Totally dead, won't start intermittent

RCaauwe

Hasn't posted much yet...
Every couple weeks I go out to start my 2009 Genesis, and find it dead. No dome light when door is opened, no headlights, no dash lights, no tail lights and no start. Totally dead. I jump start the car and everything works for a couple weeks with no problems. AAA checked the battery and said it is fine.
Is there a common connection somewhere that could be causing this? The battery terminals look clean and tight.

Fast55

Been here awhile...
If your battery has been totally dead even once, it is not "fine". Typical lead acid car batteries don't live with a complete discharge (especially more than once) and recover "fine", no way. They're made to give a big burst of power to start the car, and be kept at near full charge always. Deep cycle batteries are obviously different, but that's not what's in your car. It may have just went dead because it's finally getting old (I assume it's the original battery), and now it's all done. I would replace it to see if the issue goes away, but even if there is no parasitic loss from something, I would not let it sit for more than a week or so without starting it and giving the battery a quick charge. That, or consider a battery maintainer.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Modern batteries can suffer physical internal damage that has symptoms like you are reporting. This happens more often in the summer when the battery overheats. The battery can test fine on minute, but be dead the next minute. I would replace the battery.

kev4

Registered Member
Every couple weeks I go out to start my 2009 Genesis, and find it dead. No dome light when door is opened, no headlights, no dash lights, no tail lights and no start. Totally dead. I jump start the car and everything works for a couple weeks with no problems. AAA checked the battery and said it is fine.
Is there a common connection somewhere that could be causing this? The battery terminals look clean and tight.
I had same thing happen, had to replace the battery. They only last three to four years. If yours is indeed the original Battery the I suggest you replace it. Lordco 183$

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Also check the connections on the battery in the trunk. Make sure the negative (black) battery wire is tightly connected to the trunk floor. This is known to be a problem at times. I also agree that it is time for a new battery.

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
Sounds more like a loose wire. I'm having a similar issue with my Harley since I replaced the battery. So check both connections in the trunk and under the hood.

Factory batteries are slated to last 5 - 6 years. The one in my '04 Chevy truck lasted 8. The one in my Harley lasted 6. Neither one had a battery tender. And they would sit sometiems for a week or more. ;)

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
With the battery in the trunk, it won't see the heat like other cars with batteries in the engine compartment. So it should last more than the typical 3 years. This is a nice design feature for us southern folks (91F and sunny yesterday!).

JimInNashville

Registered Member
Had a similar problem twice in the past. Exact same symptoms, with two different vehicles. In each case, there was an internal short in the battery caused by a broken plate coming to rest in just the right position. Bingo, the battery discharges and is dead the next time you go to start.

In each case, the dealer claimed the battery "tested fine" numerous times (it will! Because once the plate is moved, the short no longer exists -- until the next time it happens). Finally, I demanded the dealer come to my house when the battery was dead and test it in my garage without moving it. (Moving it, or even jump starting, may eliminate the internal short until it happens again.)

Do yourself a favor. Spend 100 bucks and replace your battery. At the very least, you'll (a) have a new battery and (b) have eliminated one very likely cause of your symptoms. The price of a new battery is nothing compared to your waste of time, inconvenience, and potential hazardous situation.

RCaauwe

I got lucky..the failure appeared while having the oil changed at the Hyundai dealer. It turned out there was an internal short in the battery. It was exactly as described by JiminNashville (hope I got that right).

hgaff

I had...have the same issue, replaced the battery and still have power loss...It happens when I click the start button. All seems fine, step on brake, hit start, all power is lost and car goes dark. Reset the 50Amp fuse on battery and then starts.... any ideas on what the issue could be?

Vinnie B

Genesis Model Type
Car 2010 Genesis 4dr.
Just had similar situation most have described happened to me yesterday. Everything was fine parked in and store can you back everything dead, got jump start and work as normal until I got home and shut it off again. Then everything seemed normal until after stepping on a break and pushing stop button heard a crackle / pop and everything went dead. Since I was home this time I pulled out my voltmeter did some testing and found that the positive terminal has some corrosion between the post and the connector. Removed it cleaned it reinstalled no more trouble. ( fyi crackle/pop sound was spark between post and connector due to bad connection and high current draw of starter.)
VCB

Vinnie B

Genesis Model Type
I had...have the same issue, replaced the battery and still have power loss...It happens when I click the start button. All seems fine, step on brake, hit start, all power is lost and car goes dark. Reset the 50Amp fuse on battery and then starts.... any ideas on what the issue could be?
Good chance battery post need cleaning to provide fresh new contact surface.

ntp888@comcast.net

having same problem with my 09 genesis. my local guy did extensive test on why battery dies every day. found that it is one of two body control modules. there is a bulletin on this and either bcm b1602 and 1603 is bad. Anyone else have this problem. don't want to go to a stealer.

G-575410

I had the same problem where the CAR is just DEAD and wont start, the dealer changes the ground cable and still the problem occurs. The deals just gave up after making 20 attempts in 4 days and couldn't find any reason why that happens. All the parts looks good. Battery test case out to be well.
At this point i am confused how i can be sure the problem is fixed ??? What can i do ??

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.