Timing Chain Tensioner

Thread starter #1

bnajack

Registered Member
This morning when I started my car to go to work, the engine had a severe miss, a very noticeable "knock" and the Check Engine light was on. I thought the engine was ruined.

Everything was fine when I drove the car home on Friday and I did not drive it over the weekend.

After the car was towed to the dealer, they were pretty sure it is a bad timing chain tensioner. In this car, the tensioner is hydraulic. If the tensioner is bad, presssure bleeds off over time and chain becomes loose.

The dealer let it run for a very short period of time that allowed the tensioner to build pressure and all the noise went away.

They said my car should be ready tomorrow. I will let everyone know if it is something different.

Thread starter #3

bnajack

Registered Member
An update on my engine issue. . . Hyundai will not do anything.

The car stopped misfiring, knocking and pulling codes before they could put it on the diagnostic computer. The regional service rep says the car is now in spec and no work is required.

Earlier this year, I made at least a dozen trips to the dealer with my audio problems where the dealer could not duplicate the problem, even it was doing it when I gave it to them. Finally, the problem was fixed.

This has a deja vu feel about it. Hyundai may advertise a great warranty, but they look for excuses not to fix the car. Coming from Audi, I expected more.

I am not real happy about this. I really love the car, but I am losing confidence in it.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Give 'em one more shot. See what happens on your next trip to the dealership. If the experience is bad, consider servicing your Genesis it the next closest Hyundai dealer. Even if the ride is a little longer, it may pay off if you only need to make one trip and your experience is positive...

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Give 'em one more shot. See what happens on your next trip to the dealership. If the experience is bad, consider servicing your Genesis it the next closest Hyundai dealer. Even if the ride is a little longer, it may pay off if you only need to make one trip and your experience is positive...
agreed! My dealer would give me a shoe shine if I asked them to:D

I think the only option at this point is to GO to another Hyundai dealer. Why bother with the problematic dealer?

An update on my engine issue. . . Hyundai will not do anything.

The car stopped misfiring, knocking and pulling codes before they could put it on the diagnostic computer. The regional service rep says the car is now in spec and no work is required.

Earlier this year, I made at least a dozen trips to the dealer with my audio problems where the dealer could not duplicate the problem, even it was doing it when I gave it to them. Finally, the problem was fixed.

This has a deja vu feel about it. Hyundai may advertise a great warranty, but they look for excuses not to fix the car. Coming from Audi, I expected more.

I am not real happy about this. I really love the car, but I am losing confidence in it.
The dealer really can't do much for you unless he sees the problem and can test for it while the problem is happening. The dealer can't take your word for it and neither can Hyundai. (Don't you just hate it when the dealer service department says, "sorry mister xxxxxx, but we have not be able to duplicate the problem").

This could be another of the things that get fixed when the cars computers all re-boot. A lot of things get corrected (read: fixed) when the computers get re-booted. I've had many strange things happen, that get corrected after the car sits for a while and the computers re-boot. again, this might be one of them.

agreed! My dealer would give me a shoe shine if I asked them to:D

I think the only option at this point is to GO to another Hyundai dealer. Why bother with the problematic dealer?
I definitely agree to that.. Had a problem with my car's timing chain before and I really was not good at it.. Never knew what to do with it so what i did next was to go to the best Hyundai dealer and that was it. :)

And i used to hear a clacking noise whenever I start the car and they said at first that it was normal. The guys from the dealership told me that it takes a few moments for the engine oil to pump up to the valves and circulate around the motor and lubricate the timing chain tensioner. But I think there's really a minor problem.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.