• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire Pressure Monitor Removal

R.K.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I have to remove the tire pressure monitor to fit winter tires, how annoying is it going to be? Just a light? Or is the car going to beep at me every time I start it up?

NLJ

Registered Member
Vancouver
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If I have to remove the tire pressure monitor to fit winter tires, how annoying is it going to be? Just a light? Or is the car going to beep at me every time I start it up?
Might not be a problem the first time but the gaskets/o-rings may wear out faster taking them off and on and not to mention if they are seized, they may break.
Happened on my TL SH-AWD on 3 out of 4 and they had to be replaced when I started having slow leaks. Only 1 came off properly and needed the o-ring was replaced and re-installed.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't get why you would have to remove it. Are you talking about going without on your winter wheel/tire setup? If so I wouldn't do that as a blinking light or beeping or whatever isn't worth it. Just get an extra set.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OP - are you removing the TPMS from the stock rims for your winter tires? or are you removing the stock rims & tires to fit aftermarket rims & winter tires, and these new rims will not have TPMS?

if case #1, just leave the TPMS on the rim and you are set - just do the tire swap.

if case #2, i imagine you'll get a visual warning that can be bypassed - but you'll probably have to bypass this each time the warning is triggered. likely every time you drive more than a few blocks.

i drove for several summers without TPMS on my summer rims in my last car (Infiniti) and just had a warning light come on the dash. i ignored it and simply monitored my tire pressure as i had done for decades before TPMS came along. no issues, no concerns. some guys on the forums stuck electrical tape over where the light was, lol. the Infiniti/Nissan TPMS were quite pricey as i recall so more guys did this. i think the Genesis/Hyundai TPMS are relatively cheap so i'd just grab a spare set if it was me...

savemoresaveoften

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
TPMS for my winter tire $250 for the set including programming. Quite reasonable esp if you plan to keep the car for at least a few years. If not, may as well just get winter tires only and swap on factory wheels.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums