Two big tech features missing?

snesbit

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
I have the Carplyay2air and it works 95% of the Time flawlessly. The other 5% it just needs to be rebooted and it works great.

So it can be done well, and will need to be if apple ever eliminates the charging port!
Where do you put the carplay2air? There’s not enough room for the device and a phone in that compartment on the gv70 unless I’m missing sonething

BrianAmira

Registered Member
Where do you put the carplay2air? There’s not enough room for the device and a phone in that compartment on the gv70 unless I’m missing sonething
There is enough room, thats exactly how I have it. I used double sided tape to stick the carlinkit to the top felt and my phone freely drops into the remaining space with ease.

gocanesgo

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
For all CarPlay-enabled cars, it would be nice to have Apple Maps integrated into the heads up display and dashboard turn-by-turn. You only get the built-in nav showing on those.

dammitdana

Registered Member
Southern California
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
OK successfully started car and put in drive with no keys or card - only phone and registered driver.

Both smart keys in house... NFC card in house...
Unlock via phone app - successful
Enter vehicle
Tried starting vehicle via app - no dice - sitting in drivers seat
Tried starting vehicle via app - ducking over console so infrared eyeball scanner can't see me - no dice
Biometric scanner lit up
Put finger on scanner - STARTED and put in Drive... moved a few inches to confirm.

You can move car with phone only... not sure if that helps but fun research.

dammitdana

Registered Member
Southern California
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
For all CarPlay-enabled cars, it would be nice to have Apple Maps integrated into the heads up display and dashboard turn-by-turn. You only get the built-in nav showing on those.
Starting to like my bluetooth/turnbyturn better than car play. Plus phone overheats in all cars in carplay so I'm starting to hate it.

John Baxter

Getting familiar with the group...
I used double sided tape to stick the carlinkit to the top felt and my phone freely drops into the remaining space with ease.
I was going to buy this brand but read some bad reviews... drop outs, slow sync etc..

Can you confirm that it works with the GV70 and you have had no issues... and that it is worth buying?

thanks..

snesbit

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
I was going to buy this brand but read some bad reviews... drop outs, slow sync etc..

Can you confirm that it works with the GV70 and you have had no issues... and that it is worth buying?

thanks..
Which carlinkit device do you use for the GV70?

BrianAmira

Registered Member
Which carlinkit device do you use for the GV70?

thanks..
I am using the Carlinkit U2W Plus, purchased from Amazon at this link: Amazon.com: 2021 Wireless Carplay Adapter Suitable for The Car Models which Have OEM Wired CarPlay - Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay Connection, Support iOS System, for car from 2017 to Now (Black): GPS & Navigation

I have the 3.5T Sport Prestige, but assuming every model has the same infotainment/nav system, here are my thoughts on all of this after 30 days and 3,000 miles driven:
  1. After owning cars where the built-in nav was often neglected and too far behind current technology after just a few years, I decided never to buy a car without CarPlay in the future. My wife has a CarPlay only Hyundai, no onboard NAV at all, so I am able to compare it with my GV70 at any time when testing.
  2. My GV70 did NOT come from the factory with the most up-to-date infotainment/nav software. I installed the update from Official Genesis Navigation Update Website on day one of ownership.
  3. CarPlay itself is buggy as hell on the GV70, in ways that don't exist in any other car I have driven with CarPlay. I assume this is a Genesis issue and hope it will improve in future updates. These bugs are the same via wired or wireless.
  4. The onboard system's integration with the iPhone is less than optimal when you are NOT using CarPlay and connect only via bluetooth. You can't trigger Siri via a long press of the voice recognition button. CarPlay adds a few more annoyances itself when using the onboard NAV, like getting a text on the iPhone which will switch the entire system to CarPlay briefly before bouncing you back to onboard NAV. Overall, I find I prefer to NOT use CarPlay at all now.
  5. In my experience, other than an initially slower connection when you get in the car, the wireless adaptor works nearly perfectly and causes no ADDITIONAL problems with CarPlay. However, I learned quickly that if the wireless adaptor was left to rest against the wireless charging pad, I had lots of new problems. My install with the sticky tape holding it away from the pad solved this issue.
  6. The GV70's onboard NAV is far superior to Apple Maps and Google Maps via CarPlay. I now use the onboard NAV almost exclusively, and I use it a lot! I got my G70 two weeks before moving to Texas, where I have never lived in my life and do not know my way around at all. I need all the hand holding I can get on these highways and toll roads, and I need NAV to get anywhere.
In short, the Carlinkit works, I recommend it, and you should buy it from Amazon so you can have an easy return process if you don't like it. However, CarPlay is not bug/issue free on the GV70 and the onboard NAV is far superior in my usage.

Hope this helps! Feel free to send along any additional questions you have. I'm well seasoned IT professional and tech is my life. I'm a car hacker for fun and a long time Genesis fan. Owned the 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Ultimate before this GV70.

--Brian

LQQK

Just The Basic Facts
  1. I learned quickly that if the wireless adaptor was left to rest against the wireless charging pad, I had lots of new problems. My install with the sticky tape holding it away from the pad solved this issue.
Would the carlinkit work if plugged into the rear seat USB input?

snesbit

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
I am using the Carlinkit U2W Plus, purchased from Amazon at this link: Amazon.com: 2021 Wireless Carplay Adapter Suitable for The Car Models which Have OEM Wired CarPlay - Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay Connection, Support iOS System, for car from 2017 to Now (Black): GPS & Navigation

I have the 3.5T Sport Prestige, but assuming every model has the same infotainment/nav system, here are my thoughts on all of this after 30 days and 3,000 miles driven:
  1. After owning cars where the built-in nav was often neglected and too far behind current technology after just a few years, I decided never to buy a car without CarPlay in the future. My wife has a CarPlay only Hyundai, no onboard NAV at all, so I am able to compare it with my GV70 at any time when testing.
  2. My GV70 did NOT come from the factory with the most up-to-date infotainment/nav software. I installed the update from Official Genesis Navigation Update Website on day one of ownership.
  3. CarPlay itself is buggy as hell on the GV70, in ways that don't exist in any other car I have driven with CarPlay. I assume this is a Genesis issue and hope it will improve in future updates. These bugs are the same via wired or wireless.
  4. The onboard system's integration with the iPhone is less than optimal when you are NOT using CarPlay and connect only via bluetooth. You can't trigger Siri via a long press of the voice recognition button. CarPlay adds a few more annoyances itself when using the onboard NAV, like getting a text on the iPhone which will switch the entire system to CarPlay briefly before bouncing you back to onboard NAV. Overall, I find I prefer to NOT use CarPlay at all now.
  5. In my experience, other than an initially slower connection when you get in the car, the wireless adaptor works nearly perfectly and causes no ADDITIONAL problems with CarPlay. However, I learned quickly that if the wireless adaptor was left to rest against the wireless charging pad, I had lots of new problems. My install with the sticky tape holding it away from the pad solved this issue.
  6. The GV70's onboard NAV is far superior to Apple Maps and Google Maps via CarPlay. I now use the onboard NAV almost exclusively, and I use it a lot! I got my G70 two weeks before moving to Texas, where I have never lived in my life and do not know my way around at all. I need all the hand holding I can get on these highways and toll roads, and I need NAV to get anywhere.
In short, the Carlinkit works, I recommend it, and you should buy it from Amazon so you can have an easy return process if you don't like it. However, CarPlay is not bug/issue free on the GV70 and the onboard NAV is far superior in my usage.

Hope this helps! Feel free to send along any additional questions you have. I'm well seasoned IT professional and tech is my life. I'm a car hacker for fun and a long time Genesis fan. Owned the 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 Ultimate before this GV70.

--Brian

gocanesgo

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

--Brian
I also live in Texas (San Antonio). With all of the construction going on, the maps are out-of-date pretty quickly. That’s why I prefer CarPlay+Apple Maps.

snesbit

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Thank you. I bought the Carlinkit 2 this morning and it was delivered today! I first removed my old Bluetooth connection from the phone and car. Then turned the car off and plugged the device it in. In a few minutes it showed me the Bluetooth connection on my phone and on the car screen. I connected from the phone, hit one button on the screen and voila, wireless CarPlay. I’m seeing no delay of consequence on car startup and the steering wheel controls seem just as responsive with changing channels etc. the tuning wheel on the center console also works responsively.

Next I pulled out some black Velcro and cut it to size and cleanly fit it in the compartment on the opposite side of where the wireless charger is.

The Device is much smaller than expected. It’s sad genesis can’t integrate wireless CarPlay. This shouldn’t be necessary but it’s a clean working solution that implements wireless CarPlay and permits use of the wireless charger at the same time.

Now on the the next project…. Thanks for the helping!!

Last edited:

BrianAmira

Registered Member
I also live in Texas (San Antonio). With all of the construction going on, the maps are out-of-date pretty quickly. That’s why I prefer CarPlay+Apple Maps.
I do recommend that every genesis owner check the infotainment/NAV update website frequently. I make it a habit to check once a month. I want to say this again in case Any GV70 owner has not done so yet, run the update from the website now. The GV70s are not shipping from the factory with the most recent software release for the infotainment and NAV system.

LQQK

Just The Basic Facts
I do recommend that every genesis owner check the infotainment/NAV update website frequently. I make it a habit to check once a month. I want to say this again in case Any GV70 owner has not done so yet, run the update from the website now. The GV70s are not shipping from the factory with the most recent software release for the infotainment and NAV system.
What is the current update # and where is it located in the vehicle?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

--Brian
Fantastic write up man, thank you. I just put in an order for Android Auto Wireless as am a Samsung owner, but am going to try this Carlinkit you are suggesting.

For the navigation update, I am looking at the instructions but it isn't clear. Do I need to get the update on a USB stick after installing it on my PC? How does it actually get to the car itself? Thanks!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners