Turbo or supercharger for 3.8?

RyanHout

Hasn't posted much yet...
Does anyone know if I can put a sc/turbo on my 2013 3.8? And exactly what would I need to do so? Just looking to consider the options when it comes down to making this my "show" car or my daily. I searched and couldn't find any helpful threads. Please lemme know!

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
To my knowledge, there is no specific kit available to turbo or supercharge the 3.8, or for that matter any Hyundai V8. Nevertheless, there are manufacturers who will sell you a general application kit, which will not fit anything. You will have to engineer it yourself from scratch. Best to learn a lot about superchargers and turbos so as to make intelligent choices.There are a few shops nationally that will take on a custom fitting. It is not cheap. Advise budgeting $$$$, maybe as much as $10,000. Figure on having your car tied up for weeks. Then there is no guarantee that your job will turn out satisfactory, as quality and throughness of the shops' work is very subjective.
If you truly want this kind of power increase I think you'd be better off to start with the V8. "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

RyanHout

I'm really just focusing on making one of my cars a "show" car eventually, so I'm not worried about money as I'll probably be making money from sponsors and stuff, however speed isn't an issue either I just would like to be able to fit a huge turbo into it, and have it semi-functional.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm really just focusing on making one of my cars a "show" car eventually, so I'm not worried about money as I'll probably be making money from sponsors and stuff, however speed isn't an issue either I just would like to be able to fit a huge turbo into it, and have it semi-functional.
If money is not a factor, why would you do that to a 2013 model?

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
TurboKits.com is looking for a 3.8 Sedan to R&D their kit for. It should be an easy adaptation of their existing 3.8 Coupe single turbo kit. Check out their site for the gains they got off the MPI and GDI 3.8 Coupes (The 8 PSI they run is completely safe, at one point they were offering a 10 PSI kit but the AFRs were a little sketchy).

Tailwalker, xiaphin and myself are creating a positive displacement supercharger kit for the 4.6 (And 5.0 once BTR comes up with a sensible tuning solution for that ECU). One could be looked into for the 3.8 if there is enough interest.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL

Is this guy for real?? Or just 25??

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
TurboKits.com is looking for a 3.8 Sedan to R&D their kit for. It should be an easy adaptation of their existing 3.8 Coupe single turbo kit. Check out their site for the gains they got off the MPI and GDI 3.8 Coupes (The 8 PSI they run is completely safe, at one point they were offering a 10 PSI kit but the AFRs were a little sketchy).

Tailwalker, xiaphin and myself are creating a positive displacement supercharger kit for the 4.6 (And 5.0 once BTR comes up with a sensible tuning solution for that ECU). One could be looked into for the 3.8 if there is enough interest.

What he said if you are serious about either option. BTR has done both in Korea. Supercharger kit was available over there but they stopped working with the vendor due to poor quality. All 3.8 sedan turbo builds have been custom. Just build your own custom one with help from your sponsors.

RyanHout

Yeah I spoke to turbokits.com and they've got a couple more projects before they get to the Genesis sedan turbo kit, but I offered my car for their test subject if they can compensate any damage lol, they said sure when we start we will type up a contract.

wishihadaprada

to be a little more.... realistic about this situation, i have a question. turbo or super, either way, what kind of issues do the 3.8s pose with boost and little supporting mods? oil starvation, compression starting off too high for safe boosting, fuel system issues, ecm, any kind of early bottle necks i should be aware of? im thinking in the direction of a turbo kit thats less indepth for someone, erm, sponsored, that could handle it financially if the sponsors dont come thru. ive owned show cars, that win trophies and had features.. and still never had a sponsor throw me free big single turbo kits.. but since ive also spent a little time under the hood, i would want to look into doing a 8-12lb k03s or k04 turbo (or similiar) on the 3.8 and dont want to have to sleeve and all that crap. i left that with the honda scene. i dont want my new dad-mobile to stay slow forever but not tearing down a motor either

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Advice...sell your 1G Genesis and buy a 2018 Genesis G80.

84FordMan

Registered Member
NC
to be a little more.... realistic about this situation, i have a question. turbo or super, either way, what kind of issues do the 3.8s pose with boost and little supporting mods? oil starvation, compression starting off too high for safe boosting, fuel system issues, ecm, any kind of early bottle necks i should be aware of? im thinking in the direction of a turbo kit thats less indepth for someone, erm, sponsored, that could handle it financially if the sponsors dont come thru. ive owned show cars, that win trophies and had features.. and still never had a sponsor throw me free big single turbo kits.. but since ive also spent a little time under the hood, i would want to look into doing a 8-12lb k03s or k04 turbo (or similiar) on the 3.8 and dont want to have to sleeve and all that crap. i left that with the honda scene. i dont want my new dad-mobile to stay slow forever but not tearing down a motor either

The setups you see on TurboKits.com are a conservative tune and have proven very reliable. Early 3.8 kits spiked out at 10 to 12 PSI, but the trim was too lean and possibly would of led to an engine failure if continued at that pressure. MPI 3.8s see ~400 WHP and ~350 WTQ at 8 PSI, while GDI 3.8s see ~412 WHP and ~362 WTQ. The thickness of the casting in the block was increased with the GDI 3.8 (The block can be swapped as long as you keep the MPI heads).

Darton sleeves are available thanks to the likes of Terrance Richards, a 3.8 Turbo Genesis Coupe owner, who has extensively pushed, and blown, and rebuilt his engine. IIRC he is somewhere around 450-475 WHP.

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Good information as always 84FordMan.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Problem with forced induction is the ECU, you can't crack the ECU you can't really do much in the way of tuning. Unless you want to piggy back a haltech or something on the side and do a port fuel injection setup. Not many ecus can control the GDI or direct injection alone.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums