Tuning chip or performance computer and factory warranty

Darken

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
About to become a 2021 G70 3.3T Sport owner and was wondering if it is worth adding a tuning chip or performance enhancing computer to it? If so, how would it affect the factory warranty? I know you can disconnect it at any time and supposedly the car would just go back to factory settings.

ephone1

SUSTAINING MEMBER
West Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There's been endless debate about this over at the Kia Stinger forum. Most people believe that a piggyback is undetectable, but some believe that there are traces in other data logging (like the transmission controller) that could indicate that it was on the car. The reality is, no one really knows for sure.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
About to become a 2021 G70 3.3T Sport owner and was wondering if it is worth adding a tuning chip or performance enhancing computer to it? If so, how would it affect the factory warranty? I know you can disconnect it at any time and supposedly the car would just go back to factory settings.
Genesis has every right to void a warranty if you make modifications for performance. Any manufacturer does.

You should remove it before going in for any service. No idea if it would leave traces. If you go in for an oil change, no one would probably look, but if you want in with broken pistons, chances are they will look.

Darken

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
OK TY for the thoughts. For now, I think I will pass on it. I was happy and excited when I test drove it, so I am good for now.

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For what it's worth, Harley Davidson has the tech's do a search anytime the car is in for any service. Supposedly for possible updates, recall's etc. But they will void the warranty if a Piggyback or software controller is there or not, All it has to have done is been there at some point. Also most of the Piggyback units, car or bikes, leave a footprint even if removed and are married to the serial number of the vehicle. I know mine on the bike is, it keeps you from using on another bike, same deal with cars. Be careful, a couple of horsepower are not worth warranty on a failed engine or trans.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ the JB4 tuner, one of the more common units, does not 'marry' or register to a specific VIN as far as i am aware. you often see them for sale on classifieds, where they are just as effective on the 2nd/3rd/4th/etc vehicle.

of course, there's always a risk. but with the # of JB4 units out on the market on a wide variety of makes i'd like to see history of warranty claim denials. there must be documented cases of this by now. i could search to satisfy my curiosity, but don't have the time.

CannonballRun

Registered Member
DC area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Whether you want a legal battle to fight or not is up to the individual. But, the United States Magnusson Moss Act (I think) addresses this paraphrasing that a warranty cannot be voided if the aftermarket part did not cause the failure of whatever has failed. That's like having your warranty on your shocks voided because you added aftermarket windshield wipers. The wipers did not cause the shocks to fail. But, again, you might have one hell of a legal battle and spend a lot of money fighting it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Whether you want a legal battle to fight or not is up to the individual. But, the United States Magnusson Moss Act (I think) addresses this paraphrasing that a warranty cannot be voided if the aftermarket part did not cause the failure of whatever has failed. That's like having your warranty on your shocks voided because you added aftermarket windshield wipers. The wipers did not cause the shocks to fail. But, again, you might have one hell of a legal battle and spend a lot of money fighting it.
Could be an interesting battle. The JB4 (and other tunes) is designed to push the engine beyond the advertised capacity so if you put a valve though a piston or lose a bearing you may have a problem.

At least your shocks would still be covered.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums