• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire size opinion

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone have any input on upsizing tires one size on stock sport wheels? 235 on front no problem actually what I want and the reason for the size change. 265 on rear becomes the question. Manufacturers suggest max of 255. Tire shop said no problem. A second tire shop said no safety issue will fit on rim but tire may not contact properly. Not much on the interweb except manufacturer suggestion. Seen pics online doesn't really appear any different. Only .196 , 3/16 " or 5mm on each side. Wheel is 83% of tire width. I read as long as you are 80% and some say 85%.
Or is this all ridiculous and stick with stock size?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was thinking of going up to 245's and 265's when I get my next set of tires and did some research a month or so ago. I came across a Fitment Industries video on YouTube (linked below) about tire stretch that may be helpful. They also have some calculator things on their website.
Wheel Offset Calculator | Fitment Industries

From my understanding, it shouldn't be an issue to go up, but you will have the rubber protrude out a bit. I see it as extra grip and slight protection for the rim since the tire would rub the curb a bit sooner than before.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If anyone is interested, here are some quick pics with 235/40-19 front & 265/35-19 rear all seasons with 5mm spacers (not sure if I am keeping the spacers). Now just got to get rid of my old tires $500 + $100 shipped if anyone is interested.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If anyone is interested, here are some quick pics with 235/40-19 front & 265/35-19 rear all seasons with 5mm spacers (not sure if I am keeping the spacers). Now just got to get rid of my old tires $500 + $100 shipped if anyone is interested.

Attachments

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks good! Are the spacers on both front and back? Didn't want to go wider on the front tire width as well?

Also, any chance of a closer shot of the rears?

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks good! Are the spacers on both front and back? Didn't want to go wider on the front tire width as well?

Also, any chance of a closer shot of the rears?
Yes spacers are front and back, and both front and back are one size larger. That was my main motivation to get a size larger because I did not like the streached look of the front tire.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks! Apparently I'm an idiot and thought we had 235's stock in the front. D'oh!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums