• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Transmission Issue

rrkazman

Hasn't posted much yet...
South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Last Wednesday I was driving home from the Airport when I got a check engine light on my 2013 Genesis Sedan. The car did not seem any different in fact it seemed fine. I have an ODB II hand held code reader, the code was Transmission Pressure sensor out of range. I have a third party warranty so I went to my local transmission shop. They however do not work on Genesis, Hyundai will not release any data on repair of these transmissions and there are no third party parts available. So I went to the dealer who read the scan code in the transmission as said it needs to be replaced. They want 10K to put in a new one, of course the third party warranty company said not happening. So I believe come Monday we will be at an impasse. The warranty company wants to find a rebuilt transmission to put in, those do not exist, the dealer wants to put in the new one. The dealer will not install a used one. Does any one know how I can reach the Hyundai regional representative for South Carolina. Since the car only has 86,000 miles I believe Hyundai should absorb some of the cost of the repair, the dealer will not give me any contact info for anyone.

ddoz23

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Last Wednesday I was driving home from the Airport when I got a check engine light on my 2013 Genesis Sedan. The car did not seem any different in fact it seemed fine. I have an ODB II hand held code reader, the code was Transmission Pressure sensor out of range. I have a third party warranty so I went to my local transmission shop. They however do not work on Genesis, Hyundai will not release any data on repair of these transmissions and there are no third party parts available. So I went to the dealer who read the scan code in the transmission as said it needs to be replaced. They want 10K to put in a new one, of course the third party warranty company said not happening. So I believe come Monday we will be at an impasse. The warranty company wants to find a rebuilt transmission to put in, those do not exist, the dealer wants to put in the new one. The dealer will not install a used one. Does any one know how I can reach the Hyundai regional representative for South Carolina. Since the car only has 86,000 miles I believe Hyundai should absorb some of the cost of the repair, the dealer will not give me any contact info for anyone.
Try (800) 633-5151, hopefully they can point you into the right direction.

ebegay93

Genesis Model Type
Hyundai Motor America
Consumer Assistance Center
10550 Talbert Avenue
Po Box 20850
Foutain Valley, CA 92728
800-633-5151
This is for Consumers State of South Carolina

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Check your 3rd party warranty contract carefully and read all of it , footnotes etc. IMO the warranty company is on the hook for making your car right in a reasonable amount of time. Hold their feet to the fire regarding what is stated in the warranty. If the warranty covers the transmission and does not state specifically that only a rebuilt/re manufactured part/component will be used then they must get your car going using a new transmission. Go public if need be on a local TV station with a consumer reporter. Hyundai Transmissions - Transmissions Express

Last edited:

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Up-Date: I am getting a used transmission supplied by the warranty company to the dealership. The warranty company will warrant the new used transmission to the end of the original contract. The dealership will run the used unit through the evaluation test stand, and it has to meet the operating standards required by Hyundai before they will install it. What I have learned in all of this is, this transmission is so complex and so exclusively Hyundai that no third party transmission shop will open one up. To service the transmission requires a test stand built by Hyundai very costly, the only parts available to re-builders are used. So very low ROI for a rebuild shop that may only see one of these per year or less. I received that information from the warranty company, and it confirms what I have found on the internet and by calling local re-builders. Some good news the complete failure rate of these units is very low, only 6% of all transmission failures are complete only 2% of all failuers are transmission related, so hopefully the used unit which has 20K less mileage than the car will run without issue. All in I may purchase a used unit myself, they range from $600 to $2,000 on the internet. I can store it away as insurance. I will post a final up-date once all of the work is in. I am waiting for a call back from Hyundai customer service for their input.

Hero6

Florida
Genesis Model Type
I had a similar issue with my 2011 4.6. Transmission needed to be replaced at around 95, 000. I had a 3rd party warranty (Easy care). Dealer wanted $10k for new transmission, but warranty company purchased a used transmission (55,000 miles) and sent to dealer. Dealer installed ($2700). ($800 of which was for new tranny fluid) I only paid my $100 deductible. had work done at Hampton Hyundai in Ft Walton beach FL, great dealership BTW.

