Tire blowouts on g80 sport

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Vancouver WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Most if not all of this thread is OLD NEWS here. I hit a curb (that's on me) at low speed (maybe 10 mph as I was making a right turn. The tire was gouged in the sidewall (no flat). I didn't feel I wanted to take it on a trip that I had planed so called around to several tire shops and no one had a 245/19 or whatever is on the front wheels of a G80 Sport. So I said piss on it, went to Costco and bought 4 Michelin tires. Sold the remaining 3 original equipment Continentals at a steep discount and never looked back.

Last edited:

StarPower

Registered Member
Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The problem isn't all Continental tires, but specifically the Procontact TX (current OEM tire). I replaced mine with the ExtremeContact DWS06 and haven't experienced the same blowout problems.

Trixie86

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The problem isn't all Continental tires, but specifically the Procontact TX (current OEM tire). I replaced mine with the ExtremeContact DWS06 and haven't experienced the same blowout problems.
Not sure if this makes any difference, but the 2020 G80 Sport AWD uses Procontact RX. So far, no issues with these.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thank you so very much for this information. I appreciate it and will investigate what I can do further.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The blowouts are tied to hitting potholes. if your state doesn't have them or you managed to avoid them, the tires likely last. Adding three or four pounds of pressure also helps.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure if this makes any difference, but the 2020 G80 Sport AWD uses Procontact RX. So far, no issues with these.
I have the G80 2020 Turbo 3.3 AWD and it has the Procontact TX tires. That’s the tires I have all the blowouts with. I am not the only one. It must be a systemic problem with these tires.

Thanks.

Trixie86

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Chicago, Il
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have the G80 2020 Turbo 3.3 AWD and it has the Procontact TX tires. That’s the tires I have all the blowouts with. I am not the only one. It must be a systemic problem with these tires.

Thanks.
That's interesting. I wonder why different tires. Car built in Jul 19, I bought in Mar 20. Im in Chicago.

MartinG

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That's interesting. I wonder why different tires. Car built in Jul 19, I bought in Mar 20. Im in Chicago.
My car was purchased in February in NJ.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not uncommon to have more than one supplier and have different tires because of availability or for different models. When you buy a couple of million tires a year you better have a backup if one supplier has a problem.

HogDriver

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I hear ya, and I've never even owned staggered tires. No desire to start, either. Maybe you could find a set of 18" OEM G80 wheels, that's what came on my base G80 and I'm glad to have them. They are 245/45-18's and it's a great ride.
I'm curious what year and model G80 you have. I've been looking at 18 inch rims. Thanks for the 245/45 recomendation!

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm curious what year and model G80 you have. I've been looking at 18 inch rims. Thanks for the 245/45 recomendation!
It's in my signature line, but it's the 2019 RWD base model G80. It comes with non-staggered wheels/tires. But it also comes with the smallest engine, the 3.8. It can't break the rear tires loose. That's why they use larger tires on the rear of the 3.3t and 5.0 engines, to get more tire stick. If you have the 3.8 Sport, I can't see why you would need a staggered setup, but I guess it could affect handling. I just don't see the G80 3.8 as a "sports" car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It's in my signature line, but it's the 2019 RWD base model G80. It comes with non-staggered wheels/tires. But it also comes with the smallest engine, the 3.8. It can't break the rear tires loose. That's why they use larger tires on the rear of the 3.3t and 5.0 engines, to get more tire stick. If you have the 3.8 Sport, I can't see why you would need a staggered setup, but I guess it could affect handling. I just don't see the G80 3.8 as a "sports" car.
Correct. I think of myself as a suave and sophisticated guy as I drive my Luxobarge.

Hammy

GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Actual blow outs (sudden air release from tire) or sidewall bubbles?

I got a sidewall bubble on the my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T HTRAC\AWD with OEM/factory Continental Procontact TX tire (right front) at 18K miles.

I replaced all 4 tires at 18K miles (still had some tread) with Michelin Pilot A\S 3+. No issues with blowouts/bubbles on these new Mich's, but only got 18K miles out of them. Rear tread is at 4/32" today. Fronts are at 5/32" but got bad wear on inside due to misalignment.

Issue with G80 3.3T (and 5.0 I think) is non-squared tire setup (different sized tires/front). You can't rotate front to rear to compensate for extra wear on RWD car. I expect I'll be replacing tires every 20-25K miles. It's the price for driving a rock star/super model ;). On previous cars (e.g. 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD) I typically got 40-45K miles on a set of tires.

Replacing Mich's with Continental DWS 06's this Friday. I've used these 2x on my previous 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 with good results (wear, ride comfort and handling).
Why not put the same size all around? Width difference is minimal. Higher sidewall should cause less bubbles/blowouts.

bubbaG80Sport

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Why not put the same size all around? Width difference is minimal. Higher sidewall should cause less bubbles/blowouts.
Using same size tire on existing rims is an unknown (will it fit, potential handling/ride issues etc.). I am unwilling to buy appropriate new rims (~$2K-USD) to square up the car.

The difference in sidewall height between 245/40/19" and a 275/35/19" tire size is negligible (~1.75mm / 0.06889764"). To increase sidewall height you'd have to go to a smaller diameter tire (< 19"), which definitely would not work on factory/stokc 19" rims.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The stock squared up wheels on the base G80 are 245/45-18's (EDIT: originally I incorrectly typed 19's), that's what's on my car. I've often wondered how they would fit / perform on a 3.3/5.0 car.

If they would work, you would think an OEM set would be fairly easy to find, folks often replace all four with a custom set of wheels and then sell the originals.

Last edited:

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
The stock squared up wheels on the base G80 are 245/45-19's, that's what's on my car. I've often wondered how they would fit / perform on a 3.3/5.0 car.

If they would work, you would think an OEM set would be fairly easy to find, folks often replace all four with a custom set of wheels and then sell the originals.
Aren't your G80's tires 245x45 -18's?

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
Don't the tires that blow out on G80 Sport the rear only
or do the front tires have issues too? Rear tires are much lower aspect ratio than front. I think this is the problem combine with POS OEM Continental tires.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Just replaced my OEM tires 28,000 miles zero issues, zero blow outs, zero problems

as I have stated time and again, I firmly believe the blowouts and related issues with the OEM tires is them being under inflated and the recommended PSI on the door jam being too low for a vehicle of this weight.

I have always run 38psi cold on mine and had zero issues.

I did replace them with Pilot Sport A/S 3+ however due to having had these on 2 other cars and preferring the overall handling and longevity of them.

However longevity might be a moot point as my lease is up in 2 months. I won’t be buying the G80, was vehicle shopping this past week and have pretty much settled on a 2021 Palisades Calligraphy, dealer I use for service has the one I want in White/Black in transit due late January, but the GM is trying to dealer trade for an exact match at another dealership so I can get it next week. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Don't the tires that blow out on G80 Sport the rear only
or do the front tires have issues too? Rear tires are much lower aspect ratio than front. I think this is the problem combine with POS OEM Continental tires.
I'm still on 3 of my original Continentals at 38k. Had to replace 1 of the rear tires because of a puncture from debris.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums