• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Tire vibration......

SUESGENESIS

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Just purchased a new G80. Did not even drive 25 miles and discovered a very bad vibration coming from the tires[Continental pro contact]. It was so bad it shook the steering wheel. Dealer suggested driving 1000 miles to correct the problem. The problem did not correct itself so the dealer replaced all 4 tires. Have now driven a few miles on these new tires and even though its not as bad, the problem still exists. Can anyone give me suggestions. Please help........

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just purchased a new G80. Did not even drive 25 miles and discovered a very bad vibration coming from the tires[Continental pro contact]. It was so bad it shook the steering wheel. Dealer suggested driving 1000 miles to correct the problem. The problem did not correct itself so the dealer replaced all 4 tires. Have now driven a few miles on these new tires and even though its not as bad, the problem still exists. Can anyone give me suggestions. Please help........
Bent rim ! Same thing happened to me

jda8

Registered Member
Could be a bent rim, could be bad tires, could be both. I had the exact same problem with my 2018 G90 5.0. Took it into the dealership three different times (super pissed the third time). In a month’s time, they put on two new sets of all new tires. Apparently the first new set were bad. The second new set were road force balanced and all is perfect now. Drives smoothly, doesn’t shake at all, and I’m finally happy. It’s my opinion that the Continental tires Genesis uses are total junk. Three other tires on my car previously had the sidewall blow out. I’ve had almost $5,000 in tires put on and/or replaced in the year and four months I’ve had my G90. Always tire problems. Luckily it’s cost me only $600 out of my own pocket. Have your dealership check the new tires again and ask about road force balancing. It’s simply unacceptable to have a vehicle of this caliber shake or shimmy on the highway. Take it back over and over, like I did, until they get it right. Don’t settle.

P.S. the dealership also told me that one of my rims are bent and it’s irreparable and won’t be covered under warranty if I have them replace it with a new rim. Despite this, the car still drives perfectly with the newest set of road force balanced tires.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Some bent rims can fixed/adjusted. I had a similar vibration issue, albeit not as extreme as you report, on my 2018 G80 Sport. At 15K miles (with a guestimated 10K thread left) I replaced the Conti ProContact factory tires with Michelin Sport A/S 3+ tires. I took it to a "high-end" non-car dealer European (Beemer's, Audi's and Merc's) repair shop. They did a repair on 2 rims road force balanced all four tires and checked/adjusted alignment on all 4 corners.. The rim repair was contracted out. A guy showed up towing a trailer with a jig to mount rim and manually bend/adjust the rim. Each rim adjustment was about $50 and took about 15 minutes for each rim.

Car has very mild vibration until tires warm up now. I run tire pressures of 35F/39R-PSI cold which is +1-PSI over the recommended pressure in the driver side door jam sticker (34F/38R). I do this because I drive mostly high/highway speeds and to have some extra air with seasonal ambient temperature changes. I excessively/regularly check tire pressures using in-car readings and a quality tire pressure gauge at least monthly. I find the car and gauge generally read about the same (+/- 1PSI).

The Conti ProContact factory tires are the wrong tire for this car. This tire barely meets the weight load (+4,600lbs) for my "hefty" 2018 G80 sport. Conti makes good tires IMO. I ran 3 sets of Conti DWS06 on my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 and loved them.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums