Upgrading from a Genesis Coupe to the Sedan general question

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Hi Guys and Gals.

I did a little Google search and saw this forum come up at the very top when searching for the sedan.

So i wanted to reach out to you all and get maybe some questions answered.

Currently i own a 2013 Coupe 3.8, reason i am upgrading to the sedan is because the family is growing and i need a bigger car with the added member. :)

The first question is for the people that have kids. How is the space in the back with a child seat? I have yet to actually went into the dealer with my child seat and want to ask if i can see the fitment. I know the car is pretty large, but i wanted to see if this might be a potential problem with one car seat in the back and potentially a second one in the future.

My other question is purchasing. I have snooped around the forums here and saw some purchasing prizes in different areas of the country. Now to use this as an example.
Let’s say the dealers around my area want 46k-48k for a fully loaded 2015 Genesis 3.8, but I see some other people in other parts of the country getting it for much less. What would be some pros and or cons if I would buy the car from a dealer from another state and have them ship the car to my state? This might be a dumb question, but, I honestly do not know. Or if this is even possible.

I’d greatly appreciate any help with these two questions.
Thanks in advance.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi Guys and Gals.

I did a little Google search and saw this forum come up at the very top when searching for the sedan.

So i wanted to reach out to you all and get maybe some questions answered.

Currently i own a 2013 Coupe 3.8, reason i am upgrading to the sedan is because the family is growing and i need a bigger car with the added member. :)

The first question is for the people that have kids. How is the space in the back with a child seat? I have yet to actually went into the dealer with my child seat and want to ask if i can see the fitment. I know the car is pretty large, but i wanted to see if this might be a potential problem with one car seat in the back and potentially a second one in the future.

My other question is purchasing. I have snooped around the forums here and saw some purchasing prizes in different areas of the country. Now to use this as an example.
Let’s say the dealers around my area want 46k-48k for a fully loaded 2015 Genesis 3.8, but I see some other people in other parts of the country getting it for much less. What would be some pros and or cons if I would buy the car from a dealer from another state and have them ship the car to my state? This might be a dumb question, but, I honestly do not know. Or if this is even possible.

I’d greatly appreciate any help with these two questions.
Thanks in advance.
The Genesis sedan is a relatively large car, so should be no problem with 2 child seats in the back.

You can go out of state to purchase a car, but not sure they if they can ship it to you directly. One dealer can ship it to another dealer, but I don't think that is what you want.

I don't know what kind of negotiating you have done, but you should be able to get one at similar price in most parts of the country. Obviously, the more Hyundai dealers there are in the same general area, the more competitive they will be. Negotiating skill is also important. What a dealer "wants" and what they will accept, is not always the same thing.

But in most cases you can go out of state, buy a car, and drive it back.

If you are willing to buy a 2015 model, they are being deeply discounted to make room the 2016 models already sitting in lots near the ports of entry for HMA.

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Thanks, Mark.

I will have to try a different dealer and see if he would budge more on the price. But, i am not really that great at negotiating and i hate being stuck at a dealer for a long time to make a car purchase.... URG.

But if a few 1000 could be potentially knocked off, then i will for sure give it more of a try. Thanks again for the info!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks, Mark.

I will have to try a different dealer and see if he would budge more on the price. But, i am not really that great at negotiating and i hate being stuck at a dealer for a long time to make a car purchase.... URG.

But if a few 1000 could be potentially knocked off, then i will for sure give it more of a try. Thanks again for the info!
You need to get at least $5K off MSRP on a 2015. Otherwise, we may have to terminate your membership to this forum.

Take a book or something to the dealer, let them play their games, but don't budge. Or you can go to TrueCar.com, use a car buying service at Costco, your bank, or whatever.

LandoAWD

Registered Member
Thanks, Mark.

I made 2 4hr round trips in 3 days because I had to walk out of the negotiations on a USED sedan the first trip. My trade was undervalued, and they were too firm on the sedan, so we parted ways, only to have my phone ring when I was half-way back to work.

Dealers know their bottom-dollar price the second you walk in the door, and some are more shrewd than others. Even if the sales-weasel doesn't, the floor manager does.

Play the game, get the most for your trade, and win. If you can't do this to save thousands on a multi-thousand dollar purchase, you don't want the car.

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Ok, very very helpful here. thanks all for the input.

Mark, i did go onto TrueCar.com and did a search, so according to the 3 dealers that it shows in my area and surrounding, my dealer was the most expensive one!! both other dealers had an additional $2.000 off of what my dealer could do... Now this just blew me away due to the other dealer only being about 30 miles away!!

So now if i print out this coupon and present it to the dealer, he HAS to give me that price but only for the car that i put together, correct? Or if the car in that color combo is not available but in a different color would this coupon still be honored? Sorry for the newbi question.

Thanks again

Man of Mystery

Registered Member
It's been my experience that the TrueCar price can be beat if you are willing to do a little negotiating and haggling.

