Tips on getting a "new" Genesis

sgrenald

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thread starter #1
Hi All,

I've been driving my Infiniti G35 for just over 16 years (only about 116,000 miles) and while it runs fine, I'm starting to look for a new car. The Genesis wasn't even on my radar until I saw an article in Consumer Reports that listed it as one of the best cars to buy in March. The list price is more than I want to spend, but one of the local dealers said "Well, how about used?"

So it looks like the off-lease 15s are coming in pretty steadily, and my dealer called me the other day about an Ultimate for $27,000 or so. Just wondering if any of y'all have any advice on pricing, etc.

One other thing, CR gave high marks in reliability to the 16s, 17s & 18s, but not to the 15s. I think I read here that the Hyundai extended warranty is about $1500-1700. How long does that extend the regular warranty? Bumper-to-bumper for 10 years/100k miles? I guess that would settle any reliability issues.

Thanks for the advice! (and while I'm probably the 1000th person to ask these questions, I didn't see any of the other newbies when I skimmed over the forums)

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Bumper-to-bumper warranty is for 5 years or 60k miles, which ever comes first. It's not really bumper-to-bumper, as it doesn't cover paint that long and some other items are covered for less time or miles. The complete details are on the Hyundai web page. There may have been some changes starting in MY 2016, per the Hyundai warranty web page.

The original owner gets an extended powertrain (basically engine and transmission) warranty 10 years/100k miles. This warranty is not transferable, unless the dealer sells the car as a CPO, for which they pay Hyundai Motor America about $1000, and are supposed to inspect the car. Obviously, you will pay more for a CPO than a non-CPO, all other things being equal.

Extended warranties are available to get a bumper-to-bumper warranty for 10 years/100k miles from Hyundai Motor America or third party warranties. Dealer quoted prices vary wildly, but dealer cost is "probably" about $1300-$1400 for a new car, but it gets more expensive on a used car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

I've been driving my Infiniti G35 for just over 16 years (only about 116,000 miles) and while it runs fine, I'm starting to look for a new car. The Genesis wasn't even on my radar until I saw an article in Consumer Reports that listed it as one of the best cars to buy in March. The list price is more than I want to spend, but one of the local dealers said "Well, how about used?"

So it looks like the off-lease 15s are coming in pretty steadily, and my dealer called me the other day about an Ultimate for $27,000 or so. Just wondering if any of y'all have any advice on pricing, etc.

One other thing, CR gave high marks in reliability to the 16s, 17s & 18s, but not to the 15s. I think I read here that the Hyundai extended warranty is about $1500-1700. How long does that extend the regular warranty? Bumper-to-bumper for 10 years/100k miles? I guess that would settle any reliability issues.

Thanks for the advice! (and while I'm probably the 1000th person to ask these questions, I didn't see any of the other newbies when I skimmed over the forums)
Price sounds about right. I traded in my '15 with 39,000 miles and that is what the dealer was asking for it.
I don't know why the '15s would not be as reliable, they are essentially the same as the others, but they were the first year of that style. I think it is a good choice.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Price sounds about right. I traded in my '15 with 39,000 miles and that is what the dealer was asking for it.
I don't know why the '15s would not be as reliable, they are essentially the same as the others, but they were the first year of that style. I think it is a good choice.
I think they had assembly problems with some of the 2015's, such as not tightening down the fuse box and other electrical grounds properly.

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #5
That extended warranty price sound like it's in the ballpark of what I was reading this morning on another thread. But that would be the price for a new car? Or would that also apply to a CPO? Just wondering if I bought a CPO with 30k miles on it whether I'd still be paying $1300.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That extended warranty price sound like it's in the ballpark of what I was reading this morning on another thread. But that would be the price for a new car? Or would that also apply to a CPO? Just wondering if I bought a CPO with 30k miles on it whether I'd still be paying $1300.
First, you are confusing dealer cost with what the dealer is going to charge you. For an extended warranty with a dealer cost of $1300, they may quote you $3,000 to start, and you may have negotiate a reasonable price. It may be harder to find a good deal on an extended warranty compared to before, because Hyundai Motor America has asked dealers to not sell them on the phone or Internet anymore (across state lines), so there is less competition.

The above discussion was dealer cost is for a new Genesis, and for various reasons the dealer cost may be more for a used one (but depends). If you want an extended warranty, then skip the CPO (if you have a choice and can get the car for at least $1000 less without CPO), because the extended warranty will overlap the CPO coverage (on powertrain). However, some dealers may sell a "wrap" coverage on a CPO that is less than the regular extended warranty.

Also, remember that the best warranty is the Hyundai Protection Plan Platinum extended warranty that is honored at any Hyundai dealer. Some dealers may try and sell you a third party warranty, and some warranties have all kinds of regular maintenance requirements that have to be performed at the dealer who sold the warranty.

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #7
First, you are confusing dealer cost with what the dealer is going to charge you. For an extended warranty with a dealer cost of $1300, they may quote you $3,000 to start, and you may have negotiate a reasonable price. It may be harder to find a good deal on an extended warranty compared to before, because Hyundai Motor America has asked dealers to not sell them on the phone or Internet anymore (across state lines), so there is less competition.

The above discussion was dealer cost is for a new Genesis, and for various reasons the dealer cost may be more for a used one (but depends). If you want an extended warranty, then skip the CPO (if you have a choice and can get the car for at least $1000 less without CPO), because the extended warranty will overlap the CPO coverage (on powertrain). However, some dealers may sell a "wrap" coverage on a CPO that is less than the regular extended warranty.

Also, remember that the best warranty is the Hyundai Protection Plan Platinum extended warranty that is honored at any Hyundai dealer. Some dealers may try and sell you a third party warranty, and some warranties have all kinds of regular maintenance requirements that have to be performed at the dealer who sold the warranty.

The thread I read here mentioned people paying $1200-1300 for their HPP's. I live in Savannah, and one of the warranty dealers mentioned was in Atlanta, so maybe that might still work.

So you're saying that a non-CPO car with an HPP warranty is better than a CPO car without? When I was at my local dealer a few weeks ago, they were showing me vehicles that were coming off of lease that they were contemplating buying and then CPO'ing. So it would be better for me to tell them, if they found the car I wanted that they were planning on buying, to let me check it out and buy it with an extended warranty instead of them CPO'ing it, for maybe the same money?

aarvan66

Genesis Model Type
I just went through this myself. I was looking at a 2018 Genesis Standard, when the dealer showed me a low mile 2015 Ultimate they had just taken back off lease.

2015 Genesis Ultimate 3.8 HTRAC/Empire State Grey/39,000 miles

They ran it through the CPO process, put new tires on it, and I purchased it for $27,000 out the door including the Hyundai Platinum extended warranty. 10 year/120,000 miles bumper to bumper with $0 deductible. I received the warranty at dealer cost due to a quoting error during negotiations, so it probably would have added another $500-$750 to the cost.

In the end, I have everything on the car except Apple CarPlay. I'm finding the SiriTalk to be good enough.

Good luck!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I don't think you are understanding the details of what is being explained.

For example, the link above you posted talks about an extended warranty of 6 years or 125K miles. That is not an extra 6 years, but 6 years total, and the regular new car warranty covers 5 years or 60K miles. So for $1298 with $100 deductible or $1398 with zero deductible, they are only adding 1 year onto the warranty (although they are also adding miles). Also, that was for a new car, not a used car.

If you want a 10 year - 100K extended HPP warranty on a used 2015 Genesis, my suspicion is that you can no longer get one for $1300, even if some people did 5-7 years ago (unless a dealer is willing to sell it at dealer cost).

Munch520

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2015 here, almost 50,000 miles and only major problem was a throttle body that crapped out at 36k or so (they say 87oct is fine but mine runs MUCH better on 93). Other than that, no problems.

Deals on CPO Genesis' are fantastic, I got mine (AWD Ultimate) for low $30s with ~14,000 miles on it back in 2016.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
$27k sounds right. I bought mine 3 moths ago as a CPO w/35k miles and it has the Sig/Tech packages - $26k. The '17s will command a higher price because it's a "Genesis", not a "Hyundai" Genesis. Buy the Hyundai and you'll save thousands. If you're worried about the brand, there is a tutorial on here regarding the Genesis badge installation. Good luck with your search.

nash1991

Genesis Model Type
15 Genesis models have fantastic value currently in used market for the car you get. I just bought a 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate Parisian Gray last week for $27k with only 17k miles on it. A steal if you ask me.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
15 Genesis models have fantastic value currently in used market for the car you get. I just bought a 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate Parisian Gray last week for $27k with only 17k miles on it. A steal if you ask me.
There simply isn't a better deal in the used car market that can beat the '15s and some '16s. Car and Driver, Road & Track, somebody needs to write an article regarding the "steal" of the decade" when it comes to our cars. However, I like being 1 of 3 in my area but still, nothing compares. Congrats on the buy!

nash1991

Genesis Model Type
There simply isn't a better deal in the used car market that can beat the '15s and some '16s. Car and Driver, Road & Track, somebody needs to write an article regarding the "steal" of the decade" when it comes to our cars. However, I like being 1 of 3 in my area but still, nothing compares. Congrats on the buy!
Yeah I've only had it for 5 days or so but man do I love it so far! I've owned an Audi A8L and S5 in the past and driven plenty of BMW's and Mercs etc but nothing comes close to giving a value for your money like this Genesis does. Planning on enjoying it for a good 7-8 years at least!

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #18
Re: Tips on getting a "new" Genesis

That's kind of exactly the model I want. The Genesis looks amazing in black. I had a black Maxima once. It looked great for the 10 minutes or so after I left the car wash. I've only seen pictures of the Parisian Gray. Looks almost blue. That might be the color for me.

- - - Updated - - -

When did I say I was ruling out the 15s? That's pretty much what I'm going to end up with, unless I drag my feet for a few more months until the '16 leases start rolling in. Which I may do, because I have the luxury of waiting. I'm planning on heading to the Hilton Head dealer this weekend. They have a gold 15 Ultimate that they just got in, and I want to see what it looks like.

nash1991

Genesis Model Type

That's kind of exactly the model I want. The Genesis looks amazing in black. I had a black Maxima once. It looked great for the 10 minutes or so after I left the car wash. I've only seen pictures of the Parisian Gray. Looks almost blue. That might be the color for me.

- - - Updated - - -
Here are a couple pics of mine. I absolutely love how it looks, Parisian Gray is GORGEOUS. And honestly they're pretty difficult to find also, I've not seen a single other Parisian Gray Genesis where I live so kinda makes me feel a bit unique too. Hope you find one in this color, good luck :)

IMG_20180419_181634.jpg
IMG_20180419_181623.jpg
IMG_20180418_151627.jpg

nash1991

Genesis Model Type

- - - Updated - - -
Here are a couple pics of my car! I LOVE how the Parisian Gray looks and I think its a pretty unique color as well. I have not seen a single other Genesis with this color around where I live so that's kinda cool as well. Hope you find one in this color, good luck :)

IMG_20180419_181634.jpg
IMG_20180419_181623.jpg
IMG_20180418_151627.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.