• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Tilt Telescopic Steering Wheel

MrB0462

Registered Member
From day 1 the tilt function had a range of approximately 6-9 inches. As a result the speedometer was being blocked. I was waiting for the 3,500 mile service and have read about problems on the forum.

Eureka today I was resetting memory positions and all of a sudden the tilt range changed to full range. Amazing, I can now sit more comfortably and have complete view of instruments.

Any ideas of what happened????

Dave

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
From day 1 the tilt function had a range of approximately 6-9 inches. As a result the speedometer was being blocked. I was waiting for the 3,500 mile service and have read about problems on the forum.

Eureka today I was resetting memory positions and all of a sudden the tilt range changed to full range. Amazing, I can now sit more comfortably and have complete view of instruments.

Any ideas of what happened????

Dave

People have reported problems with the tilt steering wheel. Maybe this is what you experienced. Do a Search on this. I'm hoping they have this fixed on the 2011s

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
CUT-tHROAT

It corrected itself - looking for a reason

MRB0462

I did a search for you and it looks like you have the problem that I was referring to. It may have 'corrected itself' temporarily. Looks like a 'reason' to me!

Here is your link.

Tilt Steering Problem

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
I think MrBO462 knows about the telescopic problems per the forum and was waiting for a scheduled service visit to bring this problem up to the service department. But before he could show the service department what was wrong, it fixed itself.

As for how it corrected itself.... I have no answer for you.

Cut-Throat

Registered Member
Minneapolis
I think MrBO462 knows about the telescopic problems per the forum and was waiting for a scheduled service visit to bring this problem up to the service department. But before he could show the service department what was wrong, it fixed itself.

As for how it corrected itself.... I have no answer for you.

When 'things fix themselves', they often 'unfix themselves'. People in that thread report the problem as 'flaky'. May come and go.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't accept this as a 'reason'.

Sorry for 'helping'.

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
When 'things fix themselves', they often 'unfix themselves'. People in that thread report the problem as 'flaky'. May come and go.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't accept this as a 'reason'.

Sorry for 'helping'.

No need to be sorry. :confused:

mcginnpm

Registered Member
People's Republic of Maryland
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Next time you're in the shop, have 'em do the TSB for the tilt/telescope. Mine has gone through several cycles of "fixing" itself and then acting up again...completely random. I'm finally getting the switch replaced (been waiting since 7/15 for the part...service manager "promises" it will be in tomorrow or Monday at latest...CITM).

MrB0462

Registered Member
Next time you're in the shop, have 'em do the TSB for the tilt/telescope. Mine has gone through several cycles of "fixing" itself and then acting up again...completely random. I'm finally getting the switch replaced (been waiting since 7/15 for the part...service manager "promises" it will be in tomorrow or Monday at latest...CITM).

Mike

Am aware of TSB. Read all about them before I bought the car. That is part of my due diligience before buying any thing of decent value.

Part was ordered and has been received. Will be in shop next Thursday. I just found it wierd that it "corrrected" itself.

Dave

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Dave,

How long was your wait for the part (just curious, 'cause I feel like I'm getting jerked around by my local guys). I've heard other folks saying it took them a while to get parts too, but then some say they got theirs in a matter of days. For a TSB that's been on the streets since Nov '08 its unsatisfactory that a part can't be obtained in a week or less.

I'm willing to bet that your tilt/telescope would have "un-corrected" itself if given more time. Mine went through "phases" where sometimes it was completely unresponsive (both in tilt and telescope). Then sometimes it wouldn't work in certain ways (would go up, but not down...would begin to move, but then stop and start and jitter). Then sometimes it would behave perfectly normal. The phases might last for one start/stop cycle...or days...or weeks without any predictability.

Mike

MrB0462

Registered Member
MIke

Approximately 10 days. I have heard stories on the Forum about excessive delays. Actually the dealer had 1 in stock but used it on another vehicle that was serviced before mine.

I keep recommending make a friend at your district/regional office in consumer affairs and your problems won't be as great. No they can't force dealers to do things but ordering parts and the like is a different story if you have made nice.

Just a suggestion.

Dave

SullyC

Registered Member
CT, USA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
Dave,

How long was your wait for the part (just curious, 'cause I feel like I'm getting jerked around by my local guys). I've heard other folks saying it took them a while to get parts too, but then some say they got theirs in a matter of days. For a TSB that's been on the streets since Nov '08 its unsatisfactory that a part can't be obtained in a week or less.

I'm willing to bet that your tilt/telescope would have "un-corrected" itself if given more time. Mine went through "phases" where sometimes it was completely unresponsive (both in tilt and telescope). Then sometimes it wouldn't work in certain ways (would go up, but not down...would begin to move, but then stop and start and jitter). Then sometimes it would behave perfectly normal. The phases might last for one start/stop cycle...or days...or weeks without any predictability.

Mike

Just to add my 2 cents, it took three weeks for the part to come in.

Kurt

Getting familiar with the group...
Rhode Island
I had the same phenomena happen as MrB0462. My car was assembled beyond the range of the TSB. (Mar 22 2010) It seems like there might be a software glitch.

Has anyone had the TSB done and had the problem come back?

It is like MrB0462 said, the range was limited but after pushing the memory buttons the full range of motion returned.

thnworld

Registered Member
I had the same phenomena happen as MrB0462. My car was assembled beyond the range of the TSB. (Mar 22 2010) It seems like there might be a software glitch.

Has anyone had the TSB done and had the problem come back?

It is like MrB0462 said, the range was limited but after pushing the memory buttons the full range of motion returned.

This is my second time getting the steering wheel column work done and like around 5-6 times visits to the dealership just for this problem. Is there a legal lemon law for this type fo defect?

MrB0462

Registered Member
This is my second time getting the steering wheel column work done and like around 5-6 times visits to the dealership just for this problem. Is there a legal lemon law for this type fo defect?

Most states require at least 3 visits without it being fixed. Some one else posted that it could also be days out of service once it reaches a preset level. You will have to check on-line or with your state consumer affairs group.

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
For what it's worth, after "only" 6 weeks of waiting, the part for the tilt/telescope finally came in and my local service dept replaced it today.

ck2118

Getting familiar with the group...
I waited about a month for the part to arrive before getting it fixed. Week and a half later the tilt function does not work again. Now waiting again.

sarge

Been here awhile...

How do I know if my vehicle's a lemon?
If you have tried unsuccessfully to have your new vehicle (purchased in Virginia) repaired three or more times for the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than thirty days in one year, your vehicle may be classified as a lemon under the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act.
If you think your vehicle is a lemon, contact the Office of Consumer Affairs before filing a claim under this Act. All claims must be filed within 18 months following the date you first received the vehicle.

For more information about Virginia's Lemon Law, contact:
Office of Consumer Affairs
Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
102 Governor Street
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 786-2042
1-800-552-9963

The above is from your states web site. It should be authoratative. Unfortunately, you largely signed away your rights to sue Hyundai when you purchased your vehicle. You agreed to some form of binding arbitration. You may be able to opt out of arbitration. You can find the information in your Hyundai Warranty addendum.

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You agreed to some form of binding arbitration. You may be able to opt out of arbitration. You can find the information in your Hyundai Warranty addendum.

You can opt out of binding arbitration. See section 4 of your "Owner's Handbook & Warranty Information" which covers "Consumer Information and Binding Arbitration".

Unfortunately, your notice of intention to opt out of binding arbitration must be received by Hyundai within 90 days of purchasing your vehicle. After that you are stuck.

You can submit written notice by certified mail, or go to their website at http://warranty-arbitration.hyundaiusa.com. Be sure to save your confirmation message that your request was received. The online process was quite easy. I did it for both of my Hyundais as soon as I bought them.

MrB0462

Registered Member
Getting back to the title of the thread the steering column was replaced today and everything seems to be working fine. Since some have said only the motor needs to be replaced let me re-iterate that in my case the whole column was removed and replaced totally under warranty.

Dave