Transmission fluid change info on 2016 Genesis sedan

Ragnar

Been here awhile...
Hi there folk,new member here in Az.
My first question!
Curious as to what the recommended mileage for changing the transmission fluid is,saw several comments on dealers telling customers they needed to have this service at 3700 miles which sounds way to early but with the Genny having a 8 speed tranny wished to clarify!!
Noticed that oddly enough on looking at the owners manual service intervals that there no mention of transmission fluid changes made!

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Per the manual (Section 7-25 page 407) it states for normal driving conditions the Automatic Transmission Fluid should not be checked. Under severe driving conditions it should be replaced every 60,000 miles (noted on Section 7-22 page 404). Hope this helps. Time to look for a new dealer as they are trying to gouge your wallet.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
7500 mile interval for oil changes, except 3750 miles if most of your driving is under severe driving conditions (or if the dealer needs more cash to make the payment on his vacation home).

Under normal conditions, due to the special synthetic in the semi-sealed transmission, it does not need to be changed, unless you are towing, using the car as a taxi in city driving, or if the transmission is submerged in water.

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
Have to take issue with that last sentence, Mark. ALL lubricants - even the most exotic and expensive synthetics - suffer from viscosity breakdown over time, and should by every measure be replaced - even if only ever used under normal or light load.

When I had my Azera, I changed out only 5 of the 11 quarts of the "lifetime trans fluid" at 60,000 miles. The difference in performance, engine effort, smoothness, noise and shifting was night and day. Felt like a whole new car. My G2 will be getting changed by me at home at 50k if not earlier, and while not required maintenance - I would certainly recommend it, especially if you are looking to keep the car long-term.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Have to take issue with that last sentence, Mark. ALL lubricants - even the most exotic and expensive synthetics - suffer from viscosity breakdown over time, and should by every measure be replaced - even if only ever used under normal or light load.

When I had my Azera, I changed out only 5 of the 11 quarts of the "lifetime trans fluid" at 60,000 miles. The difference in performance, engine effort, smoothness, noise and shifting was night and day. Felt like a whole new car. My G2 will be getting changed by me at home at 50k if not earlier, and while not required maintenance - I would certainly recommend it, especially if you are looking to keep the car long-term.
The information I provided was from the Hyundai owner's manual. I have no personal opinion about it.

I don't believe the Azera transmission is the same as the Genesis.

hokie1525

Registered Member
So is the recommendation of "lifetime transmission fluid" a way to get your transmission to fail so you have to buy a new one, or a new car? I don't know which advice to follow.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
So is the recommendation of "lifetime transmission fluid" a way to get your transmission to fail so you have to buy a new one, or a new car? I don't know which advice to follow.
The warranty on the drivetrain (engine, transmission and drive shaft) is 100K miles or 10 years (whichever comes first) if you are the original owner or if a used car is a CPO. That might be a good time to change the fluid.

Expect to pay about $500 for the transmission fluid change at a dealer. If you try and have someone else besides a Hyundai dealer change it, most likely you will seriously regret your decision. Don't say I didn't warn you.

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
The answer? "Yes"

Either way. I guess ideally - a new car. More profit margin for the mfg and dealer that way. But - more profit for a trans shop (or god forbid a dealer shop) to replace/rebuild the trans.

Expect to pay about $500 for the transmission fluid change at a dealer. If you try and have someone else besides a Hyundai dealer change it, most likely you will seriously regret your decision. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Unlikely at all if done by a remotely competent mechanic, and fairly unlikely if you do it yourself. It's just a fluid change. it is not rocket science. It is fairly easy to do - requiring only a few hours of your time, 2 screwdrivers, a wrench, fluid and a manual evacuator. I did the Azera very easily and other than the drain/fill bolts being in a different location on the Genesis - the process and the fluid are exactly the same. See thread:

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=17129&

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Either way. I guess ideally - a new car. More profit margin for the mfg and dealer that way. But - more profit for a trans shop (or god forbid a dealer shop) to replace/rebuild the trans..
Having been on this forum for a very long time, I have seen very few problems with the various Genesis transmissions (ZF, Asin, Hyundai) other than the 2012 Hyundai 8-speed in its first year of production.

Unlikely at all if done by a remotely competent mechanic, and fairly unlikely if you do it yourself. It's just a fluid change. it is not rocket science. It is fairly easy to do - requiring only a few hours of your time, 2 screwdrivers, a wrench, fluid and a manual evacuator. I did the Azera very easily and other than the drain/fill bolts being in a different location on the Genesis - the process and the fluid are exactly the same. See thread:

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=17129&
You admitted in the thread above that the drain plug only drains 5 of the 11 quarts. Not everyone has a evacuator. The fluid alone costs about $300. It's not meant to be a DIY job, so the average mechanic might not do it correctly.

Last edited:

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA

I totally agree. I have had the transmission fluid changed in my 2011 Genesis about every 60,000 miles. The car has 193,000 miles on it now and the Transmission still performs like new.

armstsho2015

Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
Having been on this forum for a very long time, I have seen very few problems with the various Genesis transmissions (ZF, Asin, Hyundai) other than the 2012 Hyundai 8-speed in its first year of production.

You admitted in the thread above that the drain plug only drains 5 of the 11 quarts. Not everyone has a evacuator. The fluid alone costs about $300. It's not meant to be a DIY job, so the average mechanic might not do it correctly.
Try some Amsoil transmission fluid to save on the OEM fluid price.
OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

armstsho2015

Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
The page on it says it meets "Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR " specifications.
They have 2 different fluids for it. The one I pointed to was the cheaper one.
The other one is longer life but costs more.
If I could drain it myself I would probably try the better one.

The 60000 mile change is for "severe service".
I think it's a good way to prolong your transmission life to do it earlier than 100K.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
If the fluid covers SP-IV RR then it "should" be compatible to the OEM fluid. I personally would just change the fluid every 60k or wait until about every 80k to change both the filter/pan and fluid if you are planning on owning the car past 100k miles

I personally will change my filter/pan and fluid every 80k miles since the transmission fluid filter is built into the plastic transmission pan. The pan/filter cost about $120 and 8 quarts of Revenol SP-IV RR fluid cost me $80 online. I already bought the fluid, just waiting for my car to reach 80k so that I can just change the filter as well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.