• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Time for Winter Tires

Andy111

Registered Member
Whitby Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In Ontario not yet mandatory although you get discount on your insurance if you have them. With our winters I would not want to take a risk of going without “Snows” especially with just the high performance summer tires that came with my Genny, AWD or not.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Andy111

Registered Member
Whitby Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes, 225/45/18 winter tires are what many people are running on the G70, front and rear. I have the Pirelli Sottozerro 3 tires mounted on Genesis wheels and was quite happy with the snow performance of these winter tires, especially combined with HTRAC. I bought the whole set from the dealer last year.
Thanks - will look at them. Read up on Nokians as suggested by EdP and they sound impressive for reasonable cost and are available locally, as are Pirellis.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can't go wrong with Blizzaks. They really are the gold standard of winter tires. I've used the WS80s on my EvoX which is about 400lbs lighter and it uses 245s. They were very sure-footed in the snow (and work really well in the dirt too, btw). Putting 225s on the G70 should make any winter tire perform its best.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I went with Michelin Alpin PA4. Performance oriented, the Pirelli Sottozero 3 were my other choice decided by price only. If deep snow was a high concern and performance a lesser concern Nokian and Blizzaks are both excellent from experience. No mandatory winters in Nova Scotia, and studs are fine (but not needed IMO).

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes, 225/45/18 winter tires are what many people are running on the G70, front and rear. I have the Pirelli Sottozerro 3 tires mounted on Genesis wheels and was quite happy with the snow performance of these winter tires, especially combined with HTRAC. I bought the whole set from the dealer last year.
^ +1. in fact, 225/45/18 is the OE Genesis fitment for 18" winter tire/wheel packages for all G70's with factory 19" summers. definitely the way to go. more side wall for rough winter crud, more contact pressure to bite through slush, better wear due to ability to rotate, etc

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I went with Michelin Alpin PA4. Performance oriented, the Pirelli Sottozero 3 were my other choice decided by price only. If deep snow was a high concern and performance a lesser concern Nokian and Blizzaks are both excellent from experience. No mandatory winters in Nova Scotia, and studs are fine (but not needed IMO).
Interesting - my experience was the opposite - The Sottozero 3's were less than the PA4's. Have them in the garage mounted on these

IMG_0087.JPG

with OEM sensors sourced from Korea. As I'm doing swap in my driveway will likely do it this weekend and get it over with.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Andy111

Registered Member
Whitby Ontario Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure what the temperature is like in Toronto but it’s been about or colder than 10 degrees here in Vancouver lately so I may wait about a 3-4 more weeks until we start seeing a bit colder temperatures before planning to install the winter tires.
Still a while to go before snow hopefully but need to beat the rush at tire shops once the white stuff starts.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can I go with 18” 225/45 winter tires on all 4 rather than staggered as on now with my summer tires.
Would appreciate comments or recommended sizes and brands.
(This is for Canadian winters)
Thanks.
I have squared and Nokian Hakka 9's - studded. Like them a lot. Tons of traction in the snow/ice and minimal noise (only if the stereo is off).

Curious question: I know that Québec requires winter tires. No option, a must. Is this true for other provinces?
BC does on highways with signs stating the requirement (basically and high elevation mountain highways).

AB has talked about it but currently has nothing. I believe same for SK.

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not sure what the temperature is like in Toronto but it’s been about or colder than 10 degrees here in Vancouver lately so I may wait about a 3-4 more weeks until we start seeing a bit colder temperatures before planning to install the winter tires.
If you believe the 14 day forecast we're in the 8 degree range for highs and 4 degrees for lows late next week. I do less than 1,000 km per month so a week or two early isn't going to appreciably impact my tires to any great degree.

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’d recommend Continentaltire Viking 7 or Michelin xi3. Blizzaks are good, but only for about 50%. The material that makes them perform so well is only about 50% of tread before it’s all gone.

JeremyTD

Registered Member
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2.0 Dynamic with a staggered 19 inch setup and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of winter wheels and tires from tire rack. I know from the forum and my research that I should be able to use a 2.0 Stinger AWD as my setup and order a set to fit my G70.

Anyway, I noticed on their site that only 18 and 19 inch are available for the G70 but the Stinger shows 17 inch as well. My indications say 17’s should also fit my G70 but before I go for 17’s.......does anyone know why that may not be the case?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some Stingers, and some G70's do not have the Brembo brakes, and subsequently can use slightly smaller rims. If your car has Brembo's, then the smallest you can use are 18" rims, and even some of those won't clear the brakes.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums