Unplanned street race/ highway short races.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
People can also get a bad tank of gas. My mother in law's car was running quite rough a day after she put gas in (usually $10 or $20 here or there) and I suspected bad gas. She got it down to 1/4 tank and I filled it with Exxon, and it smoothed out. I've heard of this happening to others, but not often. I think they can get crap in their tanks, or water.
Had bad gas twice. One I ran rough and diluted from another station and was good again. The other, stopped for gas on the way to work, eight hours later car ran for a few hundred yards. Towed to a shop, they removed fuel lines that were frozen.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
So have you truly notice a difference in shell V power vs chevron supreme ? Or not really since you came out with this . If so , like what exactly
In all honesty, I have only used two type of premium fuel in my Genesis on a regular basis; Shell and Exxon. I use Shell 99% of the time and maybe fill up at Exxon on my way from work if traffic is heavy and I did not fill up before going to work. The Exxon station is close to my work and I drive right pass it. The Shell stations are is bad locations when traffic is heavy.

Exxon 93 seems to run stronger, however Shell seems to run smoother. BP and Exxon seems to be the better performing 93 fuels I have used over the years in various cars. However, my engines seem to run smoother with Shell V-power even if they do not seem to run stronger. If I take my Genesis to the drag track then I would use Exxon 93.

The only other fuel used in my Genesis was some 87 Racetrack the Toyota dealership salesman filled my car up with on my test drive. He actually used the fact that the Genesis V8 can use 87 octane without any issues as an selling point when I asked him why he was putting 87 octane in the tank during the test drive. The car idled like crap(to my standards for a V8) and was very sluggish until I was able to fill it up with Shell V-power on the next fill up. Been running perfectly smooth ever since with no idling issues.

Note: Exxon makes the same claim as Shell about reducing friction. So I bet all the big names have a similar gas additive now. It all about how you want your car to run and which formula works for your diving style as to which brand is best. I like Shell silky smooth performance in my engines.

Last edited:

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
Well, I have many unplanned races to merge on to the highway on a couple roads I use to commute to work at night. Perfect, because I can go 0-60mph when the stop light turns green without the cops busting me for aggressive driving.

snip

The only cars I lost to at the merge light was a Lexus GS-F 5.0 sedan and a C7 Corvette, but I was close behind them to 70 mph before I dropped back.
Reminds me of a time in SC. My 2012 333hp 3.8 is usually just at the limit of traction from a stop if I floor it. Which makes it real easy to launch from a stop, without the traction nannies kicking in. I was sitting at a light where a 4 lane was ending down to 2. There was a built Corvette pulled up next to me at the light. His intention to be first at the merge was obvious. So when we got the green, I just floored it, and got a respectable launch thru the intersection. This so surprised the Vette that he just floored it to catch me. All I heard was wailing V8 and screaming spinning tires as I pulled away from him like I owned the road. You should have seen the look on his face a little further down the road when he found a passing zone, which I didn't not contest at all. I'd already had my fun!

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Reminds me of a time in SC. My 2012 333hp 3.8 is usually just at the limit of traction from a stop if I floor it. Which makes it real easy to launch from a stop, without the traction nannies kicking in. I was sitting at a light where a 4 lane was ending down to 2. There was a built Corvette pulled up next to me at the light. His intention to be first at the merge was obvious. So when we got the green, I just floored it, and got a respectable launch thru the intersection. This so surprised the Vette that he just floored it to catch me. All I heard was wailing V8 and screaming spinning tires as I pulled away from him like I owned the road. You should have seen the look on his face a little further down the road when he found a passing zone, which I didn't not contest at all. I'd already had my fun!
I had the 2012 3.8 (333 horses) before at the time, now the 17’ version. To be quite honest the 2012-2014 3.8 L is indeed faster (especially off the line grunt) than the current 3.8 L (311 horses) yes more torque (293) vs the 12’-14’ model ( 291) , but the horses makes a ton of difference. Im not going to lie, the 3.8 L makes you wanting for more. I would have gotten the 3.3 T but wanted to save more coins in my wallet, maybe i will sometime in the future but nonetheless im very happy with the current. Doesnt make sense why they would add more weight on the current generation then reduce horsepower , thats is backward. The new 2021+ g80 , turbo 4 cylinder, has 300 horsepower but also even 300 lb ft of torque & the car has a lesser curb weight, that right there is a nice balanced.

Sthompsonmv7

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
My opinion is the 3.8 is nice. Better gas mileage, but don't go head to head with the big boys and expect to win. Maybe stick to the lower model cars.. the 3.8 is good for what it is.The v6 twin turbos and the v8 can haul off the line. If you buy good tires which you should they don't even lose any grip off the line. I can punch it off the line and it will barely kick out at all. It gives me a little hesitation up hill.or over the paint but, it just hooks and goes.The mid range on the TT.v6 is good it carries nice to 140 no problem. It wasn't my car and thats as fast as they wanted to go. I have a v8 ultimate and it is pretty darn fast for a 4600 pound car. It depends where the race starts=dead stop. Or a roll. I have beat a s550, and a 7 series. Both bigger cars. Raced many mini ballers into their c and 3 series and they've got wrecked also out performed a 5 series through some winding roads. That was the driver though. Its easier to say who I lost too.. I got smoke but the new supra duh and the p100D tesla also duh. Cls 63 bmw m3 m4 and m2.. If I were you I would trade and get that new TT v6. Just about as fast as the V8. A little lighter =better handling and they are actually making parts for the car to improve the performance.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
It is funny when you dust some of the well known faster cars at a light and then see the driver checking your car out to see what it is that you are driving. I usually just give a smile nod if I get eye contact, because I also respect a quick car.

Yeah; some drivers will slow down on the highway and try to egg me on to another round if I beat them on the merge especially the younger Dodge drivers. I usually just let them have it by then since my point was already made.:)

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My opinion is the 3.8 is nice. Better gas mileage, but don't go head to head with the big boys and expect to win. Maybe stick to the lower model cars.. the 3.8 is good for what it is.The v6 twin turbos and the v8 can haul off the line. If you buy good tires which you should they don't even lose any grip off the line. I can punch it off the line and it will barely kick out at all. It gives me a little hesitation up hill.or over the paint but, it just hooks and goes.The mid range on the TT.v6 is good it carries nice to 140 no problem. It wasn't my car and thats as fast as they wanted to go. I have a v8 ultimate and it is pretty darn fast for a 4600 pound car. It depends where the race starts=dead stop. Or a roll. I have beat a s550, and a 7 series. Both bigger cars. Raced many mini ballers into their c and 3 series and they've got wrecked also out performed a 5 series through some winding roads. That was the driver though. Its easier to say who I lost too.. I got smoke but the new supra duh and the p100D tesla also duh. Cls 63 bmw m3 m4 and m2.. If I were you I would trade and get that new TT v6. Just about as fast as the V8. A little lighter =better handling and they are actually making parts for the car to improve the performance.
So today , i was a red light with my 3.8 L next to a most likely a chevy camaro SS. I told him when light turns green lets hit, put my car in sport mode , haha light turn green, no chance at all , he at aleast had like two car lengths of me. So yes ill just stick the lower models haha. I definitely know which cars i can beat and compete with and definitely its not the v8s , idk about the charger RT.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So today , i was a red light with my 3.8 L next to a most likely a chevy camaro SS. I told him when light turns green lets hit, put my car in sport mode , haha light turn green, no chance at all , he at aleast had like two car lengths of me. So yes ill just stick the lower models haha. I definitely know which cars i can beat and compete with and definitely its not the v8s , idk about the charger RT.
If you pull up beside a Charger R/T it's probably best to just smile and go on about your day.

Sthompsonmv7

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Why?? I already have a car that is almost as fast as the V8. And it's lighter, etc. *And*, it's *paid* for!!! ;-) ;-)
Almost only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades.
But congrats on having a car almost as fast and one that is paid off

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
If you pull up beside a Charger R/T it's probably best to just smile and go on about your day.
Agreed. The 3.8 will get smoked by an R/T model. The Dodge V6 models(Charger and Challenger) will be a good match up for trh 3.8 Geneisis sedan.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
What were you thinking? The 2016+ Camaro SS models are 4 second cars. I would not expect to win against the SS even with my 5.0 Genesis if the driver is ready for a race. Suprise would be my only advantage and hoping the driver does not use launch control.:)

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I am fine with the newer turbocharged V6 engine. It does produce more low end torque which helps propel the heavy Genesis promptly without having to floor it. The 2015 V8 model with the active sport suspension I have will be a unicorn soon, but I will probably still upgrade to a newer turbo-charged Genesis model in the future.

The Sprint Booster does change the nature of my Genesis. The Sprint Booster does have three modes-OFF,Sport, and Race. Sport and Race mode have 9 level each of adjustment.

My car can do 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds with the Sprint Booster in Race mode in ECO drive mode per a GPS Torque Pro test. However, the car is much faster in Sport mode with the Sprint Booster, but the 0-60 times are crap due to tire spin or the ESC system kicking in to control wheel spin. If my Genesis had a true LSD in the rear axle than my 0-60 times would be better in Sport mode. So more adding power is not always better alone without a balance chassis to take advantage of it.

Dodge Hemi drivers have been dealing with tire hooking up issues on the streets for a while even with the Hell Cat. Some Hell Cat 0-60mph times are as high as 5.2 seconds when the tires break loose on run.

The 3.8 Genesis is also very quick. I would try using premium gas in your car and see if the performance improves. But, like you said it is a quick car as is and can handle most inline 4's off the line. A Sprint Booster may help the 3.8 as well.

I love my 2015 5.0 and how it regularly surprises many other obnoxious "racer" wannabe's. Hearing about your experience with the Sprint Booster has me thinking about getting one for my car. The one thing that I absolutely love about my car is the combo of the 5.0 with AWD = no wheel spin off the line. Am I right in thinking that putting the Sprint Booster on its most aggressive setting, the car on Sport Mode, and all traction control OFF might really create a "perfect storm" of acceleration off the line??

If there is any rear wheel spin off the line, the front wheels are immediately engaged to assist with the pull. Right now, I understand that the throttle is somewhat initially limited by the computer but it's still a beast!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums