This May be Goodbye for My Gennie

Gebop

Registered Member
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've had my Genesis for a little over year now and this is the second time I've been hit by other people. The first was a simple parking lot corner hit that led to an annoying fritzing blindspot monitor after the trip to the body shop. This past Tuesday I was badly sideswiped while on the freeway. A medical transport vehice swerved across two lanes of traffic and end up crashing in to the driver's side of my vehicle. It was a tremendous impact that damaged the entire driver's side of the car.

Thanks be to Him and Hyundai's for its high strength steel. I feel certain that in most other cars the results would have been much worse and possibly even fatal. If you look at the photo of the damage, you can see the impact was neatly centered right where the drivers sits. My head banged on the window in what reminded me of one of those quick fright nightmares where you flash awake to something horrific.

The driver of the other car puled over 1,000 feet down the road and came back to my car. I let him know that the Highway Patrol was on the way. He said something about a patient in the car and jogged back to his car and then sped away. Bizzare moment and a huge disapointment, but I had taken note of the ID badge he was wearing and the name that was on it.

The Highway Patrol officer said that without a license plate, he was afraid there was nothing that could be done. I have been determined to find this guy and today I may have located him through a Google search . Hoping I'm right as I'm otherwise stuck wth a $1k deductible to add insult to injury. I have not gotten the official word from the insurance company, but seems a fair certainty that my Gennie will be declared a total loss. Not only is the bodydamage extensive, but the drive train has been effected as well. Very sad to see this car go as I have really enjoyed this car immensely.
Gen 1.jpg

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
I've had my Genesis for a little over year now and this is the second time I've been hit by other people. The first was a simple parking lot corner hit that led to an annoying fritzing blindspot monitor after the trip to the body shop. This past Tuesday I was badly sideswiped while on the freeway. A medical transport vehice swerved across two lanes of traffic and end up crashing in to the driver's side of my vehicle. It was a tremendous impact that damaged the entire driver's side of the car.

Thanks be to Him and Hyundai's for its high strength steel. I feel certain that in most other cars the results would have been much worse and possibly even fatal. If you look at the photo of the damage, you can see the impact was neatly centered right where the drivers sits. My head banged on the window in what reminded me of one of those quick fright nightmares where you flash awake to something horrific.

The driver of the other car puled over 1,000 feet down the road and came back to my car. I let him know that the Highway Patrol was on the way. He said something about a patient in the car and jogged back to his car and then sped away. Bizzare moment and a huge disapointment, but I had taken note of the ID badge he was wearing and the name that was on it.

The Highway Patrol officer said that without a license plate, he was afraid there was nothing that could be done. I have been determined to find this guy and today I may have located him through a Google search . Hoping I'm right as I'm otherwise stuck wth a $1k deductible to add insult to injury. I have not gotten the official word from the insurance company, but seems a fair certainty that my Gennie will be declared a total loss. Not only is the bodydamage extensive, but the drive train has been effected as well. Very sad to see this car go as I have really enjoyed this car immensely.
View attachment 26241
Sucks to be you. I hope you are able to find the SOB and you can at least get your deductible from him.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
That's a really raw deal there. I hope you did locate the guy.. can't believe he didn't try to get back to you! Seems like he can be charged for hit and run.

But mostly, you survived unhurt. Glad the Gen did it's job, too. Hope you end up with a new one.

Jkon

Registered Member
Livonia MI
Wow!! sorry to hear and see what you have gone though recently with your car.Hopefully you can recover emotionally/financially from these challenges that were no fault of your own. Best of luck in getting another Genesis that works for you as well as this one did

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Good luck!

I’m loving my dashcam even more now.

Gebop

Registered Member
Good luck!

I’m loving my dashcam even more now.
Funny you mention the dashcam... That was one of the the first things I thought about when I realized f-tard wasn't coming back from his jog. I read a thread here that had me reasearching the idea, but alas I never acted on it. Next car for sure is going to have a cam or two.

Gebop

Registered Member
Sucks to be you. I hope you are able to find the SOB and you can at least get your deductible from him.
That is for sure, Ed. If this is the guy, I'm hoping to be able to say to him, "Suck to be you - you should have done the right thing in the first place". In this case, he could be fired from his job and possibly have to look at a different line of work as an MVR with a 'leavening the scene of an accident' woud likely block this career path for him.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
My Honda Pilot was rear ended in a sudden-stop situation, I managed to avoid the car ahead of me, but the guy behind me hit me hard, and shoved me into the car ahead.

The guy behind me was wearing an NTTA shirt, he worked for the North Texas Tollway Authority, plus I took a pic of his license plate and of his driver's license and insurance card. Turned out he had no insurance; what he showed me was an expired life insurance policy, and I missed that in all the excitement.

I ended up having to pay my $500 "uninsured motorist" deductible even though it was not my fault. The police did nothing even when given the guy's info, and my insurance wouldn't pursue it either. Wishing the OP good luck.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
My Honda Pilot was rear ended in a sudden-stop situation, I managed to avoid the car ahead of me, but the guy behind me hit me hard, and shoved me into the car ahead.

The guy behind me was wearing an NTTA shirt, he worked for the North Texas Tollway Authority, plus I took a pic of his license plate and of his driver's license and insurance card. Turned out he had no insurance; what he showed me was an expired life insurance policy, and I missed that in all the excitement.

I ended up having to pay my $500 "uninsured motorist" deductible even though it was not my fault. The police did nothing even when given the guy's info, and my insurance wouldn't pursue it either. Wishing the OP good luck.
Insurance probably cut their loss rather than spend money going after him. If he did not pay insurance he probably has no money and the best they would collect is his X-Box and sell it for $20.

Markymark

Registered Member
Insurance probably cut their loss rather than spend money going after him. If he did not pay insurance he probably has no money and the best they would collect is his X-Box and sell it for $20.
Something similar happened to my friend a few months ago. She was in her 2016 QX70 and got rear-ended at a traffic light by a texting driver. Turns out the driver was underinsured, and she was underwater $5000 on the loan. The other driver is essentially judgment proof, so she has no recourse.
These people are scum and should be treated as such.

skipgen

Registered Member
Hope you find that asshat...!

Sorry for your loss - but she did her job & kept you safe. That Highway Patrolman seems like a massive lazy tool though - should be able to track him down though with a description of the vehicle... With that kind of a hit, he has to have considerable (and visible) damage.

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA
Hope you find that asshat...!

Sorry for your loss - but she did her job & kept you safe. That Highway Patrolman seems like a massive lazy tool though - should be able to track him down though with a description of the vehicle... With that kind of a hit, he has to have considerable (and visible) damage.
“That Highway Patrolman seems like a massive lazy tool though”

??????????

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80
“That Highway Patrolman seems like a massive lazy tool though”

??????????
Thus guy from the original post.
"The Highway Patrol officer said that without a license plate, he was afraid there was nothing that could be done. "

I often see on the news they look for cars matching the description that have damage and ask for help from the public if they see the car.

skipgen

Registered Member
"The Highway Patrol officer said that without a license plate, he was afraid there was nothing that could be done. "

I often see on the news they look for cars matching the description that have damage and ask for help from the public if they see the car.
Same here.... They do it here in Houston all the time.

Gebop

Registered Member

My bad here for not being clearer here. I should have added to this that the Highway Patrol Officer was joined by an unmarked HP Charger that he had dispatched to look for a badly damaged non-emergency medical transport vehicle. But I live in a major metropoitan area and I would wager the first thing this guy did after leaving the accident, was look for an exit, so he could get off the freeway and in to city jurisdiction.

The HP Officer did listen to my story and had the dispather call around to the major transport companies to ask if anyone reported an accident. I also confused things for him as I thought the vehicle was yellow. Looking at the paint tranfer on my car, I think what I saw was the companies big yellow logo on a white vehicle. I only barely sensed the vehicle out of the corner of my eye and then it was - BANG! I pulled over and didn't see any vehicle after that. It was after 8:00 PM in a dark section of the freeway.

I asked the Officer if he could look up the guys name in their database, but that was sort of a silly suggestion with this guy having a common first and last name, and living in densely populated metro area. I couldn't tell the Officer what company the guy worked for, or even describe the vehicle in any meaningful detail. The HP Officer did try to use the resources he had available, but he was right, in that without a license plate, there was little to nothing that could be done. There was no useful description provided by me, such that people could be alerted to be on the lookout for a specific vehicle. I was grateful that he used the resources at his disposal. He was was defintely not someone I would describe as being a "lazy tool".

nellie1289

Registered Member
Portland, Oregon
Genesis G70
Sorry about this. Glad you are ok. Your car is better off totalled. I would fight for it to be. You don’t want that back. Find yourself a new gem !

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA

Gebop

Registered Member
Update today from bodyshop: They are figuring $13,300 to repair the body damage, but have not looked at the mechanical damage. The car was not able to go more than 10 MPH when I limped it home.

It will be interesting to see what the insurance company does here. The shop told me my insurance has a 75% threshold to declare it a total. Depending how they value my car (2016 3.8 AWD Ultimate / 21k miles / CPO) and what mechanical damage has actually been done.

Given the severity of the impact, I will probably argue for totaling over repair. Anyone here argue with insurance company about totaling? Would like to know the talking points that tipped the scales if it was close.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums