• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire Replacement Time!

REMIX

Registered Member
Sarasota & Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
In about a month I'm going to replace my tires. What's the consensus on a quiet tire with decent wear characteristics? I'm in FL so I don't need all weather.

Car currently has some Nexens (came with them, unsure if they're original).

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree with kocyk123 . I just put a set of Pirelli Centurium P7 Plus on my 2018 G80. They are quiet, handling is great and they are cheaper than the Michelins.
I highly recommend them.

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
My OEM Michelins barely lasted 16k miles. They got noisy after first 3-4k miles. At 16k miles they were so noisy that I couldn't stand driving my car and had to buy Pirellis. Had them on my previous car and they were quiet and comfortable for the 14k miles before I sold the car. I have almost 8k miles on Pirellis now and they are as quiet and comfortable as when I got them brand new. Best all season grand touring tire in my opinion. If you decide to buy them, try ordering through pepboys. They used to have a glitch on their web allowing you to buy 245/45/18 for the price of more standard size. They also forgot to charge me the installation fee so I saved over $200 ;-)

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
My OEM Michelins barely lasted 16k miles. They got noisy after first 3-4k miles. At 16k miles they were so noisy that I couldn't stand driving my car and had to buy Pirellis. Had them on my previous car and they were quiet and comfortable for the 14k miles before I sold the car. I have almost 8k miles on Pirellis now and they are as quiet and comfortable as when I got them brand new. Best all season grand touring tire in my opinion. If you decide to buy them, try ordering through pepboys. They used to have a glitch on their web allowing you to buy 245/45/18 for the price of more standard size. They also forgot to charge me the installation fee so I saved over $200 ;-)
How are they with flat spots ? My contis are the worst, sit for one week and wow! Shake the car horribly for the first 10 miles. And after that they calm down but still seems like they are a little square!

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
I have never had any problems with flat spots. I was gone for 10 days two weeks and (car stayed in the garage) and haven't experienced any shaking or vibration. Pirelli P7's will make you love driving your Genny again.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have never had any problems with flat spots. I was gone for 10 days two weeks and (car stayed in the garage) and haven't experienced any shaking or vibration. Pirelli P7's will make you love driving your Genny again.
Thanks that will be my next tire. I believe this car seat alot before I owned it . I think there are some permanent flat spots from long bouts of sitting, if that is possible?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Might be possible. Did you have that checked out? I always like to balance the wheels and ask technician to put every single wheel on the machine and spin it for me so I can check if the rims aren't bent etc. They couldn't balance out my wheels two times in the row so I asked if they can spin all 4 wheels on the machine for me and noticed that two were slightly bent. Got them fixed for $100 each and then the ride became buttery smooth. Worth checking that before putting new tires on.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Might be possible. Did you have that checked out? I always like to balance the wheels and ask technician to put every single wheel on the machine and spin it for me so I can check if the rims aren't bent etc. They couldn't balance out my wheels two times in the row so I asked if they can spin all 4 wheels on the machine for me and noticed that two were slightly bent. Got them fixed for $100 each and then the ride became buttery smooth. Worth checking that before putting new tires on.
I had dealer balance them ,they left old weights there and put new ones next to the old ones. Dont like that practice. Took them off and went down to Graham tire here in SD. I have a good relation ship with manager there. They did nice job with balancing them. But to get to your point I did not stand there and check them out. I should have! I am going to take them off of car this weekend and do that. This is the first car I have owned and have dealer work on it . Due to it being under warranty. I might have them dis mount them if there is nothing visual with tire mounted.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I had dealer balance them ,they left old weights there and put new ones next to the old ones. Dont like that practice. Took them off and went down to Graham tire here in SD. I have a good relation ship with manager there. They did nice job with balancing them. But to get to your point I did not stand there and check them out. I should have! I am going to take them off of car this weekend and do that. This is the first car I have owned and have dealer work on it . Due to it being under warranty. I might have them dis mount them if there is nothing visual with tire mounted.
I think you might be right about the rim being bent . Feels like it,very very slight but non the less it is not as smooth as it should be. I am very annal about my vehicles. I even clean my springs and suspension parts with a rag and wd40!!!@@! I cant help myself

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
I am very anal about my vehicles as well. You should try to take it back to the place where you have had your wheels balanced last time and they might be able to re-balance them for free if it wasn't too long ago. If they do, make sure you ask them to spin each wheel on the balancing machine and then look at it from all angles and you'll see if you have a rim or tire problem.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am very anal about my vehicles as well. You should try to take it back to the place where you have had your wheels balanced last time and they might be able to re-balance them for free if it wasn't too long ago. If they do, make sure you ask them to spin each wheel on the balancing machine and then look at it from all angles and you'll see if you have a rim or tire problem.
Yes good idea I appreciate it .

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
Wife and I both have '15 5.0's, so...same wheels on each car. She has Michelin A/S 3's and I have Toyo Proxos 4's. I can't tell a difference in them. Her previous 15 5.0 had Continentals before I put A/S 3's on that car too. Never could tell a difference there either.

My suspicion is that tires on a car like this (inherently quiet vehicle and not truly sports oriented) are like listening to new speakers. There may be a lot of placebo effect going on. My guess would be a blind test would reveal surprising results. Then there's the type of roads people travel on the most. That can make a huge difference.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Wife and I both have '15 5.0's, so...same wheels on each car. She has Michelin A/S 3's and I have Toyo Proxos 4's. I can't tell a difference in them. Her previous 15 5.0 had Continentals before I put A/S 3's on that car too. Never could tell a difference there either.

My suspicion is that tires on a car like this (inherently quiet vehicle and not truly sports oriented) are like listening to new speakers. There may be a lot of placebo effect going on. My guess would be a blind test would reveal surprising results. Then there's the type of roads people travel on the most. That can make a huge difference.
Thanks for your input there mr. Bourbon and cigars. I'm guessing I have a bent wheel on my car. I was told that these tires can achieve flat spots by sitting and if they sit too long the flat spots will never go away. Not sure how true that is. I never had a car with such low profile tires. So I am still learning. When I lived back East I had connections. So I had access to balancers and lifts out here in South Dakota don't know all that many folks have to rely on the dealer. Can't say that I trust the dealer.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for your input there mr. Bourbon and cigars. I'm guessing I have a bent wheel on my car. I was told that these tires can achieve flat spots by sitting and if they sit too long the flat spots will never go away. Not sure how true that is. I never had a car with such low profile tires. So I am still learning. When I lived back East I had connections. So I had access to balancers and lifts out here in South Dakota don't know all that many folks have to rely on the dealer. Can't say that I trust the dealer.
Totally possible to bend a wheel but it's usually an easily known event. And I've never heard of a permanent flat spot happening from 10 days of sitting. Plus you said it smooths out after 10 miles or so, so I don't think it's a bent wheel. Sounds like just a normal low profile tire to me. Mine behave pretty much the same way.

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Totally possible to bend a wheel but it's usually an easily known event. And I've never heard of a permanent flat spot happening from 10 days of sitting. Plus you said it smooths out after 10 miles or so, so I don't think it's a bent wheel. Sounds like just a normal low profile tire to me. Mine behave pretty much the same way.
At high speeds like 70 or higher it seems like it should be smoother . I purchased the car in Schaumburg Illinois, but it came from upstate Minnesota, the car has low miles. I assume that it sat most of the winter up there. And it sometimes sits for weeks at a time in my garage. So that why I was thinking it was a tire.But it just does not feel as smooth as it should,like I said at high speeds. 70+ and out here I drive that speed everywhere I go. And around 120 ,130 mph you can really feel something is no quite right. It just hit 32k sunday so I wouldn't think something is worn,and Hyundai tells me it all tight underneath. So I D K!!

Kraig Wilkinson

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
At high speeds like 70 or higher it seems like it should be smoother . I purchased the car in Schaumburg Illinois, but it came from upstate Minnesota, the car has low miles. I assume that it sat most of the winter up there. And it sometimes sits for weeks at a time in my garage. So that why I was thinking it was a tire.But it just does not feel as smooth as it should,like I said at high speeds. 70+ and out here I drive that speed everywhere I go. And around 120 ,130 mph you can really feel something is no quite right. It just hit 32k sunday so I wouldn't think something is worn,and Hyundai tells me it all tight underneath. So I D K!!
Anyhow I have a way better understanding about tires that other people use on their own Genny and gives me some direction on which way to go !! Thanks

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums