Upgrading two for the price of one...

daviderle

Registered Member
Up till three weeks ago I had it all figured out, sometime next year give the white R-Spec with 42k miles to the Mrs, trade in her 2009 4.6 with almost 100k miles for the yet to be revealed 2020 G80 model, but as often the case, best laid plan never seem to work out the way we want, especially with unanticipated disasters...

So here I am driving to work slowing down to less than 25mph to take a left turn, on the last day of November, when a 200lb+ animal decides to cross two lane highway, hits my R-Spec from the side, takes the entire passenger headlight, flies in the air, comes right at me, fortunately I instinctively held one arm to the windshield before the deer hit it (otherwise I would have been dead, according to the insurance adjuster), the deer bounces and hits the roof on top me, exactly on the B pillar on the driver side, then rolls off and runs across the other sides, all the while cars screeching around me, I stop have look around, it does not look that bad, as I didn’t feel a thing, other drivers make sure that I was all right! I think nothing of it, thinking hay it’s just a headlamp and small roof dent, so I took it the repair shop, only to find how lucky I was that the windshield held, not only the roof was bent, but the frame was also bent due to way the animal hit the roof, so repairing her was out of the question. Right there and then, I decided for me another Genesis it is.

Now the Mrs is happy that I was still in one piece, but upset that she is not getting her ‘white princess’, no worries I will get you anything you want dear! So off we go for few days of test driving the usual suspects, a G80, a GS, Infinit Q70, ES, E350, In the same week while she still deciding, the 2009 Geni gear box starts to act up at exactly 10 years 11 days, with 100897 miles! Oh no, so now I am two cars down, buying a new G80 was now out of the question but we still both wanted a Genesis, so the next morning walked in to one of most trusted dealerships in Atlanta, trade in her Geni and walked out with a 5.0 2015 parisian gray/black interior and a 3.8 2016 RWD while/black ultimate, both just a tad over 20k miles, with the added 10/100k b2b wrap warranty, just to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the future.

Now I lived with both of them for couple of weeks and still in the discovery phase, I must say I am pretty impressed with both of them and glad how things worked out...

Here are my impressions so far:
- Neither the Mrs or I liked the H-Trac.
- We both love the HUD, but I do miss the Apple CarPlay when driving her car.
- Start/stop cruise control is 1000 fold better than the R-Spec one.
- Oddly I found the 3.8 exhaust note is more satisfying than the 5.0.
- She loves the trunk auto open feature on both cars.
- All the safety toys/nannies are impeccable.
- As time goes by, I missing the R-Spec untamed and unpredictable power curve less and less.
- As far as I can tell, I did not miss out on anything by not jumping into a G80, save the surround camera on the 19 model.

So all in all, I am blessed to be alive! I am hopeful that these two will be as trouble free as the previous ones, as life is too short and thank you for allowing me to share my updates with you all...

inisfree

Hasn't posted much yet...
Similar issue here...unexpected upgrade!
So I found a 2015 Genesis with everything I want but it has the 3.8L and not the 5.0L (Coming from a 4.6L 2012, loaded).
Question for you: would you be Ok driving the 3.8L.
Extra note: I've recently start driving a lot of miles and the gas savings with the 3.8 looks attractive (20k per year).
Thanks!

daviderle

Registered Member
Similar issue here...unexpected upgrade!
So I found a 2015 Genesis with everything I want but it has the 3.8L and not the 5.0L (Coming from a 4.6L 2012, loaded).
Question for you: would you be Ok driving the 3.8L.
!
I loved driving that car and on paper the 4.6 is faster 0-60, but surprisingly the 3.8 drives and feels very nippy, as well as more ‘planted’ by comparison, sort of more grown up!
If you don’t need / want AWD/H-Trac I felt the RWD is lighter on its feet.
As far as ‘loaded, IMHO if you found a tech (you can tell it has cool/heat/seats/^P underneath the gear stick) or an ultimate (has DIS dial) you should be pleased with the upgrade, HUD is awesome on the ultimate, but the tech has Android/CarPlay :D
Good luck with your hunt.

tx_boy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That adjuster is lying his ass off!!!!! LMFAO No way in HELL you stopped that animal from going through your windshield by your hand, f$%king impossible!!!! I am glad you are okay but your adjuster is full of shit point blank.

daviderle

Registered Member
I am with you my man, those windshields on our Gennys can take a lot of force for sure...
Regardless they paid and I moved on, even though it was one of those ‘life flashing before your eyes’ moments...

tx_boy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Glad you are safe and got some new beautiful cars for you and the Misses!!!!

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well, well...let's see who's "back"!!! it's good to see you David, congrats on your new toys! I'm pretty sure you'll love your 5.0, how it handles, much better/smoother than 1st. generation Genesis. I'm on my 3rd. Genesis and I don't look back, I liked my rspec, but now I love my G80 sport a lot! and it's faster than 5.0! :drive::grinlaugh:

daviderle

Registered Member
Thank you my man, it has been a crazy year for sure..,
Indeed catching up as I did get a glimpse of that beautiful $3xy red number, and oh boy that upgrade!!! 500tq!? Wow my man, that must be lovely to put your foot down..: D Congratulations
it looks lovely especially with the way you take those photos... you are a master...

daviderle

Registered Member
I'd say things worked out beautifully. Also glad to hear you were not injured. Does the DW ever want to snag the 5.0 for a spin?
Thank you on both counts.
Funny you should mention that, indeed she has gone for a spin in the 5.0 once or twice, but she is a speed demon as it is, so she is no longer allowed, especially after she got caught speeding 64 in a 45 miles zone in her 3.8 the other week :eek:, remarkably she managed to talk her way out of a ticket!
You can imagine my reaction, ‘dear one, I know this thing is quiet as a tomb, but can you explain to me how you managed to do that, when the speed limit is displayed right there in your HUD next to that enlarged speedometer?’
Until the blue link subscription runs out, she is in time out, as I enabled the curfew mode on her car so I get an alert each time she goes over 55 :devilish:

Last edited:

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thank you on both counts.
Funny you should mention that, indeed she has gone for a spin in the 5.0 once or twice, but she is a speed demon as it is, so she is no longer allowed, especially after she got caught speeding 64 in a 45 miles zone in her 3.8 the other week :eek:, remarkably she managed to talk her way out of a ticket!
You can imagine my reaction, ‘dear one, I know this thing is quiet as a tomb, but can you explain to me how you managed to do that, when the speed limit is displayed right there in your HUD next to that enlarged speedometer?’
Until the blue link subscription runs out, she is in time out, as I enabled the curfew mode on her car so I get an alert each time she goes over 55 :devilish:
Funny how they always manage to "talk :boobs:" their way out of it.. wheres my equality!!

daviderle

Registered Member
Don't be jealous , because she can drive and you don't! that's not fair! :spoton::clown:
I don’t know about that... I have already appreciated the freedom provided by the full ESC disable at least few times, keeping in mind I really should not need a new set of tires so soon :ROFLMAO:, but when I get closer to that time, I do need to document my findings as chapter two of the story.... Oh wait, should that be chapter 4, since technically I signed for her car first? ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.