trade 2015 genesis ultimate for g70???

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am thinking about trading in my 2015 genesis ultimate 3.8 awd for a g70. Has anyone done so and what are your thoughts? Likes/dislikes?
thanks
Mike
We all have different needs, so, assess yours. The G70 is a great car with updated technology, good performance, many nice features.

Only downside for me is the trunk. I often carry a wheelchair and it is easy to get in and out of the G80 trunk. The 70 has a bit tighter back seat, but that is not a concern for me. If you often had adults in the back it may be for you. Definitely check out the 70 to see how it fits your situation.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Dayton, OH
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
We just got a G70 in. Great in all aspects. Sportier, lighter, more grunt. But that back seat man.... I don't think I could swing it. I'd go for the G80 Sport.

Your preference though. Looking for sporty? G70. Comfort? Genesis/G80. Overall? Your call.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
How eager are you to get rid of the G70? And do you have an interest in going with a smaller vehicle? I ask because the next generation G80 should be arriving in the KDM later this year, and in the US next year.

md1801

Registered Member
St. Louis, MO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am thinking about trading in my 2015 genesis ultimate 3.8 awd for a g70. Has anyone done so and what are your thoughts? Likes/dislikes?
thanks
Mike
I did it with a 2016 Ultimate 3.8 AWD, and moved to a G70 2.0T Elite and have absolutely no regrets. You will notice that the G70 is far more playful, and despite the smaller engine, I've found it to be equally adept at pushing me into the back my seat as needed when accelerating in my urban environment. One thing I will say is that the user-facing technology in the infotainment system, and the Bluetooth system are much more updated than the 2016 Genesis----the Bluetooth connection for example is far faster than I was accustomed to in the old car. The G70 is about a foot shorter than the Genesis/G80, and I believe that has been taken mostly from the rear legroom as I still find the trunk space adequate and the front leg-room very comfortable as well.

G-332765

I did it with a 2016 Ultimate 3.8 AWD, and moved to a G70 2.0T Elite and have absolutely no regrets. You will notice that the G70 is far more playful, and despite the smaller engine, I've found it to be equally adept at pushing me into the back my seat as needed when accelerating in my urban environment. One thing I will say is that the user-facing technology in the infotainment system, and the Bluetooth system are much more updated than the 2016 Genesis----the Bluetooth connection for example is far faster than I was accustomed to in the old car. The G70 is about a foot shorter than the Genesis/G80, and I believe that has been taken mostly from the rear legroom as I still find the trunk space adequate and the front leg-room very comfortable as well.
Thanks for the input

Hawaii 5ooohhhh

Registered Member
Hawaii
Genesis Model Type
Thanks for posting this. Was wondering the same things about the G70

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
thanks
Mike
I traded my 2016 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 for a 3,3T G70. They are completely two different cars. The G70 is smaller (way smaller) and faster (way faster). The G70 is more planted, nimble and fun to drive. The Genesis 3.8 is more comfortable with softer driving. Technology is almost the same but as expected is more updated and refined on the G70. You need to test drive for getting your own conclusions.

darkmagi2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I came from a 2015 3.8 RWD (sadly mine was totaled). And I am now in a 3.3T Elite, here are my takeaways:

1. Power - The 3.3T is an animal. It feels (and is) considerably faster than my 3.8 was. It will throw you back in your seat when you hit boost. I was given a 2.0T as a loaner while mine was tinted and it felt more on par with my 3.8. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't the same...

2. Handling - The G70 is FAR more nimble. I don't even have the adaptive suspension from the Sport trim, yet this thing hugs corners and has FAR less body roll than my 3.8. Makes it a lot more fun to drive. I feel like I can do so much more.

3. Comfort - All that handling in the G70 is almost assuredly due to the smaller frame. As far as comfort goes, I'm pretty tall (6'2) and while I don't feel "cramped" in the G70, it's noticeably smaller inside. The center console is smaller too. And I cannot stress this enough, the backseats are HORRENDOUS. In my normal driving position (which is fairly far back, tall guy remember) the seat behind me is basically useless. I tried to show my car off to my parents, and my mom could not fit behind me unless I moved forward. Also that better handling comes from a stiffer suspension in the G70 meaning you will have an overall less "comfortable" ride. Still smooth as silk in my opinion, but maybe not AS smooth,

4. Technology - my 3.8 had the technology package, so I didn't really gain much in the sense of technology moving to the G70. I did gain a wireless charging pad (at the expense of losing a 12v outlet). The Lane Keep Assist seems to have an additional "layer" of assist where it will preemptively steer into turns for you essentially driving itself, however you still need to keep your hands on the wheel. The Infotainment system is pretty much exactly the same although noticeably updated. Drive selector on the automatics is one of the new "electronic" ones, which took some getting used to. But it's very nice being able to arrive somewhere and just shut the car off and have it automatically switch into park.

I should note, that the higher trims offer some more new technology such as a HUD and 360 view backup camera.

5. Luxury - The G70 is luxurious for sure, but sadly coming from the 3.8 w/ Tech package, I didn't gain anything and instead really only lost some things. The G70 does not have a panoramic sun roof. My trim does include a "larger" sun roof which is wider than the standard one. But it's not the same at all, and the wow effect of opening up that screen to show the nearly all glass roof will be missed. Speaking of screens, the G70 also does not have any sunscreens in the rear (manual OR automatic). My 3.8 had manual on the passenger doors and automatic on the rear. I don't mean this to be a dig on the G70, I just think they are different cars. The 3.8 was leaning more towards luxury sedan where as the G70 is leaning more towards luxury sport.

Tried to go as detailed as possible here, if you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask. Honestly I think you will love the G70 unless you intend to carry passengers in the rears seats with any consistency. If you do, I would suggest bumping up to the G80. I don't know how fast the new 5.0's are, but you can get it in the 3.3T Trim as well. Won't be as fast or as nimble as the G70, but I imagine it's still quick. You could also get the 3.8 and it's the same car you have now just newer :p

Mike B

Registered Member
I came from a 2015 3.8 RWD (sadly mine was totaled). And I am now in a 3.3T Elite, here are my takeaways:

1. Power - The 3.3T is an animal. It feels (and is) considerably faster than my 3.8 was. It will throw you back in your seat when you hit boost. I was given a 2.0T as a loaner while mine was tinted and it felt more on par with my 3.8. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't the same...

2. Handling - The G70 is FAR more nimble. I don't even have the adaptive suspension from the Sport trim, yet this thing hugs corners and has FAR less body roll than my 3.8. Makes it a lot more fun to drive. I feel like I can do so much more.

3. Comfort - All that handling in the G70 is almost assuredly due to the smaller frame. As far as comfort goes, I'm pretty tall (6'2) and while I don't feel "cramped" in the G70, it's noticeably smaller inside. The center console is smaller too. And I cannot stress this enough, the backseats are HORRENDOUS. In my normal driving position (which is fairly far back, tall guy remember) the seat behind me is basically useless. I tried to show my car off to my parents, and my mom could not fit behind me unless I moved forward. Also that better handling comes from a stiffer suspension in the G70 meaning you will have an overall less "comfortable" ride. Still smooth as silk in my opinion, but maybe not AS smooth,

4. Technology - my 3.8 had the technology package, so I didn't really gain much in the sense of technology moving to the G70. I did gain a wireless charging pad (at the expense of losing a 12v outlet). The Lane Keep Assist seems to have an additional "layer" of assist where it will preemptively steer into turns for you essentially driving itself, however you still need to keep your hands on the wheel. The Infotainment system is pretty much exactly the same although noticeably updated. Drive selector on the automatics is one of the new "electronic" ones, which took some getting used to. But it's very nice being able to arrive somewhere and just the car off and have it automatically switch into park.

I should note, that the higher trims offer some more new technology such as a HUD and 360 view backup camera.

5. Luxury - The G70 is luxurious for sure, but sadly coming from the 3.8 w/ Tech package, I didn't gain anything and instead really only lost some things. The G70 does not have a panoramic sun roof. My trim does include a "larger" sun roof which is wider than the standard one. But it's not the same at all, and the wow effect of opening up that screen to show the nearly all glass roof will be missed. Speaking of screens, the G70 also does not have any sunscreens in the rear (manual OR automatic). My 3.8 had manual on the passenger doors and automatic on the rear. I don't mean this to be a dig on the G70, I just think they are different cars. The 3.8 was leaning more towards luxury sedan where as the G70 is leaning more towards luxury sport.

Tried to go as detailed as possible here, if you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask. Honestly I think you will love the G70 unless you intend to carry passengers in the rears seats with any consistency. If you do, I would suggest bumping up to the G80. I don't know how fast the new 5.0's are, but you can get it in the 3.3T Trim as well. Won't be as fast or as nimble as the G70, but I imagine it's still quick. You could also get the 3.8 and it's the same car you have now just newer :p
that was quite helpful, thank you

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a 2016 Genesis 3.8 Tech Package too and i agree with everything posted by @darkmagi2.
Test drive one with the HUD--it is (IMO), worth moving to a trim that offers it.
I got the G70 3.3t Prestige that has the HUD, this thing is freaking awesome.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
I traded in my 2015 Empire Gray Genesis Ultimate AWD with great reluctance and thought. These are the reasons. It‘s given me great service. It was a true long distance luxury car. It was a pleasure to drive to Florida 3 times. It was supremely quite, living room comfortable, smooth riding and with a really good media and NAV system. It was never in the repair shop except for maintenance and recall items. Had for it for four years. It was my second Genesis. I had a 2011 before it. When I first researched the car it also had the same excitement as the G70 has now and it was well deserved. Yes it was a hard call but like that car this car generated so much excitement also that I had to see if it was justified and you know what it was. Of course this wasn’t anything like my Ultimate. It is a real driver’s car. Not only was it easy on the eyes it could back up the hype. I knew what I’d be giving up a pure luxury car as opposed to a luxury sport car. Do I regret it…no the new one is so much fun to drive as to make the transition easy. Of course things like family requirements will and should influence your decision but if that’s a factor don’t test drive the G70 and try the new G80. A drive in the G70 is quite addicting as I can attest to.

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
If OP is in no hurry and needs the room/space of the G80, would suggest just waiting for the next gen G80.

Should be a good bit sportier than the current G80, as well as being a good bit more luxurious.

nellie1289

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
All these reviews are dead on the money correct. I went from a 2016 3.8 ultimate to 3.3t g70. I do miss the larger trunk and large cushy long trip ride of bigger car. But the g70 runs like a scolded ape. So fast. It blew me away and still does 1000 miles in. Great car. Both have typical genesis quality and similar features. But they drive totally different.