• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TPMS light, possible solution

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
Spoke to Hyundai service technician last night. TOld him about this problem with TPMS light having a mind of it's own. He wanted to clarify TPMS malfunction light versus low pressure tire warning. I said yes, amber TPMS light goes on and off randomly. He said 2 main causes he has found for this is window tint and those foil windshield sun visors cause interference. A small pressure sensor is located inside each wheel. The sensor has a built-in transponder that broadcasts a radio signal to an external module. The foil in the sunshades interferes with the signal from the wheel and causes signal interference, causing the light to become illuminated. I have both in my car. Since the tint aint coming out and it's ceramic, gonna try and remove the foil visor. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Pahaska

Registered Member
Austin, TX
I have the valve stem mounted TPMS sensors on my Airstream trailer with a receiver on the dashboard. I very occasionally get one or more sensors indicate no signal as I drive. The manufacturer rep told me that the signal bounces off the road and objects nearby the trailer to the receiver on my dashboard.

With this in mind, I have observed that the no signal episodes always occur on places like banked off-ramps where there is nothing nearby the sensors on one side. The signal always comes back within a short distance.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
The only window film that will effect the TPMS would be a metallic film. Dyed, Carbon, and Ceramic film will not cause any problems with the TPMS. This is why I warn people about this prior to tinting their vehicle. Some people don't mind the TPMS light on and will go with a metallic film anyway. I did an Altima with Metallic film and the TPMS light stays on. Also, have done an Accord and Pilot with TPMS's and the metallic film I installed has not caused the light to turn on.

Some TPMS's are more sensitive then others I guess. It even states in the Genesis owners manuel to avoid using Metallic window film.

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Tint, foil, ceramic, etc. These should all not be an issue.

The TPMS sensor is inside the wheel at the valve stem. A TPMS initiator is mounted in each wheel well. A TPMS receiver is also located on the bottom of the car. Unless you're hanging tin foil from the bottom of your car, none of that should impact the system (in theory).

www.hmaservice.com has got a pretty nice discussion of the whole system. Once logged on, go to the "Shop" section and select the Genesis as your vehicle, then drill down to "Suspension Systems" and then "Tire Pressure Monitoring System"

If you are getting a "TPMS" malfunction light (not the pressure low light) and have an OBDII code reader you can check for one of the 35 codes associated just with the TPMS to help fault isolate.

C1121 Sensor 1, Front Left SensorBatteryVoltage Low
C1122 Sensor 2, Front Right SensorBatteryVoltage Low
C1123 Sensor 3, Rear Left SensorBatteryVoltage Low
C1124 Sensor 4, Rear Right SensorBatteryVoltage Low
C1126 TPMS ECUBatteryVoltage Low
C1127 TPMS ECUBatteryVoltage High
C1660 Receiver Radio Frequency Circuit Failure
C1661 Receiver EEPROM Failure
C1664 Initiator/LF/RF Circuit Failure Not Affecting RSSI Level(High Line Only)
C1668 Internal failure detection
C1300 LF/RF External Interference Failure
C1306 RF Internal Interference Failure
C1312 Front Left Sensor RF Channel Failure
C1313 Front Right Sensor RF Channel Failure
C1314 Rear Left Sensor RF Channel Failure
C1315 Rear Right Sensor RF Channel Failure
C1322 Front Left Sensor Over Temperature
C1323 Front Right Sensor Over Temperature
C1324 Rear Left Sensor RF Channel Failure
C1325 Rear Right Sensor Over Temperature
C1332 Front Left Sensor Fault
C1333 Front Right Sensor Fault
C1334 Left Rear Sensor Fault
C1335 Rear Right Sensor Fault
C1345 Front Low Frequency Initiator Channel Failure
C1346 C1346 Rear Low Frequency Initiator Channel Failure
C2510 TREAD LAMP open/short circuit
C2512 Front Left LAMP open/short circuit
C2513 Front Right LAMP open/short circuit
C2514 Rear Left LAMP open/short circuit
C2515 Rear Right LAMP open/short circuit
C1665 Initiator supply circuit short to ground
C1666 Initiator supply circuit short to battery
C1212 First Speed Input Fault
C1240 Second Speed Input Fault

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
Ever since I put my winter tires and wheels on I have been getting TPMS lights on and off. My summer tires and wheels I had no problem with. I don't know whats wrong with them, but maybe I have a faulty stem or sensor somewhere?

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Are your winter wheels the same as your summer wheels? If it is a complete set of different wheels (I'm assuming from Hyundai for the Genny), then it could be a bad sensor. I've also read that sensors can be damaged by the equipment used to remove and install the tire.

If you can get to someplace withn OBDII code reader, like Autozone, you can probably pull a code, particularly if the TPMS malfunction light is still on, which should help to fault isolate. If summer tires/wheels are good but winter tire/wheels are bad, I'm getting it's a sensor issue.

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
Are your winter wheels the same as your summer wheels? If it is a complete set of different wheels (I'm assuming from Hyundai for the Genny), then it could be a bad sensor. I've also read that sensors can be damaged by the equipment used to remove and install the tire.

If you can get to someplace withn OBDII code reader, like Autozone, you can probably pull a code, particularly if the TPMS malfunction light is still on, which should help to fault isolate. If summer tires/wheels are good but winter tire/wheels are bad, I'm getting it's a sensor issue.
Thats what I'm thinking... I never thought about going to Autozone to check on the issue. Thanks for putting that thought in my head.

fungo45

Getting familiar with the group...
Chicago burbs
Looks like I'm reviving a very old thread!
I just got new tires on my 09 Genesis, and ever since they were put on the TPMS light goes off. I brought it back to the shop that installed them and they cleared the light. Of course, it came back on later in the day. I bought it back again and they are showing code C1314, which appears to be the back left sensor. They are showing with their scan tool that it's working and sending a signal. They are stumped and are suggesting that I take it to the dealer.

I don't have the time to do this right now, so I'm looking for suggestions on what I should tell the tire shop on how to correct this.

Thanks!

G-583311

I am having the exact same problem with my low mileage 2012 Sonata. I suspect it's an electrical problem in the car, as they have changed it three times.

Charley911

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I am having the same problem on my 2011 Genesis 4.6 and have been having the problem for years. Over ten times in the shop, only to have them reset the TPMS module and tell me that it is fixed. Always comes back on before I get home. I do have aftermarket 19 inch wheels on the car. This past week I decided to keep taking the car back until the issue was resolved. On the 4th trip to the dealer I was told that it was my aftermarket wheels causing the problem and the only way to fix the problem would be to go back to my OEM wheels and tires.

This does not make sense to me for multiple reasons:

1. I had the wheels on for over 3 years before I had the problem
2. Lots of people put on aftermarket wheels so it doesn't seem plausible for Hyundai to put on sensors that would not allow this.

I would love to hear from anyone with suggestions on how to resolve this.

JustAGuy

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am having the same problem on my 2011 Genesis 4.6 and have been having the problem for years. Over ten times in the shop, only to have them reset the TPMS module and tell me that it is fixed. Always comes back on before I get home. I do have aftermarket 19 inch wheels on the car. This past week I decided to keep taking the car back until the issue was resolved. On the 4th trip to the dealer I was told that it was my aftermarket wheels causing the problem and the only way to fix the problem would be to go back to my OEM wheels and tires.

2. Lots of people put on aftermarket wheels so it doesn't seem plausible for Hyundai to put on sensors that would not allow this.

I am now having the same

I also have a 2011 Genesis. My TPMS light is now coming on. Were you able to find a solution? Thanks

JustAGuy

Hasn't posted much yet...
I also have a 2011 Genesis. My TPMS light is now coming on. Were you able to find a solution? Thanks

LuvGenesis

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a tpms light on all of a sudden on stock oem wheels and tires. Hmm..
I am experiencing the same issue. I bought my 2009 Genesis this past February and the light started coming on this past Saturday. Each morning it's on, but when I start it up after work the light is off.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums