tire blow out

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
2018 G90 5.0. First trip 2871miles on car. Driving 70mph in 3rd lane. low tire pressure light comes on
by the time I got over to the first lane , plop, plop, plop. Tire looses all air and by the time I get stopped
and on the shoulder, Tire is ruined. Out side sidewall is gone, inside side wall looks like new.Genesis tells me
they will send road side service to change tire for me. as there is just no place to get out and change tire.
1 1/2 hours some one shows up to change tire, with a state trooper to block lane and protect car and tire guy from getting hit
First time I was happy seeing a trooper. After donut was installed I ask Genesis where I could get a new tire. Was told
go to my dealership. Which was 1200 miles away. Was then told to take to nearest Genesis dealer which was 245 miles
away. Then was told to contact a Hyundai dealership. After contacting dealerships with in 120 miles no one had a tire
but was told they could order one for me.
This was not good news as we were on vacation and got from Glendale, AZ to fort smith, AR before tire blew . I found it
hard to believe the tire went out that fast after low warning light came on. A dealership in little rock, Ar was able to
find a Kumo tire the right size. 2 and 1/2 hours away. Costs me $250.00 and I will have to try to get continental to replace
the tire after I get home to AZ.
Genesis assist wasn't any help, other than changing the tire. I just had cancer surgery and would have to be in the road to change tire myself
Because of where car was located. Only thing Genesis could tell me was find a tire shop.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
1 1/2 hours some one shows up to change tire,
Genesis assist wasn't any help, other than changing the tire. I just had cancer surgery and would have to be in the road to change tire myself
Because of where car was located. Only thing Genesis could tell me was find a tire shop.
I've used the roadside assistance twice in five years. Sure is nice to have someone change the tire for you in the dark at 36 degrees and rain. The actual call is done by independent garages so they don't carry tires. Like you, I went to a tire shop.

Given the bad news about those tires from postings here, I'd ditch the Contis and get another Kumho. I hope you can recover your cost.

Franco59

Hasn't posted much yet...
Houston
Hmmm...I have read several reports of these Continental Tires blowing out on a Genesis auto. Wonder of there is an issue with these tires.
Never hear about this with Michelins.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and pray all is well with you Gene2 going forward. Hope you enjoy rest of your trip and thanks for posting about the tire incident.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
They are not run flats, that is for sure.

I got a nail in mine, in the center, not the side walls, and like you was in the fast lane on a 3 lane....by the time I got to shoulder on the slow lane it was completely flat. I changed it myself. It was loud and cold on I684. It happens quick after the light comes on...especially if you are going fast.

I hit a pot hole too hard too in a different incident with the G90 and was able to drive to a Sears. No tire, but they put the spare on for $15.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Considering the number of Genesis's cars running Continental Tires (small) and the number of blowouts I'm reading just on this forum which is not huge has me believing there is some sort of defect with these tires. Also on tire rack you can read other owners of these tires (not Genesis) that have had issues as well. I'm almost at the point if I had to take a long trip I would either a. buy a spare and keep it in the trunk or b. replace all the Continental Tires with something else.

However the problem with option a. is the front and rear are different sizes.

g90fan

Vancouver, Wa
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
What do you think would be the best available brand of tire to replace all of the tires on a 2017 G90? These blow-out stories are troubling.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Depends if you want a performance tire or an all season but Pirelli brand is one a lot of folks like, for example P Pirelli Zero All Season or Michelin. Go to a place like tirerack and punch in your tire sizes and you'll see a list of compatible tires then check the reviews for each one.

g90fan

Vancouver, Wa
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Great minds. I was just snooping around Tirerack but I am always concerned that if I buy from them I will have trouble finding a place to install them for me. A while back I found myself stuck with tires that none of my local tire shops would install. Any suggestions? I have since moved closer to Spokane, Wa.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Go on to Tire Rack web site. Will give you your locally approved TR tire installers. Found hard to beat the installation prices that they give TR purchases. If anything use the TR prices to beat up the local tire dealers. Some will match total TR price, but insure you get a warranty which TR includes in their pricing.

L8RSK8R

Getting familiar with the group...
San Diego
40K miles on my G90, original Continentals are still in good shape.

I've found that most tire stores, don't carry tires for my 2014 thru 2016 Equus sedans. I have to order from Tire Rack in advance (plan ahead)
I have a backup set of rims with new tires for the 2017 G90.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Gosh man sorry to hear about your blowout, and about the need for cancer surgery. Many blessings.

Did you hit a pothole or road debris or was this potentially a defect with the tire?

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Don't really know what happened. Didn't hit a pot hole. Tire showed low air pressure then within a minute or two , to get over to side of road, tire just went all the way down.
happened pretty quick I thought

Gosh man sorry to hear about your blowout, and about the need for cancer surgery. Many blessings.

Did you hit a pothole or road debris or was this potentially a defect with the tire?

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Great minds. I was just snooping around Tirerack but I am always concerned that if I buy from them I will have trouble finding a place to install them for me. A while back I found myself stuck with tires that none of my local tire shops would install. Any suggestions? I have since moved closer to Spokane, Wa.
As others have said tirerack has a list of authorized installers in your area. But truthfully I rarely buy from them what I do is find the tires I like and get tireracks pricing and go to my local tire place and they will always match the pricing. Plus my local guy will fit flats for free for life and do things like snow tire change over for free.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I've had good luck with Continental tires in the past. This could have been just one bad tire in a large batch.
These tires do ride very nice; they don't handle like a high performance tire, But that is not what they are designed for.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
On my trip down to Florida this year I experienced BOTH driver's side Conti's blow the sidewalls after hitting a line of potholes on I-75 in Tennessee. There's not much maneuvering room with some of the construction on this road, and at 75mph its a big "BANG" when you hit a sharp edged pothole caused by the rough winter. I just said "CRAP" to my wife when the tire pressure alarm went off and the left rear tire was already showing zero pressure and the front left @ 15 lbs and dropping fast.

After pulling over without hitting the brakes from the passing lane and finding a spot to get on the shoulder, I quickly inspected the tires. Rear had a rip in the sidewall where I could see inside the tire, Front was just flat as a pancake with no easily visible signs of sidewall damage (ended up that the sidewall was torn as well). Rims were fine.

Didn't bother calling Hyundai. Just asked Siri for the closest tow, called them and a flatbed was there within 20 minutes $80 - nice guy. Went to the closest town which was only a mile up the road. It had a small tire shop that was fantastic. Unbelievably he got me up and running in 1.5 hrs with two used tires of the right size. Goodyear for the front and a Yokohama for the back - close enough! $150 installed and balanced - wow! And they ran great for the 12 hrs left on the trip + another 2.5 months here in Florida. Not sure if I should change anything yet...

Not sure if I can fault the Conti's for the blowouts. They are VERY low profile 19" tires (40 series Front, 35 series Rear) so not much shock absorption before the tire is pinched between the pavement and the rim and they did hit hard. Still, I'm hearing about so many issues with these Conti's. Tires had about 25000 miles on them.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I am not hearing/seeing these posts that some in this thread are referencing regarding product defects of tires. Mine have all been related to poor road conditions or debris. All the others I have read have been the same as the post above.

The OP doesn’t mention what caused his blowout.

It would be difficult to compare road issues unless we had impact sensors on the rims and the tire company’s rated the tire for X pounds of force or we guarantee you can hit a 6” deep pot hole at 55 mph.

Keep in mind the alignment too...throw in 2 brand new contis and an alignment and it is almost insurance claim worthy.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I am not hearing/seeing these posts that some in this thread are referencing regarding product defects of tires. Mine have all been related to poor road conditions or debris. All the others I have read have been the same as the post above.

The OP doesn’t mention what caused his blowout.

It would be difficult to compare road issues unless we had impact sensors on the rims and the tire company’s rated the tire for X pounds of force or we guarantee you can hit a 6” deep pot hole at 55 mph.

Keep in mind the alignment too...throw in 2 brand new contis and an alignment and it is almost insurance claim worthy.
Insurance in our location won't cover tire damage resulting from road surface issues unless it causes damage to the body of the car (alignment issues would have to be due to physically bent or broken suspension parts which isn't the case here). Also, I carry a $1000 deductible for collision plus the fact that it would be considered an "At Fault" claim since there were no other cars to blame which nobody needs. I suppose I could contact Continental, but have no interest in getting new Conti's plus the tires as proof were left in Tennessee (still have photos) since our car was fully packed for the trip south and no room for two pooched tires. You've got to pick your battles.

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
"They are VERY low profile 19" tires (40 series Front, 35 series Rear)"
Therein lies the problem. Very low profile, and easily damaged... regardless of brand.