Tire blowouts on g80 sport

FLG80Owner

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have had 5 mostly sidewall blowouts in just 20k miles of driving. Replacement tires cost about $400. This tire is clearly defective. Even a low profile tire should NEVER be this bad! Genesis must know about this. Consumers reports rates this vehicle as #1 in its class but did not analyze tires as part of its rating.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have had 5 mostly sidewall blowouts in just 20k miles of driving. Replacement tires cost about $400. This tire is clearly defective. Even a low profile tire should NEVER be this bad! Genesis must know about this. Consumers reports rates this vehicle as #1 in its class but did not analyze tires as part of its rating.
Thats a lot of blow outs!

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Run them about 5 pounds over. It'll make them stand slightly taller and stiffen the sidewalls... and, replace them!

HogDriver

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have replaced four tires (all front end blowouts) in less than 40,000 miles on my '18 G80 3.3TT Sport. I also have one bent rim that I'm waiting for the insurance company to decide whether they are going to try to straighten or replace. Thanks god I bought the rim and tire insurance when I bought the car. Best $600 I ever spent. I'm currently looking for wheels that will look good on my car that are all the same size that I can rotate. I'll never get low profile tires again. Overall they give you a shitty ride and are not good for high milage use.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have replaced four tires (all front end blowouts) in less than 40,000 miles on my '18 G80 3.3TT Sport. I also have one bent rim that I'm waiting for the insurance company to decide whether they are going to try to straighten or replace. Thanks god I bought the rim and tire insurance when I bought the car. Best $600 I ever spent. I'm currently looking for wheels that will look good on my car that are all the same size that I can rotate. I'll never get low profile tires again. Overall they give you a shitty ride and are not good for high milage use.
Form over function. Most all sporty looking cars have low profile these days. I've not lost a tire yet but recently spent $120 o have a wheel straightened. They did a really good job too. He heats it to about 450 degrees to work it. The car in front of me hit the same object at 70 mph but he had a flat.

Worst part, I was on a trip with 200 miles to go and 1200 miles to return. The vibration seemed less at 80 though. I wonder if that was an acceptable excuse if I was stopped.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm currently looking for wheels that will look good on my car that are all the same size that I can rotate. I'll never get low profile tires again. Overall they give you a shitty ride and are not good for high milage use.
I hear ya, and I've never even owned staggered tires. No desire to start, either. Maybe you could find a set of 18" OEM G80 wheels, that's what came on my base G80 and I'm glad to have them. They are 245/45-18's and it's a great ride.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a 2020 G80 3.3T with the Continental tires. I have had 5 blowouts in the 5000 miles I've driven the car so far. In some of the other forums I see that others have had the same issue with these tires and most seem to recommend replacing with Michelin tires. But no one has followed up saying whether that solved the blowout issue of not. It seems every time you go over even a small pothole the tire blows. Usually the sidewall. None of the reviews rating the car so highly seem to address the tire issus. I have written to Genesis but have not received any response.

What I wanted to know is has anyone actually replaced the Conti tires with Michelin and do they solve the problem of constant blowouts. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Actual blow outs (sudden air release from tire) or sidewall bubbles?

I got a sidewall bubble on the my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T HTRAC\AWD with OEM/factory Continental Procontact TX tire (right front) at 18K miles.

I replaced all 4 tires at 18K miles (still had some tread) with Michelin Pilot A\S 3+. No issues with blowouts/bubbles on these new Mich's, but only got 18K miles out of them. Rear tread is at 4/32" today. Fronts are at 5/32" but got bad wear on inside due to misalignment.

Issue with G80 3.3T (and 5.0 I think) is non-squared tire setup (different sized tires/front). You can't rotate front to rear to compensate for extra wear on RWD car. I expect I'll be replacing tires every 20-25K miles. It's the price for driving a rock star/super model ;). On previous cars (e.g. 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD) I typically got 40-45K miles on a set of tires.

Replacing Mich's with Continental DWS 06's this Friday. I've used these 2x on my previous 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with good results (wear, ride comfort and handling).

Last edited:

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’ve had only one sidewall bubble. The other four were blowouts.

I’m actually afraid to take the car on a long trip because the compact spare only lasts 50 miles or so and the tires are not widely available. Genesis dealers are few and far between.

In years and years of driving I’ve had less than 5 flat tires; now with this car I’ve had 5 in 7 months!

I have heard from other forum’s that the tires for this car only last 15000 to 20000 miles.

Other than the tire issue I do love the car.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've had only one sidewall bubble. The other 4 were blowouts.

From what I've seen on other forums the tires only last from 15000 to 20000 miles. That would be okay were it not for the blowouts. I've driven for many, many, years and have had maybe 5 flat tires in all the years I've driven. Now I have 5 in 7 months!

It's so bad that I am actually fearful of taking a road trip of any distance worrying about getting stuck somewhere. The compact spare is only good for 50 miles or so and I have that many already. The dealer still says it's fine. The tires are not widely available and Genesis dealers are few and far between. Run flat tires also only run 50 to 100 miles so that's not a great solution but does solve the roadside assistance problem.

It is interesting that you've found that the Michelin tires solved the blowout and sidewall bubble problem. That makes it worth it to replace the tires. I did purchase the tire insurance so the tires were replaced free of charge but that doesn't solve the issue of getting stuck far away from home where the spare doesn't get you back home. None of the excellent reviews for the G80 address the tire issue.

Trixie86

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

From what I've seen on other forums the tires only last from 15000 to 20000 miles. That would be okay were it not for the blowouts. I've driven for many, many, years and have had maybe 5 flat tires in all the years I've driven. Now I have 5 in 7 months!

It's so bad that I am actually fearful of taking a road trip of any distance worrying about getting stuck somewhere. The compact spare is only good for 50 miles or so and I have that many already. The dealer still says it's fine. The tires are not widely available and Genesis dealers are few and far between. Run flat tires also only run 50 to 100 miles so that's not a great solution but does solve the roadside assistance problem.

It is interesting that you've found that the Michelin tires solved the blowout and sidewall bubble problem. That makes it worth it to replace the tires. I did purchase the tire insurance so the tires were replaced free of charge but that doesn't solve the issue of getting stuck far away from home where the spare doesn't get you back home. None of the excellent reviews for the G80 address the tire issue.
I have same car and tires. No issues so far after 4000 miles.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
MartinG, curious what kind of roads you drive on. Are there a lot of potholes?

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

My original Continental tires now have >33k miles on them, tread wear has been great. Well, 3 of them, 1 suffered from a puncture. I'd take a road trip today with them! Need to pay attention to the road conditions. :sleep:

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
MartinG, curious what kind of roads you drive on. Are there a lot of potholes?
The roads are 4 lane, paved divided highways with the occasional but hidden pothole. Relatively small but I am traveling at 50-55 mph when I hit. Most of the damage is appears to be the sidewall.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The roads are 4 lane, paved divided highways with the occasional but hidden pothole. Relatively small but I am traveling at 50-55 mph when I hit. Most of the damage is appears to be the sidewall.
Just replaced all 4 tires with the same tires the car came with . DWS 06. I like these tires, I drive 70 mph+ , 90% of the time. They are quiet and the car handles very well with DWS06. Almost 2 years of ownership with zero blowouts.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If I drove in areas with potholes, I'd go to squared up 18" rims to get the taller cross section height, and more protection.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks, TinsleyC. The dealer advised me against changing to 18" rims from the 19" currently. I don't know why but that's what he said.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
23,900 miles on the original Conti's running 37psi up front and 38psi at the rear, not one issue with the tires.

at 3/32 now so the tread is gone and needs to be replaced. 25,000 not bad for the tires IMO, though with non-staggered I'd bet they would have gone 40K, on my Camaro and RCF with same staggered size setup I didn't even get to 20K (12K on the Camaro, 18K on the RCF).

the biggest issue with the Conti's IMO is underinflation, the recommended 33psi for these tires is way to low IMO, great for a softer ride but the weight of these cars causes the tires to have flat spots and creates weakness in the sidewalls from all that weight "bowing" the tire.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That may be good advice for me even as a temporary solution. I'll certainly try it. Thanks. It couldn't be any worse than my current experience.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums