 beats the IS, even though it has more features. If you want the AWD in the IS, you'll get a 10 year old 6 speed transmission, not a modern 8 speed with better performance and economy.

The dealership experience is likely where you'll notice massive differences. Lexus has the dealer experience down pat, for decades. Genesis OTOH, really has no idea what they're doing with the dealer network because you have go through a traditional Hyundai dealership that has a Genesis "dealer within a dealer" model. They treat you like a number, not a person. Now, Genesis will get their sh*t together in the coming years as they release SUVs.

But in the short term, people who are Lexus, BMW, Mercedes owners would never set foot in a Toyota or Hyundai or other "mass market" non-luxury brand. Other than the car guys and gals who know what they're doing and understand the greatness of the G70 have endured the quasi-Genesis-but-mostly-Hyundai dealer experiences, which is NOT a luxury experience. This means the market base for Genesis customers will be limited until they have actual stand-alone dealerships that offer a true luxury car buying experience. You should use the fact that you are going to a Hyundai dealer to get a Genesis against the dealership(s) you negotiate with, I did and it worked well. Their Sales Manager was speechless when I told him that I could lease a similarly equipped BMW, Jag, or Audi for LESS than a G70 even though the sticker price on those are 10-15K higher. I showed him the math and said, "In order for this deal to move forward, you need to drop the MSRP by 5K as a STARTING point before any OEM incentives, trade-in factor, etc. Why? Those cars have much higher residuals. So while the G70 has a higher depreciation vs. the IS, if the car is similarly priced with similar spec, the G70 has a lower resale value, which means you have more bargaining power to lower the window sticker on the G70 in order to be more competitive with an IS that has less depreciation over "x" number of years. Depreciation makes a huge difference in payments when doing a lease, and I used this to my advantage when I got my G70. I know you're a buyer vs. leaser, but the principle remains.

As far as reliability, I'm not concerned frankly. Hyundai has improved quality vastly over last 5-10 years and continue to do so. Plus Genesis has a longer warranty, 3 years of oil changes included, and valet service all of which is part of the ownership experience.

I think the interior quality and design, and overall features on the interior is fantastic. I can compare directly to my last IS250, and the G70 is every bit as good, actually better in most areas IMO (better Nav system UI), better transmission and AWD systems (the G70 2.0T AWD has better EPA ratings than the IS300 AWD, engine has more torque and better 0-60), and I think the G70 is way better looking than the current IS (the gaping Lexus grille is a huge turn off for me these days).

Ride quality? I live in Chicago, our streets looking they've been shelled by rebels for years. But the ride quality and handling are great, and the steering feel puts the G70 notably ahead of the IS. My G70 is the 3.3T AWD Sport with the 19" offset factory Sport rims and summer tires, nearly impossible to drive in Chicago winter. So, I got a set of 18" matching rims with more sidewall on good all season tires to better handle the potholes and snow during winter months, and now I can actually rotate all season tires!

That's my 2 cents having been a Lexus and Toyota driver for 20+ years. I think the G70 is better looking, a better value, a better warranty, better performance and handling, and reliability is no concern for me after my wife's 6 years with her 2014 Hyundai Tuscon AWD limited which has been bullet proof for 80K miles to date.

Just take your time to shop, get dealer quotes, and drive off with good deal on a great car! Cheers and best of luck, keep us posted! This forum is an amazing resource for info and full of genuine car enthusiasts.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I owned four Lexus (IS and ES) and my last 2 car purchases have been Hyundai and Genesis. The Lexus had air bag issues, brake issues, and engine carbon buildup issues (still own an IS). Mainly though I was not enamored with the way the style was changing/aging as compared to the Genesis--so I switched. (Just trying to make the point that reliability is not, for me, a key factor that would give the nod to the IS over G70.)
The 2.0 G70 has seemed to have a few issues, so definitely read thru the threads documenting those. Thus far, though, the G70 is by far my favorite car purchase. And, as described above, there is a lot of information to assist you in obtaining a "good deal."
Best of luck whichever car you choose--they are both good choices.

solarium317

Registered Member
1. About reliability, honestly, I still think it probably won't be as great as Lexus. Saying that doesn't mean that Genesis is not a reliable brand. I owned 2 Hyundai cars and both of them didn't have any big issue. One did have some minor issues (total less than 2k to fix) at 130k miles.

2. For sure the 3.3T is not a city car, MPG is inexcusable. If you drive mostly in the city, you probably should consider the smaller engine 2.0T

One more thing I want to point out as [LEFT][B][SIZE=4][FONT=Segoe UI][COLOR=rgb(52, 73, 94)]KurticusRex[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/LEFT] already mentioned above. The experience at the dealership is far from what you should receive, considering this is a luxury car. I had bad experiences with getting my car scheduled for maintenance. I have no idea if it's the brand fault or my dealer is a crappy one. One time they were late to pick up my car and one time they didn't even show up citing that the online reservation I made didn't go through even though I received 2 confirmation emails (one from genesis, one from the dealer themselves) and when I called they knew my new address.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums