Tire Recommendations for 2015 Genesis 3.8 RWD 245/45/18

boamot66

Hasn't posted much yet...
I'm looking for recommendations from current Genesis owners regarding tire replacement. I still have the factory Michelins and after 55k miles it's time for new shoes. I'd like to save a little money, versus the 325.00 price for each new Michelin, but don't want to sacrifice the ride and noise level. I'm not 100% satisfied with the traction of these tires in snow, but haven't tried any other brand for comparison. I've browsed through some of the threads, most are older, regarding the Conti's - positive and negative posts. Suggestions on any tire brand that you're satisfied with would be appreciated.

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I would stay with Michelins.
55000 miles is great longevity .
I doubt if a cheaper tire would wear that well.
I think you get what you pay for.
just my 2 c..

Disclaimer. I don't work for Michelin but I have them on My Genny & Mercedes 500SL & have never had any issues with any of their tires.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I'm still running the original Michelins that came on the car, right at 23k now. I've bought 19" staggered OEM wheels and when these tires wear out I'm going to put Michelin AS3+ (stock sizes) on them. My tire guy quoted me 1100 for 4 out the door. I've run Michelins on my person autos for a long time.

boamot66

I would stay with Michelins.
55000 miles is great longevity .
I doubt if a cheaper tire would wear that well.
I think you get what you pay for.
just my 2 c..

Disclaimer. I don't work for Michelin but I have them on My Genny & Mercedes 500SL & have never had any issues with any of their tires.
Thanks so much for the input. You're right. My son is trying to get me to buy the Lexani's, half the cost, but my current ride with my Michelins is why I fell in love with the Genesis - can't compromise in that department. Found a good deal through Costco on my Michelins and that's where I'm going!!

boamot66

I'm still running the original Michelins that came on the car, right at 23k now. I've bought 19" staggered OEM wheels and when these tires wear out I'm going to put Michelin AS3+ (stock sizes) on them. My tire guy quoted me 1100 for 4 out the door. I've run Michelins on my person autos for a long time.
Thanks so much for the input! Sticking with Michelin!

BillZ

Registered Member
Toronto
I'm looking for recommendations from current Genesis owners regarding tire replacement. I still have the factory Michelins and after 55k miles it's time for new shoes. I'd like to save a little money, versus the 325.00 price for each new Michelin, but don't want to sacrifice the ride and noise level. I'm not 100% satisfied with the traction of these tires in snow, but haven't tried any other brand for comparison. I've browsed through some of the threads, most are older, regarding the Conti's - positive and negative posts. Suggestions on any tire brand that you're satisfied with would be appreciated.
In an earlier post, I had highly recommended Pirelli P-Zero All-Season Plus tires that had replaced the Michelins on my 3.8. As noted by Consumer Reports in their high rating of these tires, they were initially very quiet and handled well. Flat-spotting was absent. Unfortunately, I have to withdraw my recommendation. After only 16,000 km. (less than 10,000 miles), I noticed a vibration problem which wheel balancing (including road force balancing) failed to correct. The tire dealer finally identified a fault in the sidewall of one of the tires which could not be accurately balanced and that tire was replaced at my cost with a warranty claim being submitted to Pirelli. After several months the claim was denied with Pirelli denying they could see any fault, even though they admitted that they had failed to even look for a cause for vibration or lack of balance as their inspection did not include testing the tire while mounted on a wheel. Worse, I'm still feeling some vibration (although less with the new tire). I won't be going back to Pirellis when it's time for another replacement.

Last edited:

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Our 2015 cpo came with brand new Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires and so far so good after 4000 miles or so. Quiet ride and no vibration. I do like Michelin Pilot Sport tires the best overall.

brimcg

I'm on my second set of Michelins, and this set lasted 27,000 miles before wearing down to 3/32 on the tires. I don't drive like Grandma...Grandmas pass me. I am so upset because this is exactly what happened with the first set! There will not be a third set...

kw88keys

Registered Member
NYC
I recently replaced my 245/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS All-Season Radial Tires - 245/45R19 98W, They both are within $15.00 of each other - slightly over $200 each. I think I have a very slight preference for the ride quality of the Michelins but the Potenzas also ride very nicely and have assertive grip though I have not had a chance to try them out in the snow. Very highly rated on TireRack. I was a bit disappointed that the Michelins were down to 4/32" of tread after 26K miles and were beginning to hydroplane in heavy rain. Chartng out the wear rate, I could have gotten 30K miles before the tires would not pass the inspection tread depth test but the grip was definitely deteriorating.
I am driving a 2014 RSpec sedan.

BillZ

Registered Member
Toronto
This is an update to my post of a few days ago in which I complained about Pirelli's response to my warranty claim on the P-Zero All-Season tire which required replacement due to balance issues. They have now decided to provide me with compensation under "goodwill consideration" even though they continue to deny a warranty issue. I suppose whether you call it a wall or a fence shouldn't matter and at least they stepped up.

kaigoss69

JAX
Genesis Model Type
I just replaced the Contis on my '15 CPO 5.0 ultimate with Falken Azenis FK510, 245 /40 R19 98Y XL BSW front and 285 /35 R19 103Y XL BSW on the rear. I went 285 on the rear since the 275 size was backordered. Total cost just over 900 including Discount Tire replacement warranty plan. I have to say, I LOVE these tires. I love driving my car again. They look great and handle extremely well. Super quiet. Also, I had a vibration at highway speeds and it went away with these tires. Highly recommended, and much cheaper than the big brands. BTW I went to Costco and the cheapest option was over 1500.

Carol

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm on my second set of Michelins, and this set lasted 27,000 miles before wearing down to 3/32 on the tires. I don't drive like Grandma...Grandmas pass me. I am so upset because this is exactly what happened with the first set! There will not be a

Michilens have different quality tires as well. The ones that come with new cars are not necessarily their best quality. I have owned cars for 45 years and tried different tires over that time but I always return to good quality Michelins. If you amortize the price over the number of years that you’ll own the car, you’ll find it’s a small annual cost.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.