Unshrouded MAP sensors for better response

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
An old import speed hack is to cut away the rubber / plastic covering from the temp probe section of the MAP sensor to let it react quicker to intake air temp changes. The stock sensor, like on nearly every car in the past couple of decades, has the thermistor sealed inside rubber or plastic, presumably for longevity. This means it's also prone to heat soak. Stop at a red light or make your way through a drive-through and it could take a minute or more for it to reflect the actual temp of the air inside the intake manifold. Even then it reacts lazily as the air has to change the temp of the covering before being registered by the sensor.

I didn't take this as just a theory; I installed the Torque app on my phone and watched air temp in my Sonata in real time. It took forever for the sensor to register any difference while driving. Just when I was thinking of experimenting with modding the stock sensor I discovered that one company sells OEM-style MAP sensors with exposed temp sensors! That was a no-brainer purchase. I've run it in my Sonata (tune/intake/exhaust, runs 13s in the quarter) for over 6 months now with only positive results. It's easy to see that many "hot air intake" claims made about custom intakes were actually "slow temp sensor" issues. I can see temps drop as soon as I start to open the throttle. The engine's response is greatly improved because the ECU is getting more accurate information. It isn't being "fooled" like those ebay chips try to do -- you're giving it better info than it was getting stock.

map comparisons.jpg

I recently added the same sensor to my Equus. Temps here in GA have been in the mid-upper 90s and the car still seems to be "happier" getting the accurate signal. It was well worth the $40ish cost and 10 minute install time. Remember, you aren't gaining any peak power; you're just getting peak power more regularly by providing the ECU with more accurate and faster-reacting air temp data.

Brand: Facet
Part #: 10.3180 for any Hyundai v8 and most of their other naturally-aspirated engines

3.3 twin turbo guys (G70, G80, G90, Stinger): 10.3178
(will NOT work for 2.5T or 3.5T because they use new sensors)

You can find them on Amazon and ebay.

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
And the part numbers should be good for any vehicle on this forum except for the 2.5T and 3.5T cars.

I did a 300 mile trip this weekend and drivability was wonderful. This car is stupidly powerful after 80 mph, so much so that I kind of wish they would have devoted some of that excess to the 50 to 70 mph range. I've owned some fairly respectable cars (none stock) so that's really saying something.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just ordered one of these from Amazon. They are discontinued by the manufacturer. Just curious...any known alternatives?

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
It's a shame if they aren't being made anymore. I've not seen another brand that builds their sensors like this. Theoretically you can cut the plastic away from the thermistor on any sensor (even stock) but this was a lot easier - and reversible if I messed something up :D

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners