Transmission, second time!

lvdw55

Hasn't posted much yet...
Never again will I even consider any type of Hyundai vehicle. Bought a 2013 Genesis in 2015. Had transmission replaced, fortunately under warranty, at 47,000 miles. Now, at 93,000 miles transmission is shot AGAIN. Didn't take it to the dealership, took it took a reputable garage. Was told a gentlemen was just in with the same problem. Didn't say what year, but it was a Genesis; he had transmission replaced at 95,000 miles and now, at 175,000 miles is getting another one. I guess he was lucky; he got many more miles on his then I. Regardless, what's up with Hyundai transmissions? NO MORE!!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Of course, you know they are using a completely different transmission now...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Never again will I even consider any type of Hyundai vehicle. Bought a 2013 Genesis in 2015. Had transmission replaced, fortunately under warranty, at 47,000 miles. Now, at 93,000 miles transmission is shot AGAIN. Didn't take it to the dealership, took it took a reputable garage. Was told a gentlemen was just in with the same problem. Didn't say what year, but it was a Genesis; he had transmission replaced at 95,000 miles and now, at 175,000 miles is getting another one. I guess he was lucky; he got many more miles on his then I. Regardless, what's up with Hyundai transmissions? NO MORE!!
Yes, it is an expensive problem. They have changed transmissions though.

What brand are you considering? I don't know of any that never had a tranny that lasts forever. Talk to a transmission shop and maybe they can recommend one. There are five near me and something is keeping them in business.

lvdw55

Of course, you know they are using a completely different transmission now...
Doesn’t matter to me what Hyundai does, I’m finished with them! Also had family members who had Elantras and they had similar issues.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Doesn’t matter to me what Hyundai does, I’m finished with them! Also had family members who had Elantras and they had similar issues.
Fair enough. You'll just have to buy a car from a brand that has never had any problems with any of the models or years that they made in the past. Good luck with that...

lvdw55

Fair enough. You'll just have to buy a car from a brand that has never had any problems with any of the models or years that they made in the past. Good luck with that...
I know there's no such manufacturer, but I know many who have bought Hyundais and had transmission problems. Three just in my immediate family and, as I mentioned, the garage where I took mine, mentioned the customer that was just in with same problem, also for second time. My experience will travel to as many ears I can reach and they will make their own decision. Mine's been made! Done with Hyundai; see many of their SUVs that are eye-catching, but as soon as I see the gaudy, stretched out "H", it's a NO! As the guy at garage said, the customer with his second transmission issue said it was his 'Japanese Mercedes'!

lvdw55

Yes, it is an expensive problem. They have changed transmissions though.

What brand are you considering? I don't know of any that never had a tranny that lasts forever. Talk to a transmission shop and maybe they can recommend one. There are five near me and something is keeping them in business.
Don't expect anything to last forever, but only 47,000 miles and now AGAIN at 93,000? As the saying says, Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me! There won't be a 'twice' for me with Hyundai.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Don't expect anything to last forever, but only 47,000 miles and now AGAIN at 93,000? As the saying says, Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me! There won't be a 'twice' for me with Hyundai.
Understand your frustration but I also understand reality. If every Hyundai trans went out at every 45000 miles there would be a line at the tranny shop.

You got to vent about it and good luck with whatever you get next. I'm sticking with Hyundai/Genesis based on the reliability of my last five cars from them.

lvdw55

Understand your frustration but I also understand reality. If every Hyundai trans went out at every 45000 miles there would be a line at the tranny shop.

You got to vent about it and good luck with whatever you get next. I'm sticking with Hyundai/Genesis based on the reliability of my last five cars from them.
Fantastic….hopefully in your future purchases of Hyundai you won’t get what I got. You’re either lucky or an employee of Hyundai?
Best to you! Adios!

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Fantastic….hopefully in your future purchases of Hyundai you won’t get what I got. You’re either lucky or an employee of Hyundai?
Best to you! Adios!
He's not the only one.
I've had no problems with the three we have (Sonata, Cadenza, G80) so far. The Sonata has over 100K miles.

Realistically, they would hardly be able to sell cars here if even 1/10 of the people were having the experiences that you believe to be so common.

That said, I understand your viewpoint. I have a similar one about Chrysler.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners