Transmission, Front and Rear Diff Fluid Changed

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
G70 2.0T Auto AWD (2019)
~52K KM.
Canada

Drained and refilled ATF, Front and Read diff oils. Replaced with Amsoil OE ATF and Long life gear oil.
Amsoil - because it was the cheapest oil I could find that is compatible with the recommended SP-IV-RR - $9.40 (CAD) per qt. vs $25 (CAD) per qt. for the Hyundai stuff at the dealer. Amsoil also delivered the oil to my door no charge.

ATF was 4 shades darker than the Amsoil, shimmering under light. ~3.5 qt. drained and took ~4 qt. back!!
Filter is built into the pan. Dealer quoted $365 + tax for the it and said it has to be ordered from Korea! Skipped for now.
Front and rear diffs, metal shavings visible (pic). Some were almost 5mm long!!

As for the process - pretty straight forward. The transmission drain and level check plugs take O-rings. The fill plug has an Al-washer, Both drain and fill plugs of the diffs take copper washers. Used an IR thermometer for ATF temp measurements during filling.

What about transfer case? - Although oil type and quantity is mentioned, manual says no drain, fill or level check bolts, in case a code related to oil appears - replace transfer case!!!

No change in performance / feel / shifts / sound / noise during the test drive :p. Will post if any change in the long run.

Attachments

• 20190907_204638.jpg
    20190907_204638.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190907_204738.jpg
    20190907_204738.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190907_204638 (Large).jpg
    20190907_204638 (Large).jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190907_204738 (Large).jpg
    20190907_204738 (Large).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 54

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I changed my ATF as well and noticed the occasional tiny metallic bits in the old fluid. Not nearly as much as you're seeing in your differential fluid, though. Anyway, I ended up getting the OEM Hyundai ATF, though. Wasn't cheap!

Same experience as you - no noticeable difference in shifting. I figure that is a good thing (ie I didn't break it!).

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I changed my ATF as well and noticed the occasional tiny metallic bits in the old fluid. Not nearly as much as you're seeing in your differential fluid, though. Anyway, I ended up getting the OEM Hyundai ATF, though. Wasn't cheap!

Same experience as you - no noticeable difference in shifting. I figure that is a good thing (ie I didn't break it!).

Could you please let me know what did you use to monitor temps while adjusting level?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you please let me know what did you use to monitor temps while adjusting level?

I didn't use anything. Just drained, measure the exact amount drained, and refilled with the exact same amount. I think it has a total capacity of 10 liters, but I think i had very similar levels drained/filled as you, so there is still a substantial amount of ATF that is original.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't use anything. Just drained, measure the exact amount drained, and refilled with the exact same amount. I think it has a total capacity of 10 liters, but I think i had very similar levels drained/filled as you, so there is still a substantial amount of ATF that is original.

Thank you for the reply. I wanted to go as per the manual, did a bit of research on the scan tools...no luck...either too expensive (Autel Maxisys) or unobtanium (Dealer level stuff).

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did another drain and fill on transmission, front and rear differentials today.
~87k kms.

For the transmission, I went with the official Hyundai SP-IV-RR this time - 4 quarts drained and filled. Expensive fluid ~$26 CAD at the dealer. The color of the fluid drained was dark, but still good. For the drain and fill o-rings, I used silicone ones this time.

The differentials - still had some metal shavings, but not as much as the last time. The front diff fill plug was a b*&ch to break loose - probably galvanic corrosion with all the salt. Had to use some heat to get it out. Filled up with Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90 (The one that was available locally at Canadian Tire)

Did a short test drive - once again, no change in any feel / performance / shifts. The car feels like before.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 18

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
T
HOW OFTEN SHOULD DIFF FLUID BE REPLACED??? ON 2019 GENESIS G70 AWD 3.3

As per the owner's manual - replace both every 120k kms (72k miles) severe usage conditions (60k kms (36k miles) for the LSD)

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
$26 for Hyundai ATF? Which dealership is this? The two Hyundai's near me are charging $35 and $40 per litre.

Also what kind of plugs are the drain, fill, and level? Size and type wise, I'm planning to do a drain and fill as well soon. Couldn't find info on the size of plugs they were though.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
$26 for Hyundai ATF? Which dealership is this? The two Hyundai's near me are charging $35 and $40 per litre.

Also what kind of plugs are the drain, fill, and level? Size and type wise, I'm planning to do a drain and fill as well soon. Couldn't find info on the size of plugs they were though.
This was at "Finch Hyundai" in London, ON.

I had used Amsoil "OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid" in my previous drain and fill as I was unsure how much fluid I would be replacing. That is a much cheaper fluid and I had no issues with it.

The drain, level check bolts need an Allen key to remove them and have a o-ring that the manual says to replace every time they are removed. Could not find a part number for the o-ring. I guess any generic one that matches the size will do.
The fill plug however has a aluminium crush washer.

I presume you have the service manual, if you are attempting the drain and fill. If you have any questions let me know. I'll do the best I can.

Attachments

• Drain and Level.jpg
    Drain and Level.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 2

kw012

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
G70 2.0T Auto AWD (2019)
~52K KM.
Canada

Drained and refilled ATF, Front and Read diff oils. Replaced with Amsoil OE ATF and Long life gear oil.
Amsoil - because it was the cheapest oil I could find that is compatible with the recommended SP-IV-RR - $9.40 (CAD) per qt. vs $25 (CAD) per qt. for the Hyundai stuff at the dealer. Amsoil also delivered the oil to my door no charge.

ATF was 4 shades darker than the Amsoil, shimmering under light. ~3.5 qt. drained and took ~4 qt. back!!
Filter is built into the pan. Dealer quoted $365 + tax for the it and said it has to be ordered from Korea! Skipped for now.
Front and rear diffs, metal shavings visible (pic). Some were almost 5mm long!!

As for the process - pretty straight forward. The transmission drain and level check plugs take O-rings. The fill plug has an Al-washer, Both drain and fill plugs of the diffs take copper washers. Used an IR thermometer for ATF temp measurements during filling.

What about transfer case? - Although oil type and quantity is mentioned, manual says no drain, fill or level check bolts, in case a code related to oil appears - replace transfer case!!!

No change in performance / feel / shifts / sound / noise during the test drive :p. Will post if any change in the long run.
I found that Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn atf has the same spec and I use it in my 2012 R-Spec. Cost is $18/gallon at Walmart. I also have it in writing from Valvoline via email exchange with their tech dept.. I believe that anything from Amsoil is the best you can buy at any cost. I will change the atf with Valvoline more frequently as it is not expensive. Nice write up! Thanks

Hellothere

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This was at "Finch Hyundai" in London, ON.

I had used Amsoil "OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid" in my previous drain and fill as I was unsure how much fluid I would be replacing. That is a much cheaper fluid and I had no issues with it.

The drain, level check bolts need an Allen key to remove them and have a o-ring that the manual says to replace every time they are removed. Could not find a part number for the o-ring. I guess any generic one that matches the size will do.
The fill plug however has a aluminium crush washer.

I presume you have the service manual, if you are attempting the drain and fill. If you have any questions let me know. I'll do the best I can.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Here are the list of parts:

Rear Differential;
53070-39000 - Drain Plug
53072-39000 - Drain Plug Washer

53082-3C000 - Fill Plug
53084-39000 - Fill Plug Washer

Automatic Transmission;
45323-39000 - Transmission Fill Washer
45262-36000 - O-Ring for Drain and Level
45280-4J000 - Transmission Pan with built in filter

The Genesis License Plate Frame