• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

TPMS with New Winter Tires & Wheels

talbertson

Hasn't posted much yet...
Man, talk about conflicting information! My search for information proves that you really can find anything on the internet. I wanted to share my experience with putting new snow tires with new wheels on my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 in the hopes it will help someone avoid wasted time and money.

The short story: I bought new wheels and snow tires with new TPM sensors installed in each wheel for my 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6. The TPMS system worked perfectly with no resets, no “wanding”, no trips to the dealer, no driving time, no error messages. My local tire shop just mounted the new wheels and the Tire Pressure Monitoring System worked with the new sensors in each wheel. I even let the pressure out of one tire (to 28 psi) to be sure the TPMS was working.

The long story: I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 in May of 2012 for $36,000 to replace my aging 2001 Mercedes E430. I live in Montana, so as winter approached, I started exploring my options for snow tires. I have liked the Michelin X-Ice series on my Mercedes bought at a reasonable price from CostCo. I haven’t liked the wear and tear on wheels and tires, and cost, for re-mounting twice a year, so I researched new wheels also.

I discovered the people and website at TireRack.com to be knowledgeable and helpful so with some trepidation, I purchased new tires and wheels from them. The trepidation was mainly due to buying something that could not be easily serviced at a distance if I had a problem. Turned out that TireRack.com was very helpful when one tire arrived at my house flat. They shipped a replacement immediately and sent me a kit to return the defective wheel with tire. TireRack arranged for UPS to pick up the defective tire at my home. Tires and wheels are shipped individually by normal UPS. The price at TireRack was less than at CostCo with better individual help and much better wheel selection and price.

Yes, I am impressed, and very happy with my experience at Tirerack.com.

I bought four 17x7.5 Elbrus I03 ADC ICE wheels @$126 each ($504).
225/55R-17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL tires @$165 each ($660)
TPMS 315-MHz Tire Pressure Sensor @$37 each ( $148)

… and some miscellaneous charges for a total of $1444.

I bought a 1” smaller wheel than OEM: 17” versus 18”. You can research why I did this at TireRack: http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126&. I also bought some very useful tire “totes” from TireRack that keep my car clean when transporting the tires and make the garage look cleaner and more organized.

One item I worried about was getting the new TPMS sensors to work. There was much conflicting information in blogs and TireRack was not sure either. I downloaded the Technical Service Bulletin from Hyundai and it was not clear. My dealer even told me that I would have to bring the car in for a charge of $60 every time I changed wheels (the TPMS sensors are attached inside of the wheel valve stem). My local tire guys told me my car model was not in their book so they did not try to “wand” the sensors.

Turned out the TPMS sensors just worked. Installed the new tires with new wheels and new sensors, and had no error messages and no problems. I even let the pressure out of one tire (to 28 psi) to be sure the TPMS was working. The system warned of low pressure in the proper tire, and the warning disappeared immediately after I re-inflated the tire.

My car is a 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 with TRW 52933-2F000 (315 Mhz) TPMS sensors.

TimeOut

Registered Member
Thanks for the info.

I'm planning to buy a new set of wheels & tires plus TPMs from tirerack and I was wondering if I needed to bring my car to my dealer to get it to recognize the new TPMs.

Southern Boy

Registered Member
Thanks for the info.

I'm planning to buy a new set of wheels & tires plus TPMs from tirerack and I was wondering if I needed to bring my car to my dealer to get it to recognize the new TPMs.
I purchased 18 inch wheels to replace the OEM 17's that came with my Genesis and purchased new TPMS rather than remove the ones from the OEM wheels. ECU recognized new TMPS and there were no issues.

tho5

Hasn't posted much yet...
Awesome! Appreciate your sharing the information. I was thinking of getting a tires and wheels package for my 2012 V6 from Tirerack as well. Actually called the dealer to see how much they would charge to initialize the TMPS. They quoted $110!

Southern Boy

Registered Member
Awesome! Appreciate your sharing the information. I was thinking of getting a tires and wheels package for my 2012 V6 from Tirerack as well. Actually called the dealer to see how much they would charge to initialize the TMPS. They quoted $110!
I hope that not $110 each? I got four new TMPS for $85 from these people.

Southwest Auto Parts
#3 East State Street
Lehi, Utah 84043
801-664-2514

Got kit containing stem nuts and valve for < $2.50 per wheel at Wal-Mart

shahhere

Getting familiar with the group...
Montgomeryville, PA area
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life but:
I have 2 sets of tires/wheels for winter and each winter after the swap the TPMS light stays on, not sure what I need to let Costco know as I bought the wheels with the TPMS sensors and would like them to work correctly.

Also on a side note the Costco price went up from $22 to $40 in my area for a swap 4/4.

Shahhere

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums