Two big tech features missing?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
3,591
931
113
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
2017
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Apple’s car key will be missing from BMW also until sometime in 2022. Making its debut on the 2021 Genesis G80 and GV80, Genesis Digital Key is the latest advance in vehicle & smartphone integration, and can be expected as a feature in future newly introduced and redesigned Genesis models.
So don’t be disappointed, 2022 is a long way off for any brand.
 
Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

PaulZooms

Hasn't posted much yet...
57
39
18
Lakewood, CO
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
It’s a shame that they still seem to be missing two features I want in my next vehicle. One thats been around for a few years (wireless Apple CarPlay) , and one that’s more cutting edge: the capability to use your phone as your key.
BMW Announces Plans to Launch Ultra Wideband Version of Apple's Car Key Feature by Early Next Year
Given that smartphone as key for android is available on the Santa Fe, I can’t believe that it wouldn’t be included on the GV70. The GV80 includes “Genesis digital key” for Android. Presumably the IOS version will be added later.

I’d hope wireless CarPlay would be added later as well to keep up with thes Jones’s, but am less sure of this one.
 

sethsquire

Registered Member
488
565
93
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
FWIW my boss has wireless carplay on his 330 and it's broken more than it's functional.
______________________________
 

Blackjackmark

Registered Member
17
19
3
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have the Carplyay2air and it works 95% of the Time flawlessly. The other 5% it just needs to be rebooted and it works great.

So it can be done well, and will need to be if apple ever eliminates the charging port!
 

COToad

Look.... a curve!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
196
375
63
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have the Carplyay2air and it works 95% of the Time flawlessly. The other 5% it just needs to be rebooted and it works great.

So it can be done well, and will need to be if apple ever eliminates the charging port!
I have the Carlinkit 2.0 and have the same experience, great product that makes carplay much more convenient.

I had the same issues when I used a wire anyway, there were times where the phone just needed to be unplugged and then plugged in again.
 

snesbit

Registered Member
92
49
18
Genesis Model Year
2022
Genesis should provide an upgrade or accessory to fix this. The GV70 has a wireless charging pad and in the same compartment as the USB port. You have to make a choice that shouldn't have to be made. Either a) Don't use CarPlay or b) Use USB and Turn off the Wireless Charging Pad. Having 2 power sources simultaneously charging a phone could turn out not so well for the phone and possibly be dangerous.
______________________________
 

tdinps

Registered Member
48
42
18
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My top trim Kia Sorento has a wireless charger but no wireless Carplay. Interestingly, the lower trims with a smaller screen DO have wireless Carplay. Must be something about the larger more complicated screens.
 

tb3573

Registered Member
156
101
43
Genesis Model Year
2022
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Given that smartphone as key for android is available on the Santa Fe, I can’t believe that it wouldn’t be included on the GV70. The GV80 includes “Genesis digital key” for Android. Presumably the IOS version will be added later.

I’d hope wireless CarPlay would be added later as well to keep up with thes Jones’s, but am less sure of this one.
Android-phone-as-key is available now as is Keycard-as-key. As mentioned Apple-phone-as-key is not available. Agree on the wireless Auto/CarPlay - they should have solved that.

There's a lengthy thread on the forum talking about this topic, future digital keys, etc.

Edit: Look Ma - no keys
 

John Baxter

Getting familiar with the group...
231
97
28
FWIW my boss has wireless carplay on his 330 and it's broken more than it's functional.
Same as Hyundai, they are in all sorts of trouble with their Wireless Car Play in the i30... absolute junk and constantly drops connection and/or jams up the media unit. Rumors of a class action in Australia against Hyundai, it is so bad.

Hence why you don't see it in Genesis.
 

Unprocessed1

Registered Member
186
58
28
Genesis Model Year
2022
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Genesis should provide an upgrade or accessory to fix this. The GV70 has a wireless charging pad and in the same compartment as the USB port. You have to make a choice that shouldn't have to be made. Either a) Don't use CarPlay or b) Use USB and Turn off the Wireless Charging Pad. Having 2 power sources simultaneously charging a phone could turn out not so well for the phone and possibly be dangerous.
Can't you just flip the phone for the screen to touch the wireless charging pad while you have the USB plugged in?
______________________________
 

Blackjackmark

Registered Member
17
19
3
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Genesis should provide an upgrade or accessory to fix this. The GV70 has a wireless charging pad and in the same compartment as the USB port. You have to make a choice that shouldn't have to be made. Either a) Don't use CarPlay or b) Use USB and Turn off the Wireless Charging Pad. Having 2 power sources simultaneously charging a phone could turn out not so well for the phone and possibly be dangerous.
iPhones are smart enough to shut off wireless charging if they’re plugged in so that’s a non issue for them.
 

TBickell

Registered Member
775
385
63
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Non tech items that are missing so far for me are rotating headlights when turning, and headrests that only go up and down......not back to front.
 

Etex

Registered Member
347
264
63
That’s a very interesting idea. I’m going to try it today.
Another option might be using a thin spacer. Not sure with the newest tech but my older phone with an otterbox cover doesn't charge with cover on. (Rubber, wood, plastic)
______________________________
 

snesbit

Registered Member
92
49
18
Genesis Model Year
2022
Another option might be using a thin spacer. Not sure with the newest tech but my older phone with an otterbox cover doesn't charge with cover on. (Rubber, wood, plastic)
I tried it this morning and it works. Not the best solution (being wireless CarPlay) but with a short cord it works without the wireless charge kicking in.
 

snesbit

Registered Member
92
49
18
Genesis Model Year
2022
I have the Carplyay2air and it works 95% of the Time flawlessly. The other 5% it just needs to be rebooted and it works great.

So it can be done well, and will need to be if apple ever eliminates the charging port!
Question. That device would need to be in the GV70 wireless charging compartment, which is small. How did you get it in there and still allow for the Wireless Charger to work?
 

MLJumpman

New member
6
0
1
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners
Top