• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Transmission fix attempt - this didn't go as planned. Help, please...

Ghettosled

Registered Member
Lakewood, Ohio
Quick background, my 2013 Genesis 3.8 sedan had a transmission issue at about 60k miles. Delay in shifting from 2-3 and 4-5 like it was in neutral for 1-2 seconds.
New transmission installed under warranty. Fast forward to now and with 118k miles, same problem started (but intermittent). Brought it to dealer and they didn't find any trouble codes, nor felt the issue. I found a TSB online that touches on this issue - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160100-9999.pdf Spoke with the dealer about this, and was informed they don't repair transmissions, only replace. They can pull codes to help diagnose what the fault is, but that's it. They reflashed the transmission and sent me on my way. Problem persist, so I though why not attempt the repair myself. I've rebuilt a couple of engines, how difficult can this be? lol.

Order a new R35 shift solenoid, thinking this was the culprit when trying to shift into these gears - about $100. Orders 10 quarts of the Hyundai SP-IV-RR trans fluid (at $17/quart). Ended up needing an additional 3 more quarts. More on that in a bit.

Disconnect the battery. Removed the plastic belly pan, cracked open the fill and overflow ports. (pro tip - always remove the fill openings first. Better to find out the are stuck in place now rather than after all fluids have drained out.). Then drained the trans pan.

IMG_5763.JPG

Disconnect wiring and remove trans pan. It has a rubber seal, so it came off easily and cleanly.

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

The 10 bots (8 at one end, 2 on the other) come out to remove the solenoid assembly. Note, the 3 black bolts removed are a different length than the silver.
The rubber o-rings where the wiring goes through the case was hanging up and needed to be coaxed a bit to slide out.

IMG_5777.JPG

More fluid came out when this was removed. Here is the assembly on the table. (This is the top-down view.)

IMG_5782.JPG

The connector is just the attachment for the wiring connector, to the cable ribbon. In this photo, you can see it lifted a bit during removal. Everything looks to be flexible and plastic hooks to assemble, so I snapped it back down.

IMG_5779.JPG

Really odd part, you can see a bit of the ribbon leading to a plug (one tine is showing). In the TSB, there should be a wire from this to the fluid pressure switch. This was not on my transmission. 8 bolts then come out so the E-Module can be removed. The series of connectors on each side will pop out to disconnect.

IMG_5783.JPG

Remove the bracket that keeps the pins in place, and remove the pin with a magnet for the suspect solenoid.

IMG_5786.JPG

Old solenoid slides out and new one slides in.

IMG_5791.JPG

Then reassemble in reverse order. Once the gasket mating surfaces are clean, only parts to be cognizant of is to made sure the black rubber o-rings are still in place, line up the lever to the valve when the solenoid goes back into the transmission.

IMG_5795.JPG

Once everything was back together, filled the trans with enough fluid to stream out the hole. Turned car on and kept filling. I had to fill quickly, because when I switched from one quart to the next (hand pumping fluid in), it would start to get a little louder until there was more fluid. Did this until fluid streamed out the overflow hole. Closed it all up.

I was so proud of myself until I realized the check engine light was now on. I plugged in my $35 code reader and it didn't pick up any codes (probably not if transmission fault). Oh well, I ignore the light and take the car out for a test drive. The car SLAMMED into reverse. Whoa, that's not normal. I've changed trans fluids before on other vehicles and thought fluid needed to be worked around, so I shifted between D and R a couple of times. Every time I shifted into D or R, it SLAMS into hear. I take the car out for a drive. It's stuck in 5th gear, even from a standstill. Almost like it slips the clutch to get the car going and doesn't do any shifting. Won't go higher either. Using the 'manual mode' shift indicates only 5th gear. Cannot manually change to any other gear.

Thinking it sees a new solenoid and the ECU and/or TCU needs to be reset, I tried different ways to reset. Unplugged battery for 15 minutes, then 2 hours, then 24 hours. Nope. Pulling the ECU fuses (and TCU) for 20 minutes while the battery wasn't connected didn't do anything. It has to be keeping the parameters somewhere, as my radio stations didn't reset either the entire time.

