• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TPMS - How To Create A Baseline Reading

addysdaddy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I could not find a way to create a "baseline" tire pressure on my G70. On my wife's GLC300, you cold fill the tires to the desired pressure and go into the pressure reading menu - where you then hit a "set" button to establish a baseline. Should the pressure drop 3-5 lbs or more from that mark, you get an alert. There doesn't seem to be a comparable function on the G70. The manual also doesn't say how many lbs it takes to trigger an alert. Can anyone clarify?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't think there is. On my Mitsubishi, a 4psi difference between tires will cause the TPMS to go off.

addysdaddy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So there is no way to create a baseline reading AND we don't know how much the pressure loss is before tripping the alert? Seems surprising for such a well thought out vehicle.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So there is no way to create a baseline reading AND we don't know how much the pressure loss is before tripping the alert? Seems surprising for such a well thought out vehicle.
No way to set a baseline. Pressure loss should be 4-5 lbs before alert but I don’t know that 100%. The default baseline is what is set for the load and available tires and can be found on the door. Since that was well thought out, I don’t think they want customers creating their own

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

addysdaddy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine trip at 29 psi on my last 3 cars. Setting a baseline would be OK if there was a minimum and you like to keep pressure at higher than the sticker. The government just says you have to be over a minimum pressure and they comply. I don't know what the exact spec is. If allowed to set a baseline low, someone will set it at whatever makes the light go out and never bother to add air.

Reality is, 98% of drivers have no idea what they should set as baseline so Genesis keeps cost down by not having it.
Well in a weird way I understand that logic - haha. Thanks for the explanation. Set my pressure to +1 over what's on the door.

nellie1289

Registered Member
Portland, Oregon
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On this topic my low pressure light came on today as I left outside and it was cold. 29psi. I drove around and it came back to 32 as it warmed up. But light won’t go out. So I filled all tires to cold 35. Right front light still on. Do I need to drive it farther. I did a hot lap around hood to see if it would go out. Now all tires are at 36 and light still on.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

addysdaddy

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
NHTSA regulations require the system to trigger if there is a 20% drop from recommended pressure or a difference of 20% between the lowest and highest readings of the 4 tires.

so at 36psi the system will trigger when any tire drops 7psi or there is a 7psi difference between the lowest and highest readings.
Good to know - thanks for that. I'm assuming the recommended pressure is what is written on the inside of the driver's door.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On this topic my low pressure light came on today as I left outside and it was cold. 29psi. I drove around and it came back to 32 as it warmed up. But light won’t go out. So I filled all tires to cold 35. Right front light still on. Do I need to drive it farther. I did a hot lap around hood to see if it would go out. Now all tires are at 36 and light still on.

Low pressure light still on today?

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

pmckechnie

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One thing that has not been brought up is the pressure change with the temperature goes up and down.
If you set your pressure at 36 psi and the temperature is 40 deg at 7:00 am, and you go to work and when you get home at 5:00 pm and the temperature is 80 deg, then your pressure in the tires is now 40 psi.

In other words, for every 10 deg of change , the temp will increase or decrease 1 psi.
So What should I set my tire pressure to?

One thing for sure, I am not going to change the tire pressure 2 or 3 times a day.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums