Tune for 5.0 Rspec TEST CAR NEEDED!!!

Thread starter #1

BoostedCajun

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've been searching for tuners for the 5.0 Rspec that can actually crack the factory ECU and tune it effectively. I also know that for this platform cracking the factory ECU to tune it was somewhat of an issue. I found a company out of Washington State called Tork Motorsports, that has a 450HP Kia Stinger that they've customer tuned. After commenting on a few of their videos, they said they'd be willing to develop tunes for this platform, all they need is someone to volunteer their Rspec so a tune can be made. Please see below the video where they said they'd be willing to help develop this platform.

Tork Motorsports <<<<<<Click here to see some of their work!

i'm in seattle, looking at an rspec, if i pull the trigger will give them a call. What do they think they can get hp to? and how many trannys will i go through :)

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
i'm in seattle, looking at an rspec, if i pull the trigger will give them a call. What do they think they can get hp to? and how many trannys will i go through :)
Well I think that largely depends on one's personal preferences and appetites, if you're into that kinda thing. (I'll see myself out...)

Thread starter #6

BoostedCajun

The 5.0 Rspecs make around 335Hp to the wheels (429HP at the crank), the trans is plenty stout from what I've read, so I doubt you'll have any trans issues. If I had to guess with a tune and supporting mods like an intake and exhaust...I'd say around 380-400-ish-hp to the wheels give or take. This guys knows the ECUs in Hyundai's very well. So, he could get more out of it, only time will tell, once we can get someone to bring their car out and let him tune it.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
very similar engine and transmission to our 2012-2014 5.0 setup - the more traction we/anyone/everyone that owns a Hyundai with the 5.0 gets the better chance to have some real options out there.
especially now that many are out of the factory warranty unless they are the original owner still. So more people willing to "step up" and see what is available.
I know this 1G 5.0 is great for what it is, much lighter than the 2G version. As is I enjoy blasting around when I can especially in the cooler air

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
The 5.0 Rspecs make around 335Hp to the wheels (429HP at the crank), the trans is plenty stout from what I've read, so I doubt you'll have any trans issues. If I had to guess with a tune and supporting mods like an intake and exhaust...I'd say around 380-400-ish-hp to the wheels give or take. This guys knows the ECUs in Hyundai's very well. So, he could get more out of it, only time will tell, once we can get someone to bring their car out and let him tune it.
I doubt it will pick up 50+ hp to the wheels. The tunes for the 4.6 are only picking up around 10-15 whp. NA's just dont leave much on the table for hp to be picked up by a tune. It probably will help a lot with driveability though and will 'feel' faster as most modern cars like to modulate inputs which dulls it down, a tune will usually fix that.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
peak HP or TQ isnt the biggest "thing" but more the area below the curve. Meaning say your peak HP only goes up 10HP but the area below the curve is much bigger (more power throughout the RPM range) then that will really help and mean then most when you put your foot down.
Just my random opinion! lol

Paul

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jacksonville, Fl.
Genesis Model Type
The 5.0 Rspecs make around 335Hp to the wheels (429HP at the crank), the trans is plenty stout from what I've read, so I doubt you'll have any trans issues...
I think the gains that will be seen with any sort of intake/exhaust combo would be minimal at best, perhaps 15ish peak and a rise through the rpm band just by leaning the car out a bit and adjusting the timing tables to correspond with the fuel corrections. Other benefits would be allowing the user some control over the TCS/ESC so it's not so intrusive. The people that would reap the benefits from any sort of real tuning knowledge are the very small crowd of guys that want to take the car to the next level and either go FI or NOS.

A properly selected blower would make this motor insane. The stock torque curve is nice and fat from down low till about 5k and the HP curve builds nice and smooth up to 6k. Shit, with as fat as these cars run, I bet that you could run a procharger at 5~6psi and have no issues with a decent tune. My only real concern would be how the converter would hold up. But a converter is a converter and any decent performance trans shop worth their weight could build a converter to suit individual needs.

That all being said, I feel the most noticeable gains aren't in the PCM, but rather in trans tuning. I know that BTR offers their tuned TCM, but what exactly are they modifying? The biggest gains would be on the way that the car shifts and giving more control to the driver when in sport/manual mode. Out of the box, the gearbox leaves a lot to be desired and when in sport mode, driver input is more of a request..

Either way, the major segment of guys that drive these cars aren't gear heads that want to go fast. Those that do have moved on to a more mod friendly car, or have another car that suits their need for that sort of thing.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.