Knowing the TrueCar price is a tool, just as is knowing the dealer's cost. At this time of the model year if you are looking at a 2015 you should be able to negotiate a price well below the "dealer's cost" or the invoice price. When I purchased my Genesis I had TrueCar quotes from every Hyundai dealer in the area (a bunch here in the DC area) and the quotes varied quite a bit. The dealer I bought from was the closest to me and his original price wasn't the lowest, but by the time we finished the negotiations over the period of a week I got the car I wanted at the price I wanted and it was well below any of the TrueCar quotes I had received.

There is nothing wrong with letting your preferred dealer knowing that you are also shopping at other dealers in the area. Use all the tools available to get the best price that you can (or can feel comfortable with).

Good luck.

RN2X

Been here awhile...
They have to give you that price on the car optioned out as specd on the certificate. Color does not matter. If you do not like to haggle and are happy with the truecar price just hand them the certificate from the start and it will be an easy process. I would go to the closest dealer and show them the lowest price certifiate that you have and ask if they will match that price. If they say no then make the drive to that dealership. Are you going to have a trade in?

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
They have to give you that price on the car optioned out as specd on the certificate. Color does not matter. If you do not like to haggle and are happy with the truecar price just hand them the certificate from the start and it will be an easy process. I would go to the closest dealer and show them the lowest price certifiate that you have and ask if they will match that price. If they say no then make the drive to that dealership. Are you going to have a trade in?

Yes, i will be trading in my 2013 Genesis Coupe. I wanted to go to my original dealer where i had already bought my other 2 Hyundais from,but he is the one that charges more even on the TrueCar price. But i will just have to do the negotiation, maybe i'll deal with it online until i get a good price from that dealer and then and only then i will go in.

RN2X

Been here awhile...
They will sell it for the truecar price but they are going to try and stick it to you on the trade.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
They will sell it for the truecar price but they are going to try and stick it to you on the trade.
Take the trade to CarMax. I believe they will make an offer on the spot.

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca
Take the trade to CarMax. I believe they will make an offer on the spot.

Carmax will low ball you, but you do have to remember the offer will be at or below the wholesale price of the car, and substantially less than you can sell it yourself. They offered me 3500 for my 2005 Camry, I put it up for sale on Saturday, I just sold it today for 8K.

I would have rather give it to a person at a fantastic price than sell it at wholesale to a dealer, who will then make money on it, just a pet peeve of mine.

Charles

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Carmax will low ball you, but you do have to remember the offer will be at or below the wholesale price of the car, and substantially less than you sell it yourself. They offered me 3500 for my 2005 Camry, I just sold it today for 8K.
I would not expect CarMax to offer a dime over wholesale. Despite what one may think about a dealer offer on trade-in, they will not offer more than wholesale either.

If you think a dealer will give more than wholesale, then what is really happening is that they making the money on the new car. In other words, if you bought the new car only without trade, you could have got it for less than with a trade-in and an offer that is above wholesale for trade-in value.

The whole economics of the used car business is buying at wholesale, and selling at retail. In fact, that the economics of all businesses.

Also, on a 10-year-old car, the dealer is very unlikely to keep it on their lot. They will wholesale it, so that is why they cannot offer you more than wholesale. Your Toyota seems to have some upgrades like after-market rims and tires (and other stuff) that a dealer can make zero on at wholesale, but you obviously found a buyer who is willing to pay for these things.

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca
I would not expect CarMax to offer a dime over wholesale. Despite what one may think about a dealer offer on trade-in, they will not offer more than wholesale either.

If you think a dealer will give more than wholesale, then what is really happening is that they making the money on the new car. In other words, if you bought the new car only without trade, you could have got it for less than with a trade-in and an offer that is above wholesale for trade-in value.

The whole economics of the used car business is buying at wholesale, and selling at retail. In fact, that the economics of all businesses.

Mark and I are on the same page. My first payment is not until Dec, I knew that I would have no problem selling the car before that, and I know I got a better deal by not trading the car in.

Charles

PatrickStern

Registered Member
Los Angeles
I could potentially private sell my car, i did look into this already and gave it some thought. Altho i still owe money on the car and i'm not sure how much people want to deal with a car that still has a lien on it...

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca
I could potentially private sell my car, i did look into this already and gave it some thought. Altho i still owe money on the car and i'm not sure how much people want to deal with a car that still has a lien on it...

I still owe on the 2005 Camry, the new buyer is going to my Credit Union with a check, once the car is paid off, the Credit union issues him a lien release that allows him to register the car at DMV. The key is calling them ahead of time so that they can have the paperwork ready for you.

Now if you sell it for less than you owe, then that is another story all together, because you have to have the difference, this is being upside down on a car. A lot people trade in cars that are upside down and the dealer just tacks the difference on the price of the car, people don't have the cash and want the convenience.

Charles

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums