• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Transmission issue

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So about two weeks ago my car (2.0T Elite) started shifting really horribly, it would lurch in and out of every gear. Took it to the dealership the next day and left it with them, they didn't have any Genesis loaners available so they put me into a rental until either they fixed my car or a Genesis became availble. 5 days went by until a Genesis was ready so I drove over to the dealership again, left my rental and they put me into a 2018 G80 5.0.

I got the diagnosis from them today that the transmission radiator had failed which caused the transmission issue so they are ordering a new radiator and transmission for me. All in all I'm kinda sad that my 8 month old car has a transmission issue but I am glad that I'm temporarily in a nicer car than my own and that they are fixing mine. I also had to drive about 12 hours this weekend which I was happy to put on a loaner car instead of my personal one.

I did notice that sometimes my car would act strange on shifts prior to this happening and I mentioned it when I brought in my car for my last maintenance. Once in a while on downshifts my car wouldn't shift smoothly and I would also get a burnt chemical smell(smelled extremely similar to burnt clutch) if I had been driving on the highway for a while or if I had given the car some extra throttle before pulling into my garage. I told them all of this at my last maintenance but they said #1 the smell is normal on new cars(I had about 7-8k miles at this point) and #2 they couldn't reproduce any transmission quirks.

rkar

Registered Member
So about two weeks ago my car (2.0T Elite) started shifting really horribly, it would lurch in and out of every gear. Took it to the dealership the next day and left it with them, they didn't have any Genesis loaners available so they put me into a rental until either they fixed my car or a Genesis became availble. 5 days went by until a Genesis was ready so I drove over to the dealership again, left my rental and they put me into a 2018 G80 5.0.

I got the diagnosis from them today that the transmission radiator had failed which caused the transmission issue so they are ordering a new radiator and transmission for me. All in all I'm kinda sad that my 8 month old car has a transmission issue but I am glad that I'm temporarily in a nicer car than my own and that they are fixing mine. I also had to drive about 12 hours this weekend which I was happy to put on a loaner car instead of my personal one.

I did notice that sometimes my car would act strange on shifts prior to this happening and I mentioned it when I brought in my car for my last maintenance. Once in a while on downshifts my car wouldn't shift smoothly and I would also get a burnt chemical smell(smelled extremely similar to burnt clutch) if I had been driving on the highway for a while or if I had given the car some extra throttle before pulling into my garage. I told them all of this at my last maintenance but they said #1 the smell is normal on new cars(I had about 7-8k miles at this point) and #2 they couldn't reproduce any transmission quirks.
I think I'm having a similar problem. My car "jolts" when coming to a stop for example at a stop sign from time to time. It's hard to reproduce but it happens. I'm wondering if it's the same problem. Did your car jolt as well while you would try and come to a stop sometimes? I don't think I smell anything coming from the car really. But sometimes I can smell something but can't really point a finger to it. Maybe it's just me. I just hit a 1k miles. Let me know if you experienced that as well.

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yea I would say it sounds like what was happening to me, usually it would happen on downshifts from 3rd -> 2nd or 2nd -> 1st. Even on acceleration I could feel micro stutters, like the power delivery wasn't as smooth at it should be. Comparing the feel of my G70 to my loaner G80, the transmission feels completely different, way smoother on this G80.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good way to get a new tranny. Hope it happens to me before my 100k km is up!

Revvdmedia

Registered Member
I've had abrupt/rough shifts going from gear 3 to 4 when accelerating lightly when the transmission is cold since the car was new. I figured with the 5 year warranty, hopefully it breaks before the warranty is up is that's indicative of a problem.

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good way to get a new tranny. Hope it happens to me before my 100k km is up!
I've had abrupt/rough shifts going from gear 3 to 4 when accelerating lightly when the transmission is cold since the car was new. I figured with the 5 year warranty, hopefully it breaks before the warranty is up is that's indicative of a problem.
Are you guys both from Canada? I'm surprised that the warranty is so different between USA and Canada, we have 10yr/100,000mi powertrain warranty in the US.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Are you guys both from Canada? I'm surprised that the warranty is so different between USA and Canada, we have 10yr/100,000mi powertrain warranty in the US.
Only 5/100km here.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think our government had an issue with Hyundai (Genesis too) offering a 10yr warranty since it would be an "unfair" advantage over the big 3. Protectionism at its finest...
I think it is the opposite. They only allow small or failing companies to offer it. Like Mitsubishi.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Jealous you got a G80 5.0. I spent the last three weeks in a Hyundai Kona

rdhqcpro

Charlotte, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

It sounds like my 3.3T is exhibiting the same symptoms yours had initially minus the smell. I'm definitely going to monitor this closely as I only have 2200 miles on the vehicle.

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So it seems I'm having the same issue at 700(!) miles. When car is cold, for example sitting overnight, when coming to first complete stop the car lurches forward and downshift hard into 1st.

Anyone else who has the 3.3 experiencing this?

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I too am noticing rough shifts from time to time and the burnt clutch smell as well when I go to park. I have an oil change upcoming in a month or two so I'll be sure to mention the issue at that time.

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got my car back today and this was the diagnosis. A little worrying that the fluids ran through the engine but hopefully everything will be ok. Definitely keeping all of this documentation incase of a future visit.

AA02: TRANSMISSION
CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE TRANSMISSION HAS HARSH
SHIFTS GOING UP AND DOWN IN GEARS.
Caused by
Factory transmission oil cooler failed. Failed
component caused transmission oil and coolant to
mix. Mixture of both fluids flowed thru entire
engine assembly, turbo, radiator, and complete
transmission assembly
Mixture of these fluids will cause a paste like
substance to flow thru major components of the
vehicle.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE AND PARTS
Installed 25620-B1700 :WARMER-A.T.F

Replaced entire trans assembly and radiator per
techline.
Removed trans cooler and noticed coolant and
transmission oil mixed. Removed and replaced
radiator assembly. Removed water pump and
thermostat to flush system of contaminated fluid.
Engine seems ok at this time and not overheating
45000 ROO 5.4 hrs trans
25300 ROO 1.5 hrs radiator
4500 OROO .3 hrs engine flush

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I drove it a little under 10 miles back to my house in stop and go traffic and there weren't any weird shifting issues. In general I would say the transmission in the G80 felt smoother than my car even now. I did forget how "sporty" the car feels after driving a G80 for almost 2 months, you can feel all the bumps in the road way more haha. I'll let you guys know how it feels after a week or so.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got my car back today and this was the diagnosis. A little worrying that the fluids ran through the engine but hopefully everything will be ok. Definitely keeping all of this documentation incase of a future visit.
my concern would be the turbo didn’t get overheated with the “paste“ in the cooling system.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I wonder how common this is. A lot of people seem to have this rough shifting issue. It makes me anxious since I don't have my full warranty - feels like something like this is just waiting to happen, and I have no doubt Genesis USA would do whatever it takes to avoid responsibility for it.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums