Upgrading rear deck subwoofer on lexicon 17 speaker system for 2012 equus?

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Well im going all in...im removing 8 inch sub with a port to a box in the trunk to hold a 1000 watt 12inch...using module to change the digital signal to analog...adding amp and something to keep ohm level the same from input to keep radio thinking its still got stock sub...a remote bass knob to control amp from driver seat...
Anyone else try anything like this...or have upgraded their sub with alot better results? Would appreciate any feed back. Ty

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have not done anything yet, but I have the exact same audio system as you. I would suggest you remove the stock sub (like you said) then it depends on what type of bass you want. I think 1 sealed 12inch speaker with around 300-500 watts will be way more than enough. My previous vehicle (Acura TL) I had 2 12inch JL Audio subwoofers with 700 watts total and it sounded great! It would make my nose hairs tickle...sorry for the random mental picture! But seriously. You just need to remove the stock sub (or leave it in) and tap into the speaker wires going into it. Then simply run those to your amplifier if it has speaker level inputs, or if not then convert the speaker level to RCA. I would suggest getting an amp that has speaker level inputs.

And by the way, there is no need to try and design a port to shoot up through where the stock sub was. A sealed box (smaller and better sounding) with a good amount of power will be great

Good luck!

g_840154

I have not done anything yet, but I have the exact same audio system as you. I would suggest you remove the stock sub (like you said) then it depends on what type of bass you want. I think 1 sealed 12inch speaker with around 300-500 watts will be way more than enough. My previous vehicle (Acura TL) I had 2 12inch JL Audio subwoofers with 700 watts total and it sounded great! It would make my nose hairs tickle...sorry for the random mental picture! But seriously. You just need to remove the stock sub (or leave it in) and tap into the speaker wires going into it. Then simply run those to your amplifier if it has speaker level inputs, or if not then convert the speaker level to RCA. I would suggest getting an amp that has speaker level inputs.

And by the way, there is no need to try and design a port to shoot up through where the stock sub was. A sealed box (smaller and better sounding) with a good amount of power will be great

Good luck!
Lexicon 17 speaker sound system is digital. You have to put a digital to analog converter to it unless your using a digital amp....then you got the ohm issue...this stock head unit will shut that xhanel down if it senses more ohms on sub channel...adding amp will do that by the way.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Lexicon 17 speaker sound system is digital. You have to put a digital to analog converter to it unless your using a digital amp....then you got the ohm issue...this stock head unit will shut that xhanel down if it senses more ohms on sub channel...adding amp will do that by the way.
You may be able to remove the stock subwoofer and then tap into it's speaker leads so that the impedance(ohms) do not lower to prevent the stock amp from going into fail safe.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.