Took the plunge!

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
I'm now driving a Black/Black Equus Signature as of yesterday afternoon!

Some may recall that my 27 mo. lease on the 2009 4.6 Genesis is up in a month, but that I was leaning toward purchasing it due to the (about) $5K positive equity (purchase price of $23.5, versus at least $28K value). I was then going to wait for 2012 Genesis and the 5 litre/8 speed combo.

But then I saw the Equus on the showroom floor yesterday. All shiny and new, kind of whispering my name...

Sat down with the Sales Manager, mentioned that some dealers were actually "dealing" (thanks Cliffbig!), and he agreed to very favorable terms that won me over. He asked that I not post details yet, but I will say that the experience was all good, no hassle, and put the Equus into a position that made sense vis a vis a loaded Gen.

As for the car, I was only able to drive about 30 miles yesterday. But any pundit, critic, magazine reviewer that criticizes the ride specifically has NEVER driven the Genesis! Talk about a night/day difference... And I'm one that actually liked the ride in my Genny.

More later, but wanted to share my joy right away!
:)

DubaiRich

Registered Member
Plantation, FL
Congrats on the purchase.

The dealer asked you not to post yet, and you are listening to them??? What is happening in the world today...first floods, birds falling from the sky, dead fish, and now forum members adhering to the words of a dealer...plasphemy I tell you!!!

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
Congrats!
The Equus is definitely an awesome car for the money.
How is the iPad manual? Where's the iPhone/iPad adapter located?
Cuz I don't think the iPad would fit in the center console, and it would be nice to have a manual plugged in, used as an external music source.

How is the air suspension, btw? Is sport mode really sporty enough like the Genesis?
I really want to go test drive one to see how it rides, but usually when I go test drive one... you know how it normally goes.
Again, congrats on your new car. Enjoy!

Dan

*Did you order the rear 'wing' emblem yet? hated the flying H emblem on the USDM Equus.

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Congrats on the purchase.

The dealer asked you not to post yet, and you are listening to them??? What is happening in the world today...first floods, birds falling from the sky, dead fish, and now forum members adhering to the words of a dealer...plasphemy I tell you!!!
Hee. You're right, honoring a dealer's request IS a little strange! But for the price he gave me...
;)

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Congrats!
The Equus is definitely an awesome car for the money.
How is the iPad manual? Where's the iPhone/iPad adapter located?
Cuz I don't think the iPad would fit in the center console, and it would be nice to have a manual plugged in, used as an external music source.

How is the air suspension, btw? Is sport mode really sporty enough like the Genesis?
I really want to go test drive one to see how it rides, but usually when I go test drive one... you know how it normally goes.
Again, congrats on your new car. Enjoy!

Dan

*Did you order the rear 'wing' emblem yet? hated the flying H emblem on the USDM Equus.
iPad: It comes with the 'second PDI' after Hyundai is notified of the purchase/lease. Apparently there is a specific protocol to Equus delivery, different from the Gen. That takes place next Saturday. Also: Hyundai gives you a 3G (non-wifi) version of the iPad, with them paying for 1 year of AT&T data service. After that you're on your own (unless that changes).
But even better: a full OM in the glove box too! I suspect the iPad will never see the car.

Ride: Didn't try 'sport' yet. It was snowing/sleeting here yesterday. But I did take it over some of my uncomfortable roads (concrete, expansion joints) and that's where the differences were clear. Unbelievable difference.
Lastly, there was a MAJOR difference in about an inch of snow. Never lost grip/track in conditions that would have me babying the Gen. I suspect the ContiTrac's have a lot to do with that, possibly aided by different sized tires front/back. I'm curious to see how things handle in a deeper snow.
(Though I did transfer 160 lbs of cat litter from the Gen!)

msitter

Registered Member
Greer, SC
It is truly rewarding to see that the car some called old technology is receiving such a good reception. This is a very good car at a very good price and as I said previously, Hyundai will have no problems meeting the modest sales forecast they have set. Good luck with your new car and enjoy.

Dimitry

Registered Member
With that positive equity, you are probably paying the same as you were on the Genesis :)

Congrats -- I am waiting for the 5.0 towards this summer

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Congratulations! Post pictures when you get a moment...

I'm now driving a Black/Black Equus Signature as of yesterday afternoon!

Some may recall that my 27 mo. lease on the 2009 4.6 Genesis is up in a month, but that I was leaning toward purchasing it due to the (about) $5K positive equity (purchase price of $23.5, versus at least $28K value). I was then going to wait for 2012 Genesis and the 5 litre/8 speed combo.

But then I saw the Equus on the showroom floor yesterday. All shiny and new, kind of whispering my name...

Sat down with the Sales Manager, mentioned that some dealers were actually "dealing" (thanks Cliffbig!), and he agreed to very favorable terms that won me over. He asked that I not post details yet, but I will say that the experience was all good, no hassle, and put the Equus into a position that made sense vis a vis a loaded Gen.

As for the car, I was only able to drive about 30 miles yesterday. But any pundit, critic, magazine reviewer that criticizes the ride specifically has NEVER driven the Genesis! Talk about a night/day difference... And I'm one that actually liked the ride in my Genny.

More later, but wanted to share my joy right away!
:)
2 of my friends also got their Equus this month. Both are loving the experience.
Hey! I hope you told them about our site! We could use some more Equus owners around here. :)

cliffbig

Been here awhile...
Marietta, GA
Sat down with the Sales Manager, mentioned that some dealers were actually "dealing" (thanks Cliffbig!), and he agreed to very favorable terms that won me over.
I felt like it would have been discourteous to Ed Voyles Hyundai to post precise facts and figures of our deal, because every deal involving a trade-in is different--but I had hoped that letting fellow forum members know that the price was open to negotiation might encourage more to talk to their dealers and see what could be done.

It was a good car before, in spite of its flaws. When you can negotiate the right price, though, it's a great car, isn't it?!

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
I felt like it would have been discourteous to Ed Voyles Hyundai to post precise facts and figures of our deal, because every deal involving a trade-in is different--but I had hoped that letting fellow forum members know that the price was open to negotiation might encourage more to talk to their dealers and see what could be done.

It was a good car before, in spite of its flaws. When you can negotiate the right price, though, it's a great car, isn't it?!
Indubitably!

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
With that positive equity, you are probably paying the same as you were on the Genesis :)

Congrats -- I am waiting for the 5.0 towards this summer
Wink.

As for the 5.0/8 speed, that makes sense. But somehow the current combo feels even better than in the Gen. One quick observation:
Much less hesitation from a rolling stop, can't even feel gears shifting. So while I understand waiting (that's what I was going to do), I suspect I won't be sorry I didn't.

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
It is truly rewarding to see that the car some called old technology is receiving such a good reception. This is a very good car at a very good price and as I said previously, Hyundai will have no problems meeting the modest sales forecast they have set. Good luck with your new car and enjoy.
Agreed, and thank you.

xradman

Hasn't posted much yet...
Wink.

As for the 5.0/8 speed, that makes sense. But somehow the current combo feels even better than in the Gen. One quick observation:
Much less hesitation from a rolling stop, can't even feel gears shifting. So while I understand waiting (that's what I was going to do), I suspect I won't be sorry I didn't.
I'm waiting for the AWD part of the equation. BTW, congratulations.

cliffbig

Been here awhile...
Marietta, GA
iPad: It comes with the 'second PDI' after Hyundai is notified of the purchase/lease. Apparently there is a specific protocol to Equus delivery, different from the Gen. That takes place next Saturday. Also: Hyundai gives you a 3G (non-wifi) version of the iPad, with them paying for 1 year of AT&T data service. After that you're on your own (unless that changes).
Please let me know if this turns out to be correct. I got mine today (very handsome case that Hyundai has supplied with it, too), and it was 16gb WiFi only, no 3G and no data plan (and no option since it's WiFi only).

BacktoHyundaibychoice

Registered Member
Suburban Chicago
Please let me know if this turns out to be correct. I got mine today (very handsome case that Hyundai has supplied with it, too), and it was 16gb WiFi only, no 3G and no data plan (and no option since it's WiFi only).
Very interesting. I was told 3G/1Year in response to my "how likely are you going to need it in a wifi hot spot", thinking of a dash light or flat tire.
I certainly will let you know, I'm expecting to get it Saturday (but we'll see).

tonygxp

Been here awhile...
have to comment on the lack of the Equus owners that are willing to fill others in on their "purchase price" (before tax, tags & trade in figures, etc.) these forums are a place where you GIVE and take. the GIVE part is informing others so as they don't get ripped off. anyway i look up the Equus models on the bank of america car buying site and here's the rundown on what "it is"

click on "table" to the right
http://bankofamerica.zag.com/trueCarConsumerWidget.html?url=http://www.truecar.com/widgets/consumer/WebsiteWidget.swf&partnerId=bankofamerica&trimId=333536&zipcode=08721&options_msrp=0.0000&options_invoice=0.0000&total_incentives=0.0000&partnerName=Your Price&partnerPrice=56693.0000

$54,204 dealer cost
$1,704 holdback
$1,000 dealer only incentive
$589 regional ad fee (advertising, commercials, showroom, etc.)
$900 destination
$52,953 TRUE dealer cost, in other words NOBODY gets it below that. unless they played game son your trade (low-balled) . that cost is exactly what the dealer pays.

Factory Invoice is $54,204 + ad fee & Destination = $55,693 so if you paid $1,000 under at $54,693 dealer makes $1,740 ad you get to say you paid $1,000 under, air for both. exceptional is like $53,693 dealer only nets $740 (not going to be in business long with too many of those deals, but they will do some)

all those prices were BEFORE any customer factory rebates are APPLIED. so deduct factory rebates off these figures (so you don't think you made out better than you did)

Ultimate prices were as follows;

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.