• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Trunk Release - Rubber torn

Scooby

Hasn't posted much yet...
Wake Forest NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Does anyone know if the rubber grommet that you touch to open the trunk lid is covered under warranty or a 'wear and tear' item? Mine is torn and the car has 22K miles on it. Thanks!!

it.Trunk.png

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Does anyone know if the rubber grommet that you touch to open the trunk lid is covered under warranty or a 'wear and tear' item? Mine is torn and the car has 22K miles on it. Thanks!!
My opinion would be yes, but my opinion does not count. I'd call the dealer or ask when I was going in for next service.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

NC356

Greensboro, NC
Genesis Model Type
Local Dealer capital Hyundai here took a look at my deteriorated switch cover and ordered a new one under warranty without hesitation;
Tech said "it's a common problem"
I'm 2nd owner of my '16 3.8, so I know I have less warranty than some of you, but kudos to Capital Hyundai.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Local Dealer capital Hyundai here took a look at my deteriorated switch cover and ordered a new one under warranty without hesitation;
Tech said "it's a common problem"
I'm 2nd owner of my '16 3.8, so I know I have less warranty than some of you, but kudos to Capital Hyundai.
Did you buy your car there?

NC356

Greensboro, NC
Genesis Model Type
"Did you buy your car there? "
No, they don't know me at all until now. Car was delivered to Deland FL and I bought it used near Orlando in May.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I tried to buy a car there but they would have nothing to do with it. Wondering how the service was - their oil changes are $60 which is ok for synthetic.

Paraiks

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Same thing happened to mine. Took the car to the dealer and they replaced it for free. The dealer told me it was an OEM part that should not be going bad so quickly. My car had around 54,000 miles at the time of replacement.IMG_20180730_151710419_HDR.jpg

First Gen

Genesis Model Type
I just bought a used 15 Genesis 5.0. Did not notice this issue until a few days after purchase. Dealer is quoting $800 for parts plus labor to repair, and says not a warranty item (is this not between the bumpers as in "bumper to bumper" warranty???) . After some pushback, dealer is contacting Hyundai to see it they will cover it as a goodwill gesture. FYI - apparently the central locking system is also not covered.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just did the wing badge swap today and discovered the rotted out switch cover on my CPO 2016 that I bought earlier in the month with 12k miles. Looks to be a poor quality part given this early and seemingly common parts failure.

This will be my first repair for the car and having bought the car out of state will have to decide on a local dealer to do the work now. Thinking this should have been caught in the CPO inspection process but was never given any inspection paperwork when I purchased so am guessing here. Hope this first experience goes well.

Attachments

FornicatorSteve

Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
typical dealer idiocy. .

that is a $40 part and takes 10 minutes to swap.
What part number is the rubber cover? The only thing I can find, and what Hyundai Corporate has told me, is that the rubber on the latch is tied to the switch assembly AND backup camera.

If the rubber cover can be ordered separately, please let me know as I'd rather spend $40 than $200.
Part No.: 95760

FornicatorSteve

Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
What part number is the rubber cover? The only thing I can find, and what Hyundai Corporate has told me, is that the rubber on the latch is tied to the switch assembly AND backup camera.

If the rubber cover can be ordered separately, please let me know as I'd rather spend $40 than $200.
Part No.: 95760
Replying to myself, but I believe I have found that part, it should be 81260. It's just the rubber housing, sans the camera bracket, the camera, and the o-ring around the camera.

I'll update later to see if this is indeed the correct part. If anyone knows for certain and can confirm, that'd be sweet.

FornicatorSteve

Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
Replying to myself, but I believe I have found that part, it should be 81260. It's just the rubber housing, sans the camera bracket, the camera, and the o-ring around the camera.

I'll update later to see if this is indeed the correct part. If anyone knows for certain and can confirm, that'd be sweet.

View attachment 17897
Just wanted to do my due diligence and confirm that 81260B is the correct part number for this piece. It's list price is $56, give or take.

Only bumping because too many threads have this happen where a conclusion is reached for a niche issue, but left ambiguous in the post. Hopefully should anyone else run into this issue they'll be able to get the correct repairs done.

Gen_Eric

Genesis Model Type
Hello all
I have the same issue. I bought the part and want to replace it. Can anyone help me with the instructions on how to do it?

Attachments