• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

To the person who designed the radio present selector switch:

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Last edited by a moderator:

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, it bugs me too. Never remember which way I'm going. That and I'm always hitting "pause" when turning the volume up or down with the jog dial...

... in the grand scheme, minor problems.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You need to evolve...it actually makes sense!!
I've gotten used to it, but I don't see where it makes sense.

How about the light switches in your house. Up is on, down is off and they don't change if you put the TV on. What logical reason should the channel selector change if the Nav is on?

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Think of how phones work.

Example...the up/down light switch doesn’t apply really. All my switches are “smart”...left/right on my phone.

Also...hit the voice command to switch to anything non-sequential.

Yeah...evolving is definitely cool!

I chopped off my nipples years ago.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
^ do you drive your house? Last I checked you drive your car ;)
Now I understand. You can make a snarky comment but have no good logical explanation of why the switching should change when Nav is used. It is counter-intuitive and follows no logic.

Does the wiper control change? No
Do the light switches change? No
Does the cruise control change? No
Do the climate controls buttons change? No
Does the garage door opener button change? No

Yet the radio station buttons reverse. If anyone has a simple logical explanation I'll listen but until then, I think it is dumb.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Now I understand. You can make a snarky comment but have no good logical explanation of why the switching should change when Nav is used. It is counter-intuitive and follows no logic.

Does the wiper control change? No
Do the light switches change? No
Does the cruise control change? No
Do the climate controls buttons change? No
Does the garage door opener button change? No

Yet the radio station buttons reverse. If anyone has a simple logical explanation I'll listen but until then, I think it is dumb.
First off...it was a joke...sort of.

Secondly...it does make sense. We have been through this before. Depending on the application/view...it almost mirrors the way we use smart phones, etc. I can assure you that this was researched...and not a mistake.

Next...nothing you posted makes sense...

Does the wiper control change?
Absolutely...the G70 changed this by actually displaying a a status about where your wipers are set to. No other brand (that I know does this). Yet every brand changes whether up is down and down is up.

Do the light switches change?
What light switch? Every car is different...light switches everywhere. Rotary...switches...etc. As for your home...absolutely they change. Toggles...panels...wireless...etc.

Does the cruise control change?
Um...yeah. Duh. Compare today's cruise control to 10 years ago. Nuff said.

Do the climate controls buttons change?
Um...again...yeah. Double duh. Dials...switches...and now touch screens.

Does the garage door opener button change?
Um...again...and again yeah. Triple duh. Who has an ugly brown clicker anymore? Homelink...wireless...etc.

Why would you even make this post? It was so easy to tear apart...I typed all of the above with one hand.

Everything always changes...didn't think that would even be argued.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think it makes sense and matches the UI.

When looking at the UI, on the radio UI, the numbers are in ascending order so if were to press up it wouldn't mesh with what you see and that would be weird. Could they have put the preset in descending order...sure. But that's weird too because each additional assignment would cause an order reshuffle - at least visually.

When not on the UI up goes up and down goes down, numerically, again matching the expectation.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My last car got around this by having the preset run along the bottom of the screen. So I was FORCED to remember that up was right and down was left.

In a good UI you should never be forced to do an action from rote...it's a big no no. Or, you could use the rotary control which meshed with your personal schema.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The idea is that if you're on the radio screen itself, you see the stacked list of presets - so down goes down the list, and vice-versa. If you're on another screen, bereft of this context, the switch operates as "up = next" and "down = previous." It's quite logical to me, but customers definitely complain often about it...

Which is why they changed it for the 2020 G90 - now the switch is ALWAYS down = next and up = back, which throws me but I'm getting used to it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
First off...it was a joke...sort of.

Secondly...it does make sense. We have been through this before. Depending on the application/view...it almost mirrors the way we use smart phones, etc. I can assure you that this was researched...and not a mistake.

Next...nothing you posted makes sense...

Does the wiper control change?
Absolutely...the G70 changed this by actually displaying a a status about where your wipers are set to. No other brand (that I know does this). Yet every brand changes whether up is down and down is up.

Do the light switches change?
What light switch? Every car is different...light switches everywhere. Rotary...switches...etc. As for your home...absolutely they change. Toggles...panels...wireless...etc.

Does the cruise control change?
Um...yeah. Duh. Compare today's cruise control to 10 years ago. Nuff said.

Do the climate controls buttons change?
Um...again...yeah. Double duh. Dials...switches...and now touch screens.

Does the garage door opener button change?
Um...again...and again yeah. Triple duh. Who has an ugly brown clicker anymore? Homelink...wireless...etc.

Why would you even make this post? It was so easy to tear apart...I typed all of the above with one hand.

Everything always changes...didn't think that would even be argued.
We are not comparing ten years ago. We are comparing present use, minute to minute. Sure, the wiper control on the Genesis is different that an old Ford, but if you use the navigation is still works the same way.

The controls on my smart phone remain the same. The volume button is the same no mater what app is running. The back button is back no matter what app is running. Switching is just not logical.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The idea is that if you're on the radio screen itself, you see the stacked list of presets - so down goes down the list, and vice-versa. If you're on another screen, bereft of this context, the switch operates as "up = next" and "down = previous." It's quite logical to me, but customers definitely complain often about it...

Which is why they changed it for the 2020 G90 - now the switch is ALWAYS down = next and up = back, which throws me but I'm getting used to it.
Having is change the way it works is not logical. Perhaps they should show the stations in reverse order? The purpose of having steering wheel controls it to make it easier and safer for the driver. Having different moves with different applications is safer how?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Beefer @EdP

It both makes sense and doesn't. It is associating the direction of "up" with the visual. Which makes sense for people staring at the screen, just like on your cable TV guide. And then when you're not, it associates it with "up a channel", again like on a TV.

From the other perspective. many of us have memorized where the channels are on the list. We'd rather have a consistent movement based only on that static list. At which point the logic of the head unit is bonkers.

The best solution is don't listen to the radio :hillarious:

16UltV6Guy

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
How about the light switches in your house. Up is on, down is off ......
Actually, if you have a light that is controlled in more than one location (ie, a hall light or stairwell light, with a switch at each end), then the switch does change if you use the other switch than the one first used. The switch could end up being off in the up position, and on in the down position.

That aside, I do understand, and agree with, your arguments here though.

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Actually, if you have a light that is controlled in more than one location (ie, a hall light or stairwell light, with a switch at each end), then the switch does change if you use the other switch than the one first used. The switch could end up being off in the up position, and on in the down position.

That aside, I do understand, and agree with, your arguments here though.
You're referring to three way switches that technically DO NOT have an OFF or ON position.