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
I had a similar issue with my 2011 4.6. Transmission needed to be replaced at around 95, 000. I had a 3rd party warranty (Easy care). Dealer wanted $10k for new transmission, but warranty company purchased a used transmission (55,000 miles) and sent to dealer. Dealer installed ($2700). ($800 of which was for new tranny fluid) I only paid my $100 deductible. had work done at Hampton Hyundai in Ft Walton beach FL, great dealership BTW.
Have you had any issues since then?

Hero6

Florida
Genesis Model Type
I have not had any issues since the replacement. I have about 110,000 miles on the car now.

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Here is my second follow up, the warranty company provided a used transmission which was installed. A so called certified unit. It lasted one day. The car is back in the shop waiting for the decision of the warranty company and LKQ the suppler of the transmission. I am without the car and it now approaching a month.

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
It was the Dealer, as part of the deal they were to do a complete service on the used transmission. The transmission was to have come from a front end total. It was certified by the supplier, so they are having to supply a second one. The first transmission had no ID tag on it, so the computer set up machine could not acquire all of the set-up data. There is a tag with a splatter code that tells the set-up equipment how to set the parameters for the car it is being placed in. I do think the unit had problems before it was put in my car, as it had no over drive, it would have a delay to engage when It backed out of the drive way, and it would miss the down shift from 3rd to 2nd when accelerating. So will see when the next one comes what happens.

Nolfol

I feel your pain my first trans was replaced under warranty at 49k now sitting at 132k and second trans is shit I have a case # with hyundai awaiting it’s denial Lol dealer quoted 9k
Cars worth 9/10k so I too have looked for used trans but like you said it’s Russian roulette
Worst thing Hyundai did was ditch the 6spd for in house built 8spd

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
To Nolfol; one of the biggest issues with this is that only a dealer can install a transmission because it requires a special computer system that cost around 70K, it is supplied to Hyundai dealers service departments for free. I spoke with LKQ the largest parts suppler in North America. They have a large stock of used transmissions but they can not check them out. They interview the owners of the cars from which the units were taken when they can contact them, that is how they certify a good working unit from a unit with issues. Not to scientific. I will keep my 3rd party warranty paid up as long as I own the car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
As long as the warranty company keeps getting new transmissions I am ok with that. They continue to cover it until the end of the original warranty period. Hyundia is uninterested, what will happen very shortly if another transmission goes out it will have been the same coat as new. The dealer gets 2500 labor and 1000 in supplies. So 3500 plus 500 to 600 for the transmission. We will see what happens.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Oh I know is a scam lol they made so you have to go to them I’ve researched as you have
I hate to hear your issues bit I would say the 8 speed is very reliable if you look at the full #s. Maybe you got a "bad" one and the next install was not good. Saying it is a scam is rather ridiculous. Take a look at BMW reliability to see what you could be getting
But this 8 speed is still in the newer models so the quality is there

Nolfol

I know every car manufacturer has issues
And I’m sure the 8spd is more reliable today then In its first run of years
What I meant by scam is having only the dealer as a choice of repair or they make it so you have to bring it there .
talked to numerous trans shops and they make it hard to get parts and software needed to repair
Just ask tuner there is reason software is hard to come by from Hyundai
I love this car always have I’m a Hyundai fan boy I’ve had 7 Hyundai’s in a row
Parts pricing and value of this car make hard to keep on the road
Like many luxury brands lol

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
For independent repair shops, the issue is return on investment. The software and the special equipment cost around 70K. Then there is an annual fee to keep up to date. Just that means minimum 20 transmissions a year to offset that cost. Then the parts, there are no after market parts suppliers for the Genesis transmission. So parts come from the dealer. Then there is the issue that the Transmission cannot be rebuilt due to the how the case and the clutch bodies are cast together. My friend who owns a shop rebuilds between 4500 and 5000 transmission per year, all makes and models he told me there is just no way he can make any money on the Genesis.

rrkazman

South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
This is my latest up-date, I received my car back last Wednesday afternoon. So far so good. The latest transmission is working and is very smooth. The all in cost to the warranty company was $4,700.00 for the 2 Transmissions and install. I did discover that they could have requested a discount from Hyundia and gotten a new Transmission for around $6000.00. So we will see how this goes. I have an AC problem that I am going to address soon. When it is really hot and the car has not run for a couple of days, like when I leave it at the Airport, the AC blows hot air for 10 to 15 minutes when first turned on.
This stated the end of the summer and I have not had it looked at yet.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums