TUTORIAL: 2015 Genesis trunklid KDM "Wings" Emblem installation

Motegi

Been here awhile...
Get your Genesis emblem/badge HERE!

I know that there are already similar posts for the 1st gen Genesis trunk lid emblem swap but I thought I would create one for the 2nd gen (2015+) owners.

SUPPLIES:
  • KDM trunk lid emblem (Part No: 86330 B1000)
  • 20lb fishing line ($3 at WalMart)
  • 2 pieces of wooden dowel/pencils/plastic sticks
  • Blue painters tape
  • Goo Gone or WD40
  • Detailing spray
  • Isopropyl alcohol
  • Bubble/spirit level
  • Heat gun or hairdryer
  • Measuring tape
  • Dremel tool with cutting disc and grinding stone
  • Shop rags/microfiber cloths
TIME:
30 minutes

INTRO:

North American 2nd gen Genesis sedans come with the "Flying H" oval emblem on the trunk lid with the remainder of the badging being the Genesis "Wings" on the hood and elsewhere. However, in Korea, the Genesis are sold with the "Wings" emblem throughout including the trunk lid.

For those North American owners who want to convert their trunk lid badging to the "Wings" emblem it can be done by ordering the KDM part and some simple modification. Please note that the "Wings" emblem for the 2nd gen Genesis sedan is shaped differently than the emblem for the 1st gen Genesis sedan or coupe. Also the trunk lid emblem is smaller in size than the hood emblem. Also the emblems are aligned from the factory using plastic pegs and holes drilled into the trunk lid itself. Unfortunately, the hole spacing is different between the North American and KDM Genesis sedans so some modification will be needed to the KDM emblem prior to installation:

You can get the KDM 2nd gen Genesis "Wings" trunk lid emblem right here. Here's how mine looked when it arrived:

-------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS:

PREP:

Wash the car thoroughly OR wipe down the trunk lid with a clean microfiber cloth and detailing spray. Remove all surface dust from the area. Be careful to avoid introducing swirl marks into the paint.

Next assemble your emblem removal tool using the about 12-14 inches of fishing line and the two dowels. The dowels will act as handles and the line is what will cut through the adhesive on the trunk badge without scratching the paint. I used a black plastic yard stake cut into 4 inch pieces. I scored a shallow groove into the center of the handles using some utility scissors. The groove will make it easier to tie the fishing line on and prevent it from sliding up and down the dowel. I tied mine so that there was only 7-8 inches of fishing line between the two dowels for better control.

STEP 1:

First you will need to remove the plastic pegs from the back of the KDM "wings" emblem using a Dremel tool with cutting disc. I recommend covering the back with some masking tape to protect the factory adhesive. I found it easiest to cut a little on all 4 sides rather than to try to cut through all the way from just one side due to the slight angle of the cutting disc with respect to the emblem.

STEP 2:

Use the Dremel with grinding stone to gently sand down the peg stumps so that they are below the level of the factory adhesive. If the stump sticks out above the adhesive it will scratch your paint and may prevent the adhesive from making good contact with the car.

STEP 3:

Remove the existing "Flying H" emblem from the trunk lid. First use the low heat setting on a heat gun or the high setting on a hair dryer to heat up one side of the "Flying H" emblem. Using the heat gun it only took 10-15 seconds to become hot to the touch. It may take a little longer to heat with a hair dryer.

STEP 4:

Gently pass the fishing line tool under one edge of the heated emblem and use a slight "sawing" motion to cut through the adhesive. If the adhesive has been heated enough it should cut through without much force.

You will be able to cut the adhesive down to the plastic peg which protrudes closer to the middle of the emblem

STEP 5:

Repeat on the other half of the emblem and then bring the fishing line though the top and bottom edges as well. Now the "Flying H" emblem should come off easily. If you are still feeling resistance keep working all the way around with the fishing line.

STEP 6:

Now remove the chunks of adhesive left behind on the trunk lid gently using your fingernails. Do not use anything here that would scratch or gouge your paint.

For the adhesive residue left behind use some Goo Gone or WD40 applied to a shop rag to wipe down the area.

Continued...

Last edited:

Motegi

Been here awhile...
STEP 7:

Next use some isopropyl alcohol applied to a shop rag to wipe off the Goo Gone or WD40 film.

STEP 8:

Now using two strips of blue painters tape on the top edge, test fit your new KDM "Wings" emblem onto the trunk lid. DO NOT peel the factory adhesive backing off of the "Wings" emblem yet. This is just going to be a test fit for alignment.

As long as your car is parked on a level surface to you can use a bubble/spirit level to confirm that the emblem is level with respect to the car. You can check the car by opening the trunk and placing the level on the trunk floor. If your car itself is not level then you do not use the bubble/spirit level to align the emblem. In this case, use a tape measure to align the emblem by comparing the distance from the wingtip to the lower trunk edge. You should also use the tape measure to confirm side to side positioning.

STEP 9:

Once your emblem is aligned, use the painters tape to tape a perimeter around the wingtips and along the bottom edge of the emblem. You will be using these as your guide when adhering the "Wings" to the trunk. Double check with the tape measure and level after you create the perimeter in case anything has shifted.

STEP 10:

Now take the "Wings" emblem off of the trunk lid and peel off the adhesive backing taking care not to touch the adhesive with your hands as the oils in your fingers will diminish its stickiness.

Carefully apply the emblem onto the trunk using your blue tape perimeter as your guide. I started by applying the right lower edge using both the left wingtip and bottom of the crest as my guide.

Press the emblem on and hold for 20-30 seconds with gentle uniform pressure to ensure a good seal.

STEP 10:

Now peel off the blue painters tape perimeter. Give the emblem and trunk lid a wipe down using the microfiber cloth and detailing spray to remove any fingerprints and you are DONE!!!

ENJOY!

Last edited:

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
You do not want to use a level like you did. If the ground your car is parked on is not perfectly level, the wings will not be either. Better off to measure up from the trunk lid lip to the 2 tips of the wings and mark them with tape. ;)

I have removed not only the emblems on 2 Genesis but also the Genesis name on both cars not to mention experimenting an removing fender emblems a few times. All came off easily without the use of floss or fishing line. Just heated things up pretty good and pealed it off. Do be careful as it will be hot.

Nice writeup by the way.

Motegi

Been here awhile...
Good point about the car being level. I checked the car using the trunk floor and top of the trunk lid.

As per your input I have modified the tutorial to include this information.

Last edited:

acecert

Registered Member
California
Great document...thanks. I know providing pictures and steps takes some effort.

P.S. And thank you especially for the pic showing the wings with the posts angled against the narrower holes!

Last edited:

vega

Been here awhile...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
a note of caution using the heat gun, too long even on low will soften and wrinkle the paint, more so on new paint.

John Baxter

Getting familiar with the group...
You have gone to so much personal effort to help others... thanks & respect to you!!

That is a perfect 2015 Model rear badge replacement tutorial, explained so simply and with crystal clear pics to demonstrate each step... fantastic!

Motegi

Been here awhile...
Agreed. Most people use a hair dryer, which is a lot safer.
As I mentioned in the tutorial you only need to use the heat gun for 10-15 seconds on low setting. And I included the option of a hairdryer in the tutorial as well for those who do not have access to a heat gun.

However if you are at all unsure then by all means just use the hairdryer.

Trust me, the paint gets hotter baking in the Florida Sun than the heat gun for 10-15 seconds. :)

italiabrain

Registered Member
I used a chalk line to do mine using the corner of part of the lights as a leveling guide. That way it's level with the trunk whether or not the trunk is level with the ground.

Motegi

Been here awhile...
I used a chalk line to do mine using the corner of part of the lights as a leveling guide. That way it's level with the trunk whether or not the trunk is level with the ground.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea too. Just shows that there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
As I mentioned in the tutorial you only need to use the heat gun for 10-15 seconds on low setting. And I included the option of a hairdryer in the tutorial as well for those who do not have access to a heat gun.

However if you are at all unsure then by all means just use the hairdryer.

Trust me, the paint gets hotter baking in the Florida Sun than the heat gun for 10-15 seconds. :)
I used a heat gun also, because I didn't have a hair dryer. But I would still recommend a hair dryer if possible, since not everyone is going to know exactly how long to heat the old emblem, or how close to place it, and disaster may ensue.

acecert

Registered Member
California
With Motegi's permission, I created and posted a You Tube video for the wing installation instructions. I also modified the instructions to include a leveling with measurements from the top of the trunk (which is what was done with mine) rather than using the bubble leveler since there appears to have been some concern about this method. The supplies are within the video as well as within the description of the video for easy reference.

Good job, Motegi with the instructional pictures! Here is a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwMT8gh1I5k

Last edited:

Motegi

Been here awhile...
Fantastic post. I love the lift in your garage too. How much did you pay for that? I need to do the same thing so I don't have to store my 442 off site.
The 4 post lift came with the house from the prior owner. He kept his 911 on it so he could put his Harley's underneath. I think you can get a similar one from Costco.com the last time I checked.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.