Looking for the magic un-do button so the car would be drivable, I decided to reinstall the original solenoid. After all was said and done (including attempts to reset ECU), the car still slams into R and D, and will only use 5th gear.

I have an appointment scheduled with Hyundai, but that is 3 weeks away. I have a backup car to use so it's not like I will do any (further) damage.

Any ideas on where I went wrong? This was a fairly simple task. I double checked the transmission fluid and the level is proper.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I know its a lot of work but I would put the old solenoid back in and see what happens.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
I know its a lot of work but I would put the old solenoid back in and see what happens.
Looking for the magic un-do button so the car would be drivable, I decided to reinstall the original solenoid. After all was said and done (including attempts to reset ECU), the car still slams into R and D, and will only use 5th gear.
?

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
From what I've read here that just about anytime anyone replaces or flushes the transmission fluid it creates a problem.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
From what I've read here that just about anytime anyone replaces or flushes the transmission fluid it creates a problem.
Only those that have problems, tend to post here about it. I haven't posted about it, but I've had several full fluid exchanges (other brands, but including a Cadenza), and no problems from it. Many times people go to get the fluid changed because they are having problems. You get the fluid changed when you are having no problems, because you want to keep it that way.
Anyhow, his problem does not seem to be fluid related. I think he broke (very easy to do) the flat-flex to the pressure sensor.

Ghettosled

Registered Member
Lakewood, Ohio
I too think it's a physical issue. Like the ECU didn't like the new solenoid or when I was filling up the case with trans fluid, it measured low and went into limp mode.

Anyhow, his problem does not seem to be fluid related. I think he broke (very easy to do) the flat-flex to the pressure sensor.
That's the strange part, the TSB pictured a wire to the pressure sensor. Mine didn't have anything. There aren't many pieces, and it's not not like it fell off while I removed the assembly. I removed the solenoid assembly and put it on the table and took this photo. That wire was never present in my transmission?
From TSB:
pressure switch wire.JPG
My trans:
pressure switch no wire.JPG

Here is a photo from when I just removed the pan (first time). Circled is the open connector where the wire would go.

where wire would be.JPG

I don't think I could have damaged the modulator section. I could go back and take it all apart, but it only looks like a black plastic case and it's only purpose is to connect all solenoids to the connector via a flat/flexible ribbon cable. I peaked inside to see if anything could have gotten damaged from removal, but there really isn't anything other than the cable (which would only get damaged by folding, melting, pinching, tearing...).

Any ideas on how to rest the transmission control unit? I appreciate the help and ideas so far. Thank you. Any idea/theory/perspective is welcome.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
That's the strange part, the TSB pictured a wire to the pressure sensor. Mine didn't have anything. There aren't many pieces, and it's not not like it fell off while I removed the assembly. I removed the solenoid assembly and put it on the table and took this photo. That wire was never present in my transmission?
From TSB:
View attachment 42643

Just a guess, but I think this is going to be important in your case since your trans was previously replaced. Hopefully whatever the dealer did previously to your car did not over-write or delete the update from TSB 14-AT-001:
1641914022439.png

And yeah the 5th gear only condition sounds like you're stuck in a diagnostic/limp mode and need someone with a hyundai GDS to pull that code and diagnose from there. Hopefully you only need to reset the TCU. Might not have to be the dealer. Probably a long shot, but you could ask around to see if local transmission repair shops can do it. Might have a better chance at getting out of this down a few hondos instead of a few Gs, since the hyundai mechanics aren't trained in trans repair & troubleshooting, only replacement.

Edit: attached TSB 14-AT-001.

Attachments

• SB-10060954-2273[1].pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ghettosled

Registered Member
Lakewood, Ohio
Thank you BadTrainDriver (though your name has be concerned) and GunKK. I am heeding your advice and taking to a local transmission shop, probably middle of next week. Owner verified he can access the diagnostics on a Hyundai Genesis said to stop by so the computer can be scanned, then we can go from there. I can already hear him cringe when I tell him I attempted a self-diagnosed repair. lol.

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Only those that have problems, tend to post here about it. I haven't posted about it, but I've had several full fluid exchanges (other brands, but including a Cadenza), and no problems from it. Many times people go to get the fluid changed because they are having problems. You get the fluid changed when you are having no problems, because you want to keep it that way.
My bad I missed that. I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix for the op.

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I did a fluid change on my wife's car about 10k ago. No issues at all.

RemyBluePearl

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Quick background, my 2013 Genesis 3.8 sedan had a transmission issue at about 60k miles. Delay in shifting from 2-3 and 4-5 like it was in neutral for 1-2 seconds.
New transmission installed under warranty. Fast forward to now and with 118k miles, same problem started (but intermittent). Brought it to dealer and they didn't find any trouble codes, nor felt the issue. I found a TSB online that touches on this issue - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160100-9999.pdf Spoke with the dealer about this, and was informed they don't repair transmissions, only replace. They can pull codes to help diagnose what the fault is, but that's it. They reflashed the transmission and sent me on my way. Problem persist, so I though why not attempt the repair myself. I've rebuilt a couple of engines, how difficult can this be? lol.

Order a new R35 shift solenoid, thinking this was the culprit when trying to shift into these gears - about $100. Orders 10 quarts of the Hyundai SP-IV-RR trans fluid (at $17/quart). Ended up needing an additional 3 more quarts. More on that in a bit.

Disconnect the battery. Removed the plastic belly pan, cracked open the fill and overflow ports. (pro tip - always remove the fill openings first. Better to find out the are stuck in place now rather than after all fluids have drained out.). Then drained the trans pan.

View attachment 42609

Disconnect wiring and remove trans pan. It has a rubber seal, so it came off easily and cleanly.

View attachment 42610

View attachment 42611

The 10 bots (8 at one end, 2 on the other) come out to remove the solenoid assembly. Note, the 3 black bolts removed are a different length than the silver.
The rubber o-rings where the wiring goes through the case was hanging up and needed to be coaxed a bit to slide out.

View attachment 42612

More fluid came out when this was removed. Here is the assembly on the table. (This is the top-down view.)

View attachment 42613

The connector is just the attachment for the wiring connector, to the cable ribbon. In this photo, you can see it lifted a bit during removal. Everything looks to be flexible and plastic hooks to assemble, so I snapped it back down.

View attachment 42615

Really odd part, you can see a bit of the ribbon leading to a plug (one tine is showing). In the TSB, there should be a wire from this to the fluid pressure switch. This was not on my transmission. 8 bolts then come out so the E-Module can be removed. The series of connectors on each side will pop out to disconnect.

View attachment 42616

Remove the bracket that keeps the pins in place, and remove the pin with a magnet for the suspect solenoid.

View attachment 42617

Old solenoid slides out and new one slides in.

View attachment 42618

Then reassemble in reverse order. Once the gasket mating surfaces are clean, only parts to be cognizant of is to made sure the black rubber o-rings are still in place, line up the lever to the valve when the solenoid goes back into the transmission.

View attachment 42619

Once everything was back together, filled the trans with enough fluid to stream out the hole. Turned car on and kept filling. I had to fill quickly, because when I switched from one quart to the next (hand pumping fluid in), it would start to get a little louder until there was more fluid. Did this until fluid streamed out the overflow hole. Closed it all up.

I was so proud of myself until I realized the check engine light was now on. I plugged in my $35 code reader and it didn't pick up any codes (probably not if transmission fault). Oh well, I ignore the light and take the car out for a test drive. The car SLAMMED into reverse. Whoa, that's not normal. I've changed trans fluids before on other vehicles and thought fluid needed to be worked around, so I shifted between D and R a couple of times. Every time I shifted into D or R, it SLAMS into hear. I take the car out for a drive. It's stuck in 5th gear, even from a standstill. Almost like it slips the clutch to get the car going and doesn't do any shifting. Won't go higher either. Using the 'manual mode' shift indicates only 5th gear. Cannot manually change to any other gear.

Thinking it sees a new solenoid and the ECU and/or TCU needs to be reset, I tried different ways to reset. Unplugged battery for 15 minutes, then 2 hours, then 24 hours. Nope. Pulling the ECU fuses (and TCU) for 20 minutes while the battery wasn't connected didn't do anything. It has to be keeping the parameters somewhere, as my radio stations didn't reset either the entire time.

I have an appointment scheduled with Hyundai, but that is 3 weeks away. I have a backup car to use so it's not like I will do any (further) damage.

Any ideas on where I went wrong? This was a fairly simple task. I double checked the transmission fluid and the level is proper.
You have a lot going on but detailed which is nice. Same problem with transmission for me so I had a trusted mechanic swap out all solenoids so I didn’t have to guess which were bad and bought a new pan that comes with a filter and did a tranny flush with new liquid and haven’t had a bad shift or hiccup in a year and a half. Parts and labor cost me like $1,500

jeb1996

Genesis Model Type
I still don't understand why Hyundai wont replace these transmissions for free if they know that this is a common issue. Kind of ridiculous if this is a factory defect.

Ghettosled

Registered Member
Lakewood, Ohio
Local shop scanned the car and 2 codes came up - P0758 and P2709. Electrical circuit either open or short. The shop was kind enough to also supply repair guides (attached). They reset the computer but the codes came right back. I'm betting this has to be from when the connector hung up in the case when the solenoid assembly was removed. I looked in the e-module as best I could to inspect the connector to the ribbon and all looked fine/intact, but maybe it got damaged on removal. In retrospect, I should tested all the wires with a volt meter to ensure all were connected fine. At this point, I don't want to take it all apart (for a third time) just to see what this problem is, and potentially not fix the original shift issue, so I am having them do the (hopeful) repair. Fingers crossed, for the repair and my wallet!

Attachments

• genesis.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • genesis2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Husam

Registered Member
Any update on your issue with your Genesis?
I have a stupid rough shift from 4th to 5th gear when ATF is cold but it's annoying at times.

For the record, I replaced all solenoids and did ATF flush and updated TCM software etc etc. Still suffering from this rough shift.

Thank you,
Husam

Teleman

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
The code indicates a hard code, if it comes back right away. I don't know what Genisis calls it but the conductor plate could be bad (Plastic piece that attaches to the solenoids, Ford calls it a lead frame) Also if you replaced a solenoid it might need to be programed into the computer, not sure how its set up. The codes you gave indicate a open which means the computer cannot see the solenoid on startup. A generic scanner might not be able to clear the codes you will only be able to get into the PCM not the TCM unless you have a bidirectional scanner which usually can get into those areas.

1st post sorry if i overstepped myself just bought a GV70. 40 years fixing automobiles 20 in dealers, 20 owing my own shop. Lot of it dealing with Automatic Transmissions

Ghettosled

Registered Member
Lakewood, Ohio
I received my car back after just over 2 weeks in the shop (we had a couple of snow storms that delayed parts).
The harness was causing the communication issue so was replaced, and they tested the valve assembly which was causing the shift delay, so that was also replaced. $600 was the final bill.

Coincidentally, my rear view camera which hasn't worked for the last year is now working again. Strange. But it's good to have my car driving again after 2 months.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
I had the transmission fluid drained and filled at the dealer around 85000 miles give or take. When the fluid is cool it will still basically slip if I floor it going say 30mph. It basically revs high and wont shift unless I let off the gas. This only happens when it is cool. I can do the same thing 5 minutes later and it hooks up and hauls ass...I dont know. Basically I drive it easy until the engine is full temp as it shifts like butter normally (just dont floor it when cold!) That is a good idea with any vehicle unless you are an